Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/January 10 2013"

From Eclipsepedia

Jump to: navigation, search
m (New Topics)
 
(3 intermediate revisions by one user not shown)
Line 31: Line 31:
 
| '''BIRT:'''  
 
| '''BIRT:'''  
 
| <strike>Wenfeng Li</strike>
 
| <strike>Wenfeng Li</strike>
| Wenbin He
+
| <strike>Wenbin He</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''DTP:'''  
 
| '''DTP:'''  
 
| Brian Payton
 
| Brian Payton
| Linda Chan
+
| <strike>Linda Chan</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Eclipse:'''  
 
| '''Eclipse:'''  
| Mike Wilson
+
| <strike>Mike Wilson</strike>
| John Arthorne<br>Boris Bokowski
+
| <strike>John Arthorne</strike><br><strike>Boris Bokowski</strike><br>Martin Oberhuber
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Modeling:'''  
 
| '''Modeling:'''  
| Ed Merks
+
| <strike>Ed Merks</strike>
| Cédric Brun<br>Sven Efftinge
+
| <strike>Cédric Brun</strike><br><strike>Sven Efftinge</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Mylyn:'''  
 
| '''Mylyn:'''  
 
| Steffen Pingel
 
| Steffen Pingel
| Mik Kersten
+
| <strike>Mik Kersten</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''RT:'''  
 
| '''RT:'''  
| Christian Campo  
+
| <strike>Christian Campo</strike>
 
| Tom Watson
 
| Tom Watson
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''SOA:'''  
 
| '''SOA:'''  
| Adrian Mos
+
| <strike>Adrian Mos</strike>
| Sebastien Gandon
+
| <strike>Sebastien Gandon</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Technology:'''  
 
| '''Technology:'''  
| Gunnar Wagenknecht
+
| <strike>Gunnar Wagenknecht</strike>
 
| Wayne Beaton
 
| Wayne Beaton
 
|-
 
|-
Line 66: Line 66:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''WTP:'''  
 
| '''WTP:'''  
| Chuck Bridgham
+
| <strike>Chuck Bridgham</strike>
| Dave Carver<br>Neil Hauge
+
| <strike>Dave Carver</strike><br>Neil Hauge
 
|}
 
|}
  
Line 73: Line 73:
 
* '''Regrets:''' John Arthorne, Christian Campo, Dave Carver, Sebastien Gandon, Adrian Mos, Andrew Overholt, Gunnar Wagenknecht
 
* '''Regrets:''' John Arthorne, Christian Campo, Dave Carver, Sebastien Gandon, Adrian Mos, Andrew Overholt, Gunnar Wagenknecht
 
* '''No-Show:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Chuck Bridgham, Cédric Brun, Benjamin Cabé, Linda Chan, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Achim Loerke, Ed Merks, Mary Ruddy, Mike Milinkovich, Kim Moir, Tom Schindl, David Williams, Mike Wilson
 
* '''No-Show:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Chuck Bridgham, Cédric Brun, Benjamin Cabé, Linda Chan, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Achim Loerke, Ed Merks, Mary Ruddy, Mike Milinkovich, Kim Moir, Tom Schindl, David Williams, Mike Wilson
 
 
<!--
 
* '''Signed-Up:''' Wayne Beaton, Ian Bull, Doug Clarke, Neil Hauge, Markus Knauer, Martin O, Brian Payton, Steffen Pingel, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Eike Stepper, Krum Tsvetkov, Tom Watson
 
* '''Regrets:''' John Arthorne, Christian Campo, Dave Carver, Sebastien Gandon, Adrian Mos, Andrew Overholt, Gunnar Wagenknecht
 
* '''No-Show:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Chuck Bridgham, Cédric Brun, Benjamin Cabé, Linda Chan, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Achim Loerke, Ed Merks, Mary Ruddy, Mike Milinkovich, Kim Moir, Tom Schindl, David Williams, Mike Wilson
 
-->
 
  
 
== Agenda / Notes  ==
 
== Agenda / Notes  ==
 
* '''Feel free to edit, but <font color="red">not during the call!</font>'''
 
  
 
=== Review of Last Meeting  ===
 
=== Review of Last Meeting  ===
Line 109: Line 100:
 
** Statistics from project Dash not 100% accurate (eg when moving to a different company, the new company gets all the credit)
 
** Statistics from project Dash not 100% accurate (eg when moving to a different company, the new company gets all the credit)
  
 +
* Ian Bull: {{bug|397237}} '''CVS read-only access'''
 +
** Committers cannot connect anonymously to read-only CVS, some people are affected in their builds
 +
** Martin: Using an old workspace with CVS projects (maybe just for browsing), re-importing from git is quite some effort .. this affects consumers
 +
** Wayne: Not much compassion ... projects knew long enough ... something has to go away eventually, when do we turn the switch ? In 6 months or when ?
 +
** Why not simply keep running read-only, why shutting down ? - continue discussion on the bug. Would need a really compelling argument to keep an obsolete service running.
 +
*** Michael S: Servers and services are also changing... the world is changing. Can't keep everything alive forever.
 +
** If we do see references to CVS that are bogus, please fix them !
 +
 +
* Eike Stepper: '''Any plans to change the client side of the git story ?'''
 +
** Martin: Was discussed on the [[Eclipse/PMC/Minutes_2012]] on Dec 19
 +
** Want to replace the classic "Eclipse SDK" which comes from the Platform team by an EPP Package
 +
** Markus: {{bug|397896}} is open for making this happen in EPP.
 +
 +
* Martin: '''EclipseCon 2013 AC Meeting'''
 +
** A room is reserved for combined PC/AC meeting on Sunday (PC 2-4, combined PC+AC 4-5)
 +
** Martin cannot attend this year, so will need somebody to head the meeting
  
