Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/January 14 2010"

 
(5 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 61: Line 61:
  
 
* '''Signed-up:''' John Arthorne, Boris Bokowski, Eugene Chan, Linda Chan, Doug Clarke, Tim deBoer, Oisin Hurley, Andrew Overholt, Martin O, Brian Payton, Mary Ruddy, Doug Schaefer, Mike Wilson, Darin Wright
 
* '''Signed-up:''' John Arthorne, Boris Bokowski, Eugene Chan, Linda Chan, Doug Clarke, Tim deBoer, Oisin Hurley, Andrew Overholt, Martin O, Brian Payton, Mary Ruddy, Doug Schaefer, Mike Wilson, Darin Wright
* '''Regrets:''' Wayne Beaton, Nick Boldt (phone problems), Cédric Brun (conflict), Dave Carver, Mik Kersten (conflict), Markus Knauer (travelling), Ed Merks (travelling), Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl (travelling), Darin Swanson, Sebastian Voigt, Gunnar Wagenknecht (vacation), Tom Watson (travelling), Oliver Wolf
+
* '''Regrets:''' Wayne Beaton, Nick Boldt (phone problems), Cédric Brun (conflict), Dave Carver, Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Mik Kersten (conflict), Markus Knauer (travelling), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Ed Merks (travelling), Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl (travelling), Darin Swanson, Sebastian Voigt, Gunnar Wagenknecht (vacation), Tom Watson (travelling), Oliver Wolf
* '''No-Show:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Adrian Colyer, Sven Efftinge, John Graham, Neil Hauge, Bernd Kolb, Wenfeng Li, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Antoine Toulme, Dave Williams, Gary Xue
+
* '''No-Show:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Adrian Colyer, Sven Efftinge, John Graham, Neil Hauge, Bernd Kolb, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Antoine Toulme, Dave Williams, Gary Xue
  
 
== Agenda / Notes ==
 
== Agenda / Notes ==
Line 69: Line 69:
 
=== Review of Last Meeting ===
 
=== Review of Last Meeting ===
 
* [[Architecture Council/Meetings/December 10 2009]]
 
* [[Architecture Council/Meetings/December 10 2009]]
* (''old'') '''Tools and Tech PMC's''' to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor; mentorless projects due to AC members quitting or falling dormant
 
* (''old'') '''Martin''' to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
 
* '''Martin''' to file bug for asking Mik hyperlink Wikitext / crowdsourcing Docs handbook on the [[Architecture Council/Top Ten Project Development Practices]] page
 
 
* [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] '''Martin''' Ask PC to think about an "e4 ready" requirement for next year's train
 
* [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] '''Martin''' Ask PC to think about an "e4 ready" requirement for next year's train
 
* [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] '''Martin''' Ask e4 team to pitch a migration talk at EclipseCon.
 
* [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] '''Martin''' Ask e4 team to pitch a migration talk at EclipseCon.
Line 105: Line 102:
 
** Andrew O: For C lib docs, linuxtools has a simple toggle to switch docs
 
** Andrew O: For C lib docs, linuxtools has a simple toggle to switch docs
 
** '''AI Andrew''' to follow up with more info for Martin about switching target platform docs in linuxtools
 
** '''AI Andrew''' to follow up with more info for Martin about switching target platform docs in linuxtools
 +
 +
Follow-up:
 +
* {{bug|76005}} filter help by criteria; {{bug|
 +
* {{bug|306162}} hyperlinks pointing to a target that may not be unique
 +
* {{bug|306164}} contributing TOC extensions to an anchor that may not be unique
 +
  
 
==== git at Eclipse - current state of affairs ====
 
==== git at Eclipse - current state of affairs ====
Line 113: Line 116:
 
** Rebasing my branch to a new milestone
 
** Rebasing my branch to a new milestone
 
* Andrew using the read-only git mirrors and following egit-dev
 
* Andrew using the read-only git mirrors and following egit-dev
** '''AI Andew O''' file a bug to track adding dummy docs
+
** '''AI Andew O''' file a bug to track adding dummy docs -> {{bug|299663}}
 
** egit seems to be progressing well
 
** egit seems to be progressing well
 
* Martin interested in a "git at eclipse for dummies" documentation ... what's the easiest way to get going
 
* Martin interested in a "git at eclipse for dummies" documentation ... what's the easiest way to get going
Line 165: Line 168:
 
* (''old'') '''Wayne''' to discuss "e4 ready" marketing campaign with Ian.
 
