Architecture Council/Meetings/January 14 2010
< Architecture Council | Meetings
Revision as of 01:43, 14 January 2010 by Martin.oberhuber.windriver.com
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday January 14, 2010 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin|
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid|
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063
All AC Members are invited.
- PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
|BIRT:||Wenfeng Li||Gary Xue|
|DTP:||Brian Payton||Linda Chan|
|Eclipse:||Mike Wilson||John Arthorne|
|RT:||Jeff McAffer|| |
|STP:||Oisin Hurley|| |
|TPTP:||Eugene Chan|| |
|WTP:||Tim deBoer|| |
- Regrets: Wayne Beaton, Dave Carver, Ed Merks (travelling), Tom Schindl (travelling), Darin Swanson, Gunnar Wagenknecht (vacation), Tom Watson (travelling)
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
Review of Last Meeting
- Architecture Council/Meetings/December 10 2009
- (old) Tools and Tech PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor; mentorless projects due to AC members quitting or falling dormant
- (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
- Martin to file bug for asking Mik hyperlink Wikitext / crowdsourcing Docs handbook on the Architecture Council/Top Ten Project Development Practices page
- Martin Ask PC to think about an "e4 ready" requirement for next year's train
- Martin Ask e4 team to pitch a migration talk at EclipseCon.
- Still open items moved to #Action Items
e4 - current state of affairs
git at Eclipse - current state of affairs
- is Git for Committers still up to date with bug 280583 complete for the read-only git of all of Eclipse
- could instructions be simplified for the most common use cases:
- Getting source for a plugin I want to change
- Adding a branch for a patch of mine
- Rebasing my branch to a new milestone
target platform docs
- Today, all searchable documentation is for the development host (e.g. o.e.platform.doc.isv)
- When I develop against multiple target platforms, how can I access correct documentation?
- Sample use cases:
- Use Eclipse 3.6m4 development host but work on the R3_5_maintenance brach as target platform
- WTP: Documentation for the server-side target e.g. servlets
- CDT: Documentation for the C runtime I develop against
- RT/Equinox: Documentation for the target I develop against
- Any known solutions? What are people doing today?
- What could be done from an architectural point of view?
Items for next meeting
Regular briefing on the status of e4.
We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:
- DaveC would like to discuss New Committer Guidelines; Scrum / Agile techniques
- bug 285074 - Dave Carver - Hudsonbuilder and write access to the cvs / svn repo
- bug 288721 - Sonar / Eclemma - Cedric Brun, Dave Carver
- bug 283745 - Maven Repository at Eclipse
- bug 288393 - Denis - Bugzilla Best Practices
- The art of project release naming - no bug yet ?!?
- AC Bugzilla backlog
- See also Architecture Council/Open Issues for overflow items that were not discussed
- News from the EMO and Councils ?
- (old) Martin to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
- (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
- While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
- (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
- (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
- (old) Dave C work with Wayne on a "handbook" for project criteria for becoming a committer (referencing committer guidelines)
- (old) Dave C come up with a document how to save build resources
- (old) Dave C to try bugzilla UNCONFIRMED state
- Wayne to ask Sonatype about Nexus test installation
- Wayne to try doing a 3.6m2 API Report on Helios m2
- Wayne to ask EclipseCon PC/Donald if we can get a room for e4 Hack-a-thon (migration, creating plug-ins, etc.)
- Wayne to discuss "e4 ready" marketing campaign with Ian.
- 'Ed to tell Cloudsmith about bug 283745 Maven