 
=== General Topics ===
 
=== General Topics ===
Line 117: Line 124:
  
 
* '''Updates from the Board or the EMO'''
 
* '''Updates from the Board or the EMO'''
** Most already discussed; Forges eg for LocationTech due to license allowances
+
** Most already discussed; Forges eg for LocationTech due to license allowances; these are operated by Eclipse.org
 +
*** http://locationtech.org
 +
*** http://polarsys.org
  
 
== Action Items  ==
 
== Action Items  ==

Latest revision as of 13:35, 10 January 2013

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday January 10, 2013 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: Let's use the Foundation's Asterisk setup for this call:
  • Ottawa (local call in Ottawa) 1-613-454-1403
  • North America (toll free) 1-877-369-7806
  • Germany (local call anywhere in Germany) 49-692-2224-6059
  • France (local call anywhere in France) 33-17-070-8535
  • UK (toll free) 0800-033-7806

Participant conference extension: 701 then enter pin: 51968

  • SIP clients can call 701@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 51968.

Contents

[edit] Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Wenbin He
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Boris Bokowski
Martin Oberhuber
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Sven Efftinge
Mylyn: Steffen Pingel Mik Kersten
RT: Christian Campo Tom Watson
SOA: Adrian Mos Sebastien Gandon
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
WTP: Chuck Bridgham Dave Carver
Neil Hauge
  • Signed-Up: Wayne Beaton, Ian Bull, Doug Clarke, Neil Hauge, Markus Knauer, Martin O, Brian Payton, Steffen Pingel, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Eike Stepper, Krum Tsvetkov, Tom Watson
  • Regrets: John Arthorne, Christian Campo, Dave Carver, Sebastien Gandon, Adrian Mos, Andrew Overholt, Gunnar Wagenknecht
  • No-Show: Chris Aniszczyk, Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Chuck Bridgham, Cédric Brun, Benjamin Cabé, Linda Chan, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Achim Loerke, Ed Merks, Mary Ruddy, Mike Milinkovich, Kim Moir, Tom Schindl, David Williams, Mike Wilson

[edit] Agenda / Notes

[edit] Review of Last Meeting

[edit] New Topics

  • Krum bug 397644 How to contribute documentation
    • Follow-up offline on the bug, fine-tuning the guide and finding a place for it - BIG THANKS to Krum for getting things started
  • John / Wayne : Process Diet
    • Postpone to next month, follow up on the mailing list with initial thoughts, to prepare
  • Wayne : Eclipse Data Centre Move
    • Physically moving Servers on Feb 9, expect to be back up on Feb 10; IP addresses will change
  • Wayne : PMI (Project-Management-Interface)
    • Create a snapshot of the current Portal and put it into the Drupal-based PMI by end of the month
    • Pre-populate data with current meta-info from the Portal
    • System already used today on the LocationTech Forge
    • Please try http://projects.eclipse.org and provide feedback (Create Community/Project Bugzilla or the AC mailing list)
    • Some Portal functionality is not quite ready yet, eg Simrel tracking
    • Voting in place (can be used) but does not send E-Mails yet
    • Tagging / Search is in place
    • Linking up the "Contributing" box against project-specific "How to contribute" as written up by Krum would be a great idea
    • Statistics from project Dash not 100% accurate (eg when moving to a different company, the new company gets all the credit)
  • Ian Bull: bug 397237 CVS read-only access
    • Committers cannot connect anonymously to read-only CVS, some people are affected in their builds
    • Martin: Using an old workspace with CVS projects (maybe just for browsing), re-importing from git is quite some effort .. this affects consumers
    • Wayne: Not much compassion ... projects knew long enough ... something has to go away eventually, when do we turn the switch ? In 6 months or when ?
    • Why not simply keep running read-only, why shutting down ? - continue discussion on the bug. Would need a really compelling argument to keep an obsolete service running.
      • Michael S: Servers and services are also changing... the world is changing. Can't keep everything alive forever.
    • If we do see references to CVS that are bogus, please fix them !
  • Eike Stepper: Any plans to change the client side of the git story ?
    • Martin: Was discussed on the Eclipse/PMC/Minutes_2012 on Dec 19
    • Want to replace the classic "Eclipse SDK" which comes from the Platform team by an EPP Package
    • Markus: bug 397896 is open for making this happen in EPP.
  • Martin: EclipseCon 2013 AC Meeting
    • A room is reserved for combined PC/AC meeting on Sunday (PC 2-4, combined PC+AC 4-5)
    • Martin cannot attend this year, so will need somebody to head the meeting

[edit] General Topics

  • Eclipse Infrastructure - git, Gerrit, Maven, Hudson, Bugzilla, ...
    • Wayne wants a plan by end of this quarter, to move Orbit off CVS (maybe using Maven, ...)
    • To be discussed also at EclipseCon ... any ideas from AC members ? Please let us know on the AC mailing list

[edit] Action Items

  • Cleaned up old action items, see Architecture Council/Meetings/February 10 2011 for old stuff
  • (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • (old) Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • (old) Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated

[edit] Next Meeting