* (''old'') '''Wayne''' to discuss "e4 ready" marketing campaign with Ian.
 
* (''old'') ''''Ed''' to tell Cloudsmith about {{bug|283745}} Maven
 
* (''old'') ''''Ed''' to tell Cloudsmith about {{bug|283745}} Maven
* '''Andrew''' to follow up with more info for Martin about switching target platform docs in linuxtools
+
* (''old'') '''Tools and Tech PMC's''' to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor; mentorless projects due to AC members quitting or falling dormant
* '''Andrew''' to file bug for better documenting "git at Eclipse for dummiees" and add bug number to AC notes
+
* (''old'') '''Martin''' to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
 +
* (''old'') '''Martin''' to file bug for asking Mik hyperlink Wikitext / crowdsourcing Docs handbook on the [[Architecture Council/Top Ten Project Development Practices]] page
 +
* [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] '''Andrew''' to follow up with more info for Martin about switching target platform docs in linuxtools
 +
* [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] '''Andrew''' to file bug for better documenting "git at Eclipse for dummiees" and add bug number to AC notes -> {{bug|299663}}
 
* '''Tim''' write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
 
* '''Tim''' write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
* '''Martin''' to investigate status of the Eclipse [[Nexus Project]]
+
* [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] '''Martin''' to investigate status of the Eclipse [[Nexus Project]]
  
  

Latest revision as of 02:48, 17 March 2010

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday January 14, 2010 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063

Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Gary Xue
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
DSDP: Martin Oberhuber
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
RT: Jeff McAffer Tom Watson
STP: Antoine Toulme Oisin Hurley
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht (vacation) Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
TPTP: Eugene Chan Joanna Kubasta (unofficial)
WTP: Tim deBoer Dave Carver
  • Signed-up: John Arthorne, Boris Bokowski, Eugene Chan, Linda Chan, Doug Clarke, Tim deBoer, Oisin Hurley, Andrew Overholt, Martin O, Brian Payton, Mary Ruddy, Doug Schaefer, Mike Wilson, Darin Wright
  • Regrets: Wayne Beaton, Nick Boldt (phone problems), Cédric Brun (conflict), Dave Carver, Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Mik Kersten (conflict), Markus Knauer (travelling), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Ed Merks (travelling), Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl (travelling), Darin Swanson, Sebastian Voigt, Gunnar Wagenknecht (vacation), Tom Watson (travelling), Oliver Wolf
  • No-Show: Chris Aniszczyk, Adrian Colyer, Sven Efftinge, John Graham, Neil Hauge, Bernd Kolb, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Antoine Toulme, Dave Williams, Gary Xue

Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

New Topics

e4 - current state of affairs

  • McQ: e4 feels 1 milestone behind where it should be (original goal was self-hosting by Christmas)
  • McQ: Look and feel in e4 for the SDK: Susan Franklin created some Markups in bug 293481 please add constructive criticism
    • e.g. how much whitespace should be expected etc
    • note that an e4 goal is to support multiple looks / feels
  • How could AC help / e4 be promoted / early adoption?
    • McQ wants selfhosting running by Eclipsecon, thats the right time to start thinking about early adoption
    • It would be good to find people who build stuff on "plain e4" rather than the compatibility layer... but currently that is more realistic for standalone rcp apps (RSSOwl?)
    • Shape of the model should be pretty stable by now, but rest is in flux... so migrating now would be more about helping e4 than helping apps
    • Other candidate: anybody interested in building a web based UI component (hosted in Eclipse but also in a browser) like igoogle home pages... e.g. junit tests running on server show results in something like the junit view rather than plain xml
  • Doug S: Ribbon IDE? Toolbar still looks very ugly on Susan's markups
    • Legal says: In order to use the Ribbon lnf in an app, one has to sign an agreement with MS which says one is not competing with MS. Pushing that requirement on every consumer of the Platform makes this a non starter in the Platform

