Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/January 12 2012"

Line 16: Line 16:
 
{|border=1 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=1
 
{|border=1 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=1
 
| '''BIRT:'''
 
| '''BIRT:'''
| Wenfeng Li
+
| <strike>Wenfeng Li</strike>
| Wenbin He
+
| <strike>Wenbin He</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''DTP:'''
 
| '''DTP:'''
 
| Brian Payton
 
| Brian Payton
| Linda Chan
+
| <strike>Linda Chan</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Eclipse:'''
 
| '''Eclipse:'''
 
| Mike Wilson
 
| Mike Wilson
| John Arthorne<br/>Boris Bokowski
+
| John Arthorne<br/><strike>Boris Bokowski</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Modeling:'''
 
| '''Modeling:'''
 
| Ed Merks
 
| Ed Merks
| Cédric Brun<br/>Sven Efftinge
+
| <strike>Cédric Brun</strike><br/><strike>Sven Efftinge</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Mylyn:'''
 
| '''Mylyn:'''
 
| Steffen Pingel
 
| Steffen Pingel
| Mik Kersten
+
| <strike>Mik Kersten</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''RT:'''
 
| '''RT:'''
| Jeff McAffer
+
| <strike>Jeff McAffer</strike>
 
| Tom Watson
 
| Tom Watson
 
|-
 
|-
Line 60: Line 60:
 
|}
 
|}
  
 +
* '''Signed-up:''' Chris Aniszczyk, John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Chuck Bridgham, Christian Campo, Dave Carver, Sebastien Gandon, Neil Hauge, Markus Knauer, Achim Lörke, Ed Merks, Kim Moir, Adrian Mos, Martin O, Andrew Overholt, Brian Payton, Steffen Pingel, Pascal Rapicault, Doug Schaefer, Tom Schindl, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Watson, David Williams, Mike Wilson
 
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict)
 
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict)
 +
* '''No-Show:''' Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Linda Chan, Doug Clarke, Oisin Hurley, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Bernd Kolb, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Mary Ruddy, Michael Scharf, Darin Swanson, Oliver Wolf, Gary Xue
  
* '''Guest:''' Andrew Ross to report on Long-Term Support (LTS) initiative
+
* '''Guests:'''
 +
** Andrew Ross to report on Long-Term Support (LTS) initiative
 +
** Eric Moffat, Paul Webster to provide e4 input
  
Andrew Ross, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Ed Merks, John Arthorne, Dave Carver, Christian Campo, Martin O, Markus Knauer, Kim Moir, Chris Aniszcyk, Tom Watson, David Williams, Neil Hauge, Andrew Overholt, Doug Schaefer, Adrian Mos, Chuck Bridgham, Achim, Wayne Beaton, Mike Wilson, Paul Webster, Eric Moffat, Sebastien Gandon, Tom Schindl, Brian Payton, Steffen Pingl,
 
 
<!--
 
* '''Signed-up:''' John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Christian Campo, Linda Chan, Sebastien Gandon, Neil Hauge, Kenn Hussey, Kim Moir, Martin O, Andrew Overholt, Brian Payton, Steffen Pingel, Mary Ruddy, Doug Schaefer, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Andrew Overholt, Tom Watson
 
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Adrian Mos (conflict), Achim Lörke (conflict), Tom Schindl (travelling)
 
* '''No-Show:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Chuck Bridgham, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Doug Clarke, Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Jeff McAffer, Ed Merks, Mike Milinkovich, Pascal Rapicault, Michael Scharf, Darin Swanson, David Williams, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf, Gary Xue
 
-->
 
  
 
== Agenda / Notes ==
 
== Agenda / Notes ==
Line 82: Line 79:
 
