Skip to main content
Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/January 12 2017"

Line 23: Line 23:
 
== Attendees ==
 
== Attendees ==
  
* '''In attendance:'''  
+
* '''In attendance:''' Carl Andersen (WTP), Mikael Barbero, Wayne Beaton, Marcel Bruch, Jonas Helming, Jim Hughes, Marc-Andre Laperle, Dani Megert, Martin O, Denis Roy, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Matthias Sohn, Eike Stepper,
  
 
<!--
 
<!--
Line 39: Line 39:
 
* Feel free to edit, but '''<font color="red">not during the call!</font>'''
 
* Feel free to edit, but '''<font color="red">not during the call!</font>'''
 
* Last meeting: [[Architecture Council/Meetings/December 8 2016]] -- open actions see [[#Action_Items]]
 
* Last meeting: [[Architecture Council/Meetings/December 8 2016]] -- open actions see [[#Action_Items]]
 +
 +
=== General Topics ===
 +
 +
* '''Carl Andersen''' introduction
 +
** Been with IBM for a very long time, replacing David Williams
 +
 +
* Denis: '''Simrel Build''' taken on by Frederic Gurr
 +
** Please support Frederic in this new role
 +
** Will shift some discussion on build mechanics from cross-project to the cbi-dev mailing list
 +
** Eclipse Platform build still done by Platform project (Sravan), Fred only does the aggregation
 +
 +
* Marcel: '''New AC Members'''
 +
** '''AI Wayne''' nomination
 +
 +
* Marcel: '''Next Iteration of FEEP'''
 +
** Mikael: received 6 bids in December, reviewing now, expect to present next week
 +
** Looking at Budget available, this is a good number, would love to have more but may not be able to fund all of them
 +
 +
* Marcel/Mikael: '''Quality of the Eclipse Marketplace Plugins'''
 +
** Marcel reaching out to providers with Error Reporting; discussions with Ian
 +
** Mikael meeting Mike in Ottawa next week, will report on the outcome
 +
 +
=== Wayne: IP Due Diligence Changes ===
 +
* Wayne: '''New IP Due Diligence Changes'''
 +
** Wayne's writing some blogs now; would like to get pushed out by March - Type A or B due diligence
 +
** Type A just checks for license compatibility; goal is having this done by projects themselves (with help of tools like FOSSology, IP team helping out until tools are ready).
 +
*** Laid some groundwork for integration with IPZilla, eg monitor and drop reports there
 +
*** Hoping to get to full automation by end of the year
 +
*** Looking for incremental improvements as more and more projects adopt it
 +
** Type B: A plus provenance check
 +
*** Projects start with Type A in incubation - may switch to type B (or not) when graduating
 +
*** Projects can mix, eg multiple type A releases followed by a yearly type B release
 +
*** Picked a couple of projects already doing type A, rolling out en-large this quarter
 +
** Release process is a separate, related topic.
 +
 +
=== Doug: Eclipse Two ===
 +
* Doug: '''Eclipse Two'''
 +
** See https://cdtdoug.ca/2016/12/31/looking-forward-to-2017/ experimenting with Electron
 +
** Busy with project stuff until March, exposing to the Community now and see where it goes
 +
** Looking at an IDE on Electron to go beyond VS Code which is just an editor
 +
** Trying to get hold of some trends in the industry before others do it (especially in the Eclipse and Embedded communities)
 +
*** Lightweight, not coupled to IResource; advanced visualizations and tools like TraceCompass, Android, Modeling...
 +
*** Qt has its own IDE, Adacore has its own, Andmore is dead ... time to try something new, but will only work if Community forms around it
 +
** Relationship to the ide-dev and ui guideline stuff ?
 +
*** Those are still classic Eclipse - same people, not really growing, thus tried something new ... all depends on where Community takes it
 +
*** MichaelS: As Eclipse insiders, we tend to question too much ... many users are still just happy getting work done with Eclipse.
 +
*** "Heavy" plugins inside Eclipse duplicate much. Using the VS Code architecture, the IDE becomes more replaceable for mix-and-match of components from various sources...
 +
*** Doug: Working on integrating live language server in CDT, likely based on libclang
 +
*** Michael: Could there be a universal data model for languages including type hierarchy ?
 +
*** Doug: LSP is an extensible protocol. It's going to grow into this.
 +
*** '''CONCLUSION''': Would work towards a virtual meet-up, but Doug has no time until March; until then, everything is on Github, feel free to join in
 +
  