target platform docs

  • Today, all searchable documentation is for the development host (e.g. o.e.platform.doc.isv)
  • When I develop against multiple target platforms, how can I access correct documentation?
  • Sample use cases:
    • Use Eclipse 3.6m4 development host but work on the R3_5_maintenance brach as target platform
    • WTP: Documentation for the server-side target e.g. servlets
    • CDT: Documentation for the C runtime I develop against
    • RT/Equinox: Documentation for the target I develop against
  • Any known solutions? What are people doing today?
  • What could be done from an architectural point of view?
    • Darin W: UA might be smart enough in terms of its webserver to look for documentation in the target rather than the host
    • McQ: Chris G looking at a related IBM usecase... want to have a single large infocenter with docs for multiple products, but have a particular view into that
    • Andrew O: For C lib docs, linuxtools has a simple toggle to switch docs
    • AI Andrew to follow up with more info for Martin about switching target platform docs in linuxtools

Follow-up:

  • bug 76005 filter help by criteria; {{bug|
  • bug 306162 hyperlinks pointing to a target that may not be unique
  • bug 306164 contributing TOC extensions to an anchor that may not be unique


git at Eclipse - current state of affairs

  • is Git for Committers still up to date with bug 280583 complete for the read-only git of all of Eclipse
  • could instructions be simplified for the most common use cases:
    • Getting source for a plugin I want to change
    • Adding a branch for a patch of mine
    • Rebasing my branch to a new milestone
  • Andrew using the read-only git mirrors and following egit-dev
    • AI Andew O file a bug to track adding dummy docs -> bug 299663
    • egit seems to be progressing well
  • Martin interested in a "git at eclipse for dummies" documentation ... what's the easiest way to get going
  • DougS using git for some C projects, unsure about import workflow

Tracing

  • TimD: Usage of tracing API (-debug optionsfile) has some drawbacks (restart eclipse, use commandline, how to create optionsfile)
    • Every component uses System.out differently
    • In e3.4 a new tracing service was added to solve all those issues (dynamically turn options on/off) but not quite finished
    • Some things going on in e3.6 to improve tracing API (too much output right now)
    • Q: Anybody else interested? Should we have a standard way of doing tracing?
  • BrianP: Sounds great!
  • As a first step, ask projects to use the Platform tracing API rather than rolling their own (in order to get consistent usage of timestamps etc, and support dynamic on/off of tracing options)
  • AI Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API

AC Backlog Discussions

  • bug 288721 - Sonar / Eclemma - Cedric Brun, Dave Carver
    • Oisin tried it in the context of Maven, likes it
    • AI Oisin CC on the bug
  • bug 267144 - Re-use of micro components
    • Boris: Orbit works very well... but it looks like the problem is not urgent enough
    • Kosta proposed the Nexus Project some time ago ... status of this?
    • Suggest waiting for somebody to sign up for that work
    • AI Martin investigate status of Nexus project
  • bug 261408 - Simpler infrastructure for microprojects
    • Related to bug 235828 better standard website template, have more web infrastructure auto-generated

Items for next meeting

Regular briefing on the status of e4.

Action Items

  • (old) Martin to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
  • (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
    • While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
  • (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
  • (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
  • (old) Dave C work with Wayne on a "handbook" for project criteria for becoming a committer (referencing committer guidelines)
  • (old) Dave C come up with a document how to save build resources
  • (old) Dave C to try bugzilla UNCONFIRMED state
  • (old) Wayne to ask Sonatype about Nexus test installation
  • (old) Wayne to try doing a 3.6m2 API Report on Helios m2
  • (old) Wayne to ask EclipseCon PC/Donald if we can get a room for e4 Hack-a-thon (migration, creating plug-ins, etc.)
  • (old) Wayne to discuss "e4 ready" marketing campaign with Ian.
  • (old) 'Ed to tell Cloudsmith about bug 283745 Maven
  • (old) Tools and Tech PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor; mentorless projects due to AC members quitting or falling dormant
  • (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • (old) Martin to file bug for asking Mik hyperlink Wikitext / crowdsourcing Docs handbook on the Architecture Council/Top Ten Project Development Practices page
  • Ok green.gif Andrew to follow up with more info for Martin about switching target platform docs in linuxtools
  • Ok green.gif Andrew to file bug for better documenting "git at Eclipse for dummiees" and add bug number to AC notes -> bug 299663
  • Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • Ok green.gif Martin to investigate status of the Eclipse Nexus Project


Next Meeting