Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/January 13 2011"

(New page: {|border=1 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=4 | Meeting Title: | '''Architecture Council Monthly Meeting''' |- | Date & Time: | Thursday January 13, 2011 at [http://www.timeanddate.com/world...)
 
 
(7 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 11: Line 11:
  
 
== Attendees ==
 
== Attendees ==
All [[Architecture Council/Members and Mentors|AC Members]] are invited.
 
* '''PMC Reps''' please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
 
  
{|border=1 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=1
+
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict)
| '''BIRT:'''
+
* '''Signed-up:''' Achim Loerke, Kim Moir, Doug Schaefer, Andrew Overholt, Kenn Hussey, Wayne Beaton, Linda Chan
| <strike>Wenfeng Li</strike>
+
| Gary Xue
+
|-
+
| '''DTP:'''
+
| Brian Payton
+
| Linda Chan
+
|-
+
| '''Eclipse:'''
+
| Mike Wilson
+
| John Arthorne<br/>Boris Bokowski
+
|-
+
| '''Modeling:'''
+
| Ed Merks
+
| Cédric Brun<br/>Sven Efftinge
+
|-
+
| '''RT:'''
+
| Jeff McAffer
+
| Tom Watson
+
|-
+
| '''STP:'''
+
| Antoine Toulme
+
| Oisin Hurley
+
|-
+
| '''Technology:'''
+
| Gunnar Wagenknecht
+
| Wayne Beaton
+
|-
+
| '''Tools:'''
+
| Doug Schaefer
+
|
+
|-
+
| '''TPTP:'''
+
| Jonathan West
+
|
+
|-
+
| '''WTP:'''
+
| Tim deBoer
+
| Dave Carver<br/>Neil Hauge
+
|}
+
  
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Andrew Overholt (sabbatical)
+
* Lots of people had issues dialing in (at least on the US number)
 +
** '''Wayne''' asking for hints to find better service provider (or Strategic Member to donate some conf calling service)
  
<!--
 
* '''Signed-up:''' John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Boris Bokowski, Linda Chan, Doug Clarke, Neil Hauge, Kenn Hussey, Jeff McAffer, Kim Moir, Martin O, Pascal Rapicault, Brian Payton, Doug Schaefer, Jonathan West, David Williams 
 
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Andrew Overholt (sabbatical), Tom Watson (conflict), Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Schindl (Travelling)
 
* '''No-Show:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Eugene Chan, Tim deBoer, Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Ed Merks, Mike Milinkovich, Mary Ruddy, Michael Scharf, Darin Swanson, Antoine Toulme, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf, Gary Xue
 
-->
 
  
 
== Agenda / Notes ==
 
== Agenda / Notes ==
* '''Feel free to edit, but <font color="red">not during the call!</font>'''
 
  
=== Review of Last Meeting ===
+
=== Keybinding Conflits ===
* [[Architecture Council/Meetings/December 9 2010]]
+
* (''old'') '''Antoine / Dave C''' {{bug|316642}} Requirements Wiki for build systems
+
** Nick linked the [https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmGcQy-AtllqdDV3eUtCTEM0TU5UakVFbFAyWUhyZnc&hl=en#gid=0 Google Doc spreadsheet], Martin in touch with Henrik
+
* Still open items moved to [[#Action Items]]
+
  
=== New Topics ===
+
* Andrew: '''Keybinding conflicts in release train'''
 +
** Linuxtools plugin for generating gnu-style changelog (Ctrl+Alt+C, Ctrl+Alt+P) - now in conflict with Subversive / eGit
 +
** Something to check conflicts in the Release train (Martin: can this be done statically?) eg just lump in all of Indigo and look at the errorlog / or grep plugin.xml
 +
** Doug: Emacs vs Default Keybindings; bigger issue is that interoperability suffers as more and more plugins are installed
 +
** Martin: In the end, keybindings are the responsibility of product builders. Must be possible to modify keybindings in a particular lineup.
 +
** '''RESOLUTION''': '''AI Andrew''' install as much of Indigo as possible and look at the errorlog
 +
** I looked at this and ran into problems installing (see [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=336837 bug 336837].  I will pursue this.
  