 
<!--
 
<!--
* Marcel/Mikael: Quality of the Eclipse Marketplace Plugins
 
 
* Mickael I.: CI slaves being a bottleneck for Platform https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=508507 , SLES vs CentOS https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=506995
 
* Mickael I.: CI slaves being a bottleneck for Platform https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=508507 , SLES vs CentOS https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=506995
 
* Mickael I.: Question: Do we have metrics/indicators about the effect of requiring mailing to post on Bugzilla? Specifically in the trend of 1st time reporters?
 
* Mickael I.: Question: Do we have metrics/indicators about the effect of requiring mailing to post on Bugzilla? Specifically in the trend of 1st time reporters?
 
=== General Topics ===
 
  
 
* '''New AC Member candidates''' - see [[Architecture Council/Members and Mentors]], and the [http://www.eclipse.org/org/foundation/council.php#architecture Councils Page]
 
* '''New AC Member candidates''' - see [[Architecture Council/Members and Mentors]], and the [http://www.eclipse.org/org/foundation/council.php#architecture Councils Page]
Line 72: Line 121:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''BIRT:'''  
 
| '''BIRT:'''  
|  Gary Xue
+
<strike>Gary Xue</strike>
 
|   
 
|   
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''DTP:'''  
 
| '''DTP:'''  
| Brian Payton
+
| <strike>Brian Payton</strike>
| Linda Chan
+
| <strike>Linda Chan</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Eclipse:'''  
 
| '''Eclipse:'''  
 
| Dani Megert
 
| Dani Megert
| Mike Wilson
+
| <strike>Mike Wilson</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Modeling:'''  
 
| '''Modeling:'''  
| Ed Merks
+
| <strike>Ed Merks</strike>
| Cédric Brun<br>Eike Stepper
+
| Eike Stepper
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Mylyn:'''  
 
| '''Mylyn:'''  
| Steffen Pingel
+
| <strike>Steffen Pingel</strike>
| Mik Kersten
+
| <strike>Mik Kersten</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''RT:'''  
 
| '''RT:'''  
| Christian Campo
+
| <strike>Christian Campo</strike>
| Tom Watson<br>Doug Clarke<br>Ian Bull
+
| <strike>Tom Watson</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''SOA:'''  
 
| '''SOA:'''  
| Adrian Mos
+
| <strike>Adrian Mos</strike>
| Marc Dutoo
+
| <strike>Marc Dutoo</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Technology:'''  
 
| '''Technology:'''  
| Gunnar Wagenknecht
+
| <strike>Gunnar Wagenknecht</strike>
 
| Wayne Beaton
 
| Wayne Beaton
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Tools:'''  
 
| '''Tools:'''  
 
| Doug Schaefer
 
| Doug Schaefer
| Alex Kurtakov
+
| <strike>Alex Kurtakov</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''WTP:'''  
 
| '''WTP:'''  
| Chuck Bridgham
+
| Carl Andersen
| Neil Hauge
+
| <strike>Neil Hauge</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''LocationTech:'''
 
| '''LocationTech:'''
Line 116: Line 165:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''IoT:'''
 
| '''IoT:'''
| Julien Vermillard
+
| <strike>Julien Vermillard</strike>
 
|
 
|
 
|}
 
|}

Revision as of 11:47, 12 January 2017

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday January 12, 2017 at 1100 Ottawa
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: Let's use the Foundation's Asterisk setup for this call:
  • North America (toll free) 1-866-569-4992
  • Germany (local call anywhere in Germany) 49-692-2224-6059
  • France (local call anywhere in France) 33-17-070-8535
  • Switzerland (local call anywhere in Switzerland) +41-44-580-2115
  • Spain, Sweden, others - see Asterisk/Numbers

Participant conference extension: 701 then enter pin: 51968

  • SIP clients can call 701@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 51968.