=== Long-Term Support (LTS) ===
 
=== Long-Term Support (LTS) ===
 
* '''Andrew Ross''' to explain goals, concept and current status
 
* '''Andrew Ross''' to explain goals, concept and current status
**  
+
** Common Build Infrastructure (CBI): An evolution of PDE, Athena etc into a Continuous Integration (CI) facility operated by Eclipse Foundation
 +
*** Make it easy to build, easier to contribute AND enable LTS: Prototype ready NOW
 +
*** Get Eclipse Platform to build at Eclipse.org with Maven (worked on by Igor Fedorenko of Sonatype) - [[CBI]] Wiki, mailto:cbi-dev@eclipse.org
 +
** Why LTS: No single company can support all of Eclipse, but want to build a marketplace for support
 +
*** Many products on top of Eclipse have a much longer lifecycle than SR2 ... what to do after SR2 ?
 +
*** Duration and Cadence: every 2nd year to be LTS (Juno first), every 6th year to be VLTS (aerospace eg Airbus have 75 year projects)
 +
*** Every LTS costs money ... if there is very high interest there may be budget for more VLTS
 +
** Source Patches to go into LTS git repo
 +
** Single Stream Goal: Fragmentation due to cherry-picking dimishes value of LTS ... Integration adds value and reduces cost
 +
** Governance Model: Committee to decide what can go in ... eg bugfixes only, no API changes ...
 +
** LTS committers appointed by membership organisation ... doesn't give them project commit rights (these still have to be earned)
 +
*** But Project committers also get access to the LTS forge (as well as the Community Forge)
  
 
=== New Topics ===
 
=== New Topics ===

Revision as of 11:33, 12 January 2012

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday January 12, 2012 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063

Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Wenbin He
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Boris Bokowski
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Sven Efftinge
Mylyn: Steffen Pingel Mik Kersten
RT: Jeff McAffer Tom Watson
SOA: Adrian Mos Sebastien Gandon
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
TPTP: (TBA)
WTP: Chuck Bridgham Dave Carver
Neil Hauge
  • Signed-up: Chris Aniszczyk, John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Chuck Bridgham, Christian Campo, Dave Carver, Sebastien Gandon, Neil Hauge, Markus Knauer, Achim Lörke, Ed Merks, Kim Moir, Adrian Mos, Martin O, Andrew Overholt, Brian Payton, Steffen Pingel, Pascal Rapicault, Doug Schaefer, Tom Schindl, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Watson, David Williams, Mike Wilson
  • Regrets: Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict)
  • No-Show: Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Linda Chan, Doug Clarke, Oisin Hurley, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Bernd Kolb, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Mary Ruddy, Michael Scharf, Darin Swanson, Oliver Wolf, Gary Xue
  • Guests:
    • Andrew Ross to report on Long-Term Support (LTS) initiative
    • Eric Moffat, Paul Webster to provide e4 input


Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

Long-Term Support (LTS)

  • Andrew Ross to explain goals, concept and current status
    • Common Build Infrastructure (CBI): An evolution of PDE, Athena etc into a Continuous Integration (CI) facility operated by Eclipse Foundation
      • Make it easy to build, easier to contribute AND enable LTS: Prototype ready NOW
      • Get Eclipse Platform to build at Eclipse.org with Maven (worked on by Igor Fedorenko of Sonatype) - CBI Wiki, mailto:cbi-dev@eclipse.org
    • Why LTS: No single company can support all of Eclipse, but want to build a marketplace for support
      • Many products on top of Eclipse have a much longer lifecycle than SR2 ... what to do after SR2 ?
      • Duration and Cadence: every 2nd year to be LTS (Juno first), every 6th year to be VLTS (aerospace eg Airbus have 75 year projects)
      • Every LTS costs money ... if there is very high interest there may be budget for more VLTS
    • Source Patches to go into LTS git repo
    • Single Stream Goal: Fragmentation due to cherry-picking dimishes value of LTS ... Integration adds value and reduces cost
    • Governance Model: Committee to decide what can go in ... eg bugfixes only, no API changes ...
    • LTS committers appointed by membership organisation ... doesn't give them project commit rights (these still have to be earned)
      • But Project committers also get access to the LTS forge (as well as the Community Forge)

New Topics

Kim: Last year the Architecture of Open Source Applications book was released. This year the editors are working on volume II with a new set of authors and open source projects. They are looking for technical reviewers for these chapters, if you're interested let me know and I can put you in touch with the editors.

General Topics

  • Updates from the Board
  • git @ Eclipse progress
  • Maven @ Eclipse progress
  • AC Backlog

Old Topics

  • bug 324125 architecture diagrams - 2006 version - relationship to e4 ?
  • IP Logs - Martin and Wayne - project woolsey exists and open for community, Wayne hopes get soemthing downloadable by Christmas
    • Allow projects to file bugs which list collections of libraries that are used for testing (and mark these collectively as exemt prereqs)
      • Couldn't distribute those libs or put them in scm, but could have them on the build server

We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:

  • DaveC would like to discuss New Committer Guidelines; Scrum / Agile techniques
  • bug 288393 - Denis - Bugzilla Best Practices

Action Items

  • Cleaned up old action items, see Architecture Council/Meetings/February 10 2011 for old stuff
  • (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated

Next Meeting