* Pascal's {{bug|331385}} naming conventions for p2 Repos
+
=== Eclipse-SourceReferences ===
* {{bug|283745}} Maven @ Eclipse progress, workinggroup? (Along with {{bug|288644}} naming)
+
  
* '''News from the Board, EMO and Councils'''
+
* Wayne: '''Use of Eclipse-SourceReferences: in bundle manifests'''
 +
** Couple requests recently for "how do we find the source" (point customers to the exact repo what's been shipping)
 +
** Eclipse Platform and TM use it, but few other projects
 +
*** Information: PDE Build supports it for CVS; Athena CBI and Buckminster don't; don't know about b3 and Tycho
 +
*** Support for providers only than CVS has only been added to 3.7 recently
 +
** More interesting related to git
 +
** Doug expected being able to generate a patch against downloaded source bundles .. a variant of the original request
 +
** '''Council agrees that this is a great idea.'''
 +
*** '''AI Kim''' talk to Andrew Niefer find state of SCM's other than CVS
 +
*** Martin thinks it would be great for Subversive and egit to jump on this NOW
 +
*** '''AI Wayne''' talk to Jason re Tycho; b3
 +
** '''Martin''' activated this in '''Orbit''' as per {{bug|331827}}
  
=== e4 - current state of affairs ===
+
=== News from the EMO ===
  
 +
* '''News from the Board, EMO and Councils'''
 +
** DSDP move seems complete; STP termination review still pending (moved to SOA); TPTP decided to resign after SR2
 +
** Terminated a handful tech projects; creating new projects at a relatively slow pace
 +
** IP team lost Barb - decided to not do any more moves until end of the release train; register important CQ's ASAP!
 +
** IP Tools: working on a feature to submit to ipzilla directly... coming along incrementally, looking for volunteers
 +
** Hope the value of this is that it's easier than the automated online version (and not as buggy)
  
=== Old Topics ===
+
=== Eclipsecon ===
 
+
* {{bug|324125}} architecture diagrams - [http://www.eclipse.org/org/councils/roadmap_v2_0/AC_v2_0/index.php 2006 version] - relationship to e4 ?
+
* '''Build systems requirements''' - Antoine, Dave C
+
** Martin in touch with Nick and Henrik
+
* '''IP Logs''' - Martin and Wayne - [http://eclipse.org/woolsey/ project woolsey] exists and open for community, Wayne hopes get soemthing downloadable by Christmas
+
** Allow projects to file bugs which list collections of libraries that are used for testing (and mark these collectively as exemt prereqs)
+
*** Couldn't distribute those libs or put them in scm, but could have them on the build server
+
 
+
We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:
+
 
+
* DaveC would like to discuss New Committer Guidelines; Scrum / Agile techniques
+
* {{bug|285074}} - Dave Carver - Hudsonbuilder and write access to the cvs / svn repo
+
* {{bug|288393}} - Denis - Bugzilla Best Practices
+
 
+
* '''[[Architecture Council/Open Issues|AC Bugzilla]]''' backlog
+
* See also [[Architecture Council/Open Issues]] for overflow items that were not discussed
+
* News from the EMO and Councils ?
+
  
