Architecture Council/Meetings/January 12 2017
< Architecture Council | Meetings
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday January 12, 2017 at 1100 Ottawa |
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:||See Eclipse Asterisk|
- In attendance: Carl Andersen (WTP), Mikael Barbero, Wayne Beaton, Marcel Bruch, Jonas Helming, Jim Hughes, Marc-Andre Laperle, Dani Megert, Martin O, Denis Roy, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Matthias Sohn, Eike Stepper
- Regrets: Jay Jay Billings, Christian Campo, Mickael Istria, Maximilian Kögel, Martin Lippert, Alexander Nyßen, Krum Tsvetkov, Lars Vogel
- No-Show: Max Andersen, Chris Aniszczyk, John Arthorne, Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Ian Bull, Benjamin Cabé, Linda Chan, Naci Dai, Sebastien Gerard, Neil Hauge, Kenn Hussey, Tyler Jewell, Markus Knauer, Konstantin Kommissarchik, Alex Kurtakov, Benoit Langlois, Ed Merks, Mike Milinkovich, Adrian Mos, Steffen Pingel, Pascal Rapicault, Tom Schindl, Julien Vermillard, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Watson, Mike Wilson
#PMC_Rep_Attendees see also below.
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
- Last meeting: Architecture Council/Meetings/December 8 2016 -- open actions see #Action_Items
- Carl Andersen introduction
- Been with IBM for a very long time, replacing Chuck Bridgham as WTP PMC Lead (and David Williams as Releng guy)
- Denis: Simrel Build taken on by Frederic Gurr
- Please support Frederic in this new role
- Will shift some discussion on build mechanics from cross-project to the cbi-dev mailing list
- Eclipse Platform build still done by Platform project (Sravan), Fred only does the aggregation
- Marcel: New AC Members
- AI Wayne nomination
- Marcel: Next Iteration of FEEP
- Mikael: received 6 bids in December, reviewing now, expect to present next week
- Looking at Budget available, this is a good number, would love to have more but may not be able to fund all of them
- Marcel/Mikael: Quality of the Eclipse Marketplace Plugins
- Marcel reaching out to providers with Error Reporting; discussions with Ian
- Mikael meeting Mike in Ottawa next week, will report on the outcome
- Ed Merks is working on a tool to identify Invalid Solution Listings, see bug 509929 with first results
Wayne: IP Due Diligence Changes
- Wayne: New IP Due Diligence Changes
- Wayne's writing some blogs now; would like to get pushed out by March - Type A or B due diligence
- Type A just checks for license compatibility; goal is having this done by projects themselves (with help of tools like FOSSology, IP team helping out until tools are ready).
- Laid some groundwork for integration with IPZilla, eg monitor and drop reports there
- Hoping to get to full automation by end of the year
- Looking for incremental improvements as more and more projects adopt it
- Type B: A plus provenance check
- Projects start with Type A in incubation - may switch to type B (or not) when graduating
- Projects can mix, eg multiple type A releases followed by a yearly type B release
- Picked a couple of projects already doing type A, rolling out en-large this quarter
- Release process is a separate, related topic.
Doug: Eclipse Two
- Doug: Eclipse Two
- See https://cdtdoug.ca/2016/12/31/looking-forward-to-2017/ experimenting with Electron
- Busy with project stuff until March, exposing to the Community now and see where it goes
- Looking at an IDE on Electron to go beyond VS Code which is just an editor
- Trying to get hold of some trends in the industry before others do it (especially in the Eclipse and Embedded communities)
- Lightweight, not coupled to IResource; advanced visualizations and tools like TraceCompass, Android, Modeling...
- Qt has its own IDE, Adacore has its own, Andmore is dead ... time to try something new, but will only work if Community forms around it
- Relationship to the ide-dev and ui guideline stuff ?
- Those are still classic Eclipse - same people, not really growing, thus tried something new ... all depends on where Community takes it
- MichaelS: As Eclipse insiders, we tend to question too much ... many users are still just happy getting work done with Eclipse.
- "Heavy" plugins inside Eclipse duplicate much. Using the VS Code architecture, the IDE becomes more replaceable for mix-and-match of components from various sources...
- Doug: Working on integrating live language server in CDT, likely based on libclang
- Michael: Could there be a universal data model for languages including type hierarchy ?
- Doug: LSP is an extensible protocol. It's going to grow into this.
- CONCLUSION: Would work towards a virtual meet-up, but Doug has no time until March; until then, everything is on Github, feel free to join in
PMC Rep Attendees
All AC Members are invited.
- PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
|Eclipse:||Dani Megert|| |
|Tools:||Doug Schaefer|| |
|WTP:||Carl Andersen|| |