Attendees

  • In attendance: Carl Andersen (WTP), Mikael Barbero, Wayne Beaton, Marcel Bruch, Jonas Helming, Jim Hughes, Marc-Andre Laperle, Dani Megert, Martin O, Denis Roy, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Matthias Sohn, Eike Stepper,


#PMC_Rep_Attendees see also below.

Agenda / Notes

General Topics

  • Carl Andersen introduction
    • Been with IBM for a very long time, replacing David Williams
  • Denis: Simrel Build taken on by Frederic Gurr
    • Please support Frederic in this new role
    • Will shift some discussion on build mechanics from cross-project to the cbi-dev mailing list
    • Eclipse Platform build still done by Platform project (Sravan), Fred only does the aggregation
  • Marcel: New AC Members
    • AI Wayne nomination
  • Marcel: Next Iteration of FEEP
    • Mikael: received 6 bids in December, reviewing now, expect to present next week
    • Looking at Budget available, this is a good number, would love to have more but may not be able to fund all of them
  • Marcel/Mikael: Quality of the Eclipse Marketplace Plugins
    • Marcel reaching out to providers with Error Reporting; discussions with Ian
    • Mikael meeting Mike in Ottawa next week, will report on the outcome

Wayne: IP Due Diligence Changes

  • Wayne: New IP Due Diligence Changes
    • Wayne's writing some blogs now; would like to get pushed out by March - Type A or B due diligence
    • Type A just checks for license compatibility; goal is having this done by projects themselves (with help of tools like FOSSology, IP team helping out until tools are ready).
      • Laid some groundwork for integration with IPZilla, eg monitor and drop reports there
      • Hoping to get to full automation by end of the year
      • Looking for incremental improvements as more and more projects adopt it
    • Type B: A plus provenance check
      • Projects start with Type A in incubation - may switch to type B (or not) when graduating
      • Projects can mix, eg multiple type A releases followed by a yearly type B release
      • Picked a couple of projects already doing type A, rolling out en-large this quarter
    • Release process is a separate, related topic.

Doug: Eclipse Two

  • Doug: Eclipse Two
    • See https://cdtdoug.ca/2016/12/31/looking-forward-to-2017/ experimenting with Electron
    • Busy with project stuff until March, exposing to the Community now and see where it goes
    • Looking at an IDE on Electron to go beyond VS Code which is just an editor
    • Trying to get hold of some trends in the industry before others do it (especially in the Eclipse and Embedded communities)
      • Lightweight, not coupled to IResource; advanced visualizations and tools like TraceCompass, Android, Modeling...
      • Qt has its own IDE, Adacore has its own, Andmore is dead ... time to try something new, but will only work if Community forms around it
    • Relationship to the ide-dev and ui guideline stuff ?
      • Those are still classic Eclipse - same people, not really growing, thus tried something new ... all depends on where Community takes it
      • MichaelS: As Eclipse insiders, we tend to question too much ... many users are still just happy getting work done with Eclipse.
      • "Heavy" plugins inside Eclipse duplicate much. Using the VS Code architecture, the IDE becomes more replaceable for mix-and-match of components from various sources...
      • Doug: Working on integrating live language server in CDT, likely based on libclang
      • Michael: Could there be a universal data model for languages including type hierarchy ?
      • Doug: LSP is an extensible protocol. It's going to grow into this.
      • CONCLUSION: Would work towards a virtual meet-up, but Doug has no time until March; until then, everything is on Github, feel free to join in


PMC Rep Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Gary Xue
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Dani Megert Mike Wilson
Modeling: Ed Merks Eike Stepper
Mylyn: Steffen Pingel Mik Kersten
RT: Christian Campo Tom Watson
SOA: Adrian Mos Marc Dutoo
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer Alex Kurtakov
WTP: Carl Andersen Neil Hauge
LocationTech: Jim Hughes
IoT: Julien Vermillard

Next Meeting

Back to the top