== Action Items ==
+
* '''Eclipsecon'''
* (''old'') '''Michael''' to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started [[Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns]], backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
+
** Martin proposes PC + STAC meeting on Sunday, plus AC Breakfast on Monday morning
** While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
+
* (''old'') '''Michael''' to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
+
* (''old'') '''Tools and Tech PMC's''' to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor; mentorless projects due to AC members quitting or falling dormant
+
* (''old'') '''Martin''' to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
+
* (''old'') '''Mik''' to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
+
* (''old'') '''Dave C''' work with Wayne on a "handbook" for project criteria for becoming a committer (referencing committer guidelines)
+
** Martin - recently updated the [[Eclipse/Workspace/Committer_FAQ#Becoming_a_Committer]] with pretty strict criteria (committed contributions)
+
* (''old'') '''Dave C''' come up with a document how to save build resources
+
* (''old'') '''Dave C''' to try bugzilla UNCONFIRMED state
+
* (''old'') '''Wayne''' to ask Sonatype about Nexus test installation
+
* (''old'') '''Wayne''' to try doing a 3.6m2 API Report on Helios m2
+
* (''old'') '''Martin''' to file bug for asking Mik hyperlink Wikitext / crowdsourcing Docs handbook on the [[Architecture Council/Top Ten Project Development Practices]] page
+
* (''old'') '''Tom S''' Athena Common Builder Cookbook
+
* (''old'') '''Tim''' write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
+
* '''Martin''' revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
+
* '''Martin''' {{bug|315210}} Make the AC mailing list open / moderated
+
* '''Antoine / Dave C''' {{bug|316642}} Requirements Wiki for build systems
+
  
 
== Next Meeting ==
 
== Next Meeting ==
* [[Architecture Council/Meetings/February 10 2010]]
+
* [[Architecture Council/Meetings/February 10 2011]]
  
 
[[Category:Architecture Council Meeting Minutes]]
 
[[Category:Architecture Council Meeting Minutes]]

Latest revision as of 04:49, 10 March 2011

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday January 13, 2011 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063

Attendees

  • Regrets: Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict)
  • Signed-up: Achim Loerke, Kim Moir, Doug Schaefer, Andrew Overholt, Kenn Hussey, Wayne Beaton, Linda Chan
  • Lots of people had issues dialing in (at least on the US number)
    • Wayne asking for hints to find better service provider (or Strategic Member to donate some conf calling service)


Agenda / Notes

Keybinding Conflits

  • Andrew: Keybinding conflicts in release train
    • Linuxtools plugin for generating gnu-style changelog (Ctrl+Alt+C, Ctrl+Alt+P) - now in conflict with Subversive / eGit
    • Something to check conflicts in the Release train (Martin: can this be done statically?) eg just lump in all of Indigo and look at the errorlog / or grep plugin.xml
    • Doug: Emacs vs Default Keybindings; bigger issue is that interoperability suffers as more and more plugins are installed
    • Martin: In the end, keybindings are the responsibility of product builders. Must be possible to modify keybindings in a particular lineup.
    • RESOLUTION: AI Andrew install as much of Indigo as possible and look at the errorlog
    • I looked at this and ran into problems installing (see bug 336837. I will pursue this.

Eclipse-SourceReferences

  • Wayne: Use of Eclipse-SourceReferences: in bundle manifests
    • Couple requests recently for "how do we find the source" (point customers to the exact repo what's been shipping)
    • Eclipse Platform and TM use it, but few other projects
      • Information: PDE Build supports it for CVS; Athena CBI and Buckminster don't; don't know about b3 and Tycho
      • Support for providers only than CVS has only been added to 3.7 recently
    • More interesting related to git
    • Doug expected being able to generate a patch against downloaded source bundles .. a variant of the original request
    • Council agrees that this is a great idea.
      • AI Kim talk to Andrew Niefer find state of SCM's other than CVS
      • Martin thinks it would be great for Subversive and egit to jump on this NOW
      • AI Wayne talk to Jason re Tycho; b3
    • Martin activated this in Orbit as per bug 331827

News from the EMO

  • News from the Board, EMO and Councils
    • DSDP move seems complete; STP termination review still pending (moved to SOA); TPTP decided to resign after SR2
    • Terminated a handful tech projects; creating new projects at a relatively slow pace
    • IP team lost Barb - decided to not do any more moves until end of the release train; register important CQ's ASAP!
    • IP Tools: working on a feature to submit to ipzilla directly... coming along incrementally, looking for volunteers
    • Hope the value of this is that it's easier than the automated online version (and not as buggy)

Eclipsecon

  • Eclipsecon
    • Martin proposes PC + STAC meeting on Sunday, plus AC Breakfast on Monday morning

Next Meeting