Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/February 10 2011"

From Eclipsepedia

Jump to: navigation, search
m (Review of Last Meeting)
(Attendees)
Line 60: Line 60:
 
<!--
 
<!--
 
* '''Signed-up:''' John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Boris Bokowski, Linda Chan, Doug Clarke, Neil Hauge, Kenn Hussey, Achim Loerke, Jeff McAffer, Kim Moir, Martin O, Pascal Rapicault, Brian Payton, Doug Schaefer, Jonathan West, David Williams, Andrew Overholt
 
* '''Signed-up:''' John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Boris Bokowski, Linda Chan, Doug Clarke, Neil Hauge, Kenn Hussey, Achim Loerke, Jeff McAffer, Kim Moir, Martin O, Pascal Rapicault, Brian Payton, Doug Schaefer, Jonathan West, David Williams, Andrew Overholt
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Tom Watson (conflict), Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Schindl (Travelling)
+
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Tom Watson (conflict), Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Schindl (Travelling), Mik Kersten (travelling)
 
* '''No-Show:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Eugene Chan, Tim deBoer, Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Ed Merks, Mike Milinkovich, Mary Ruddy, Michael Scharf, Darin Swanson, Antoine Toulme, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf, Gary Xue
 
* '''No-Show:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Eugene Chan, Tim deBoer, Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Ed Merks, Mike Milinkovich, Mary Ruddy, Michael Scharf, Darin Swanson, Antoine Toulme, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf, Gary Xue
 
-->
 
-->

Revision as of 02:18, 10 February 2011

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday February 10, 2011 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063

Contents

Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Gary Xue
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Boris Bokowski
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Sven Efftinge
RT: Jeff McAffer Tom Watson
STP: Antoine Toulme Oisin Hurley
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
TPTP: Jonathan West
WTP: Tim deBoer Dave Carver
Neil Hauge
  • Regrets: Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict)


Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

  1. PDE build must be able to fetch the code from the SCM so that it can build the bundles and generate source references in the manifests of these bundles. By default, PDE build fetches from CVS.  There are third party fetch factories for SVN and Git (See bug 289838 for the Git fetch factory which is available from this repo http://download.eclipse.org/egit/pde/updates-nightly. This git fetch factory is used to build Orion as Andrew describes here
  2. PDE must be able to parse the source references in the manifest and load the source into your workspace from the appropriate SCM.  This is the API work that Martin mentioned and is described in bug 326926

New Topics

  • Pascal's bug 331385 naming conventions for p2 Repos
  • bug 283745 Maven @ Eclipse progress, workinggroup? (Along with bug 288644 naming)
  • Versions of non-eclipse.org dependencies
  • News from the Board, EMO and Councils
  • Eclipsecon

e4 - current state of affairs

Old Topics

  • bug 324125 architecture diagrams - 2006 version - relationship to e4 ?
  • Build systems requirements - Antoine, Dave C
    • Martin in touch with Nick and Henrik
  • IP Logs - Martin and Wayne - project woolsey exists and open for community, Wayne hopes get soemthing downloadable by Christmas
    • Allow projects to file bugs which list collections of libraries that are used for testing (and mark these collectively as exemt prereqs)
      • Couldn't distribute those libs or put them in scm, but could have them on the build server

We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:

  • DaveC would like to discuss New Committer Guidelines; Scrum / Agile techniques
  • bug 285074 - Dave Carver - Hudsonbuilder and write access to the cvs / svn repo
  • bug 288393 - Denis - Bugzilla Best Practices

Action Items

  • (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
    • While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
  • (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
  • (old) Tools and Tech PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor; mentorless projects due to AC members quitting or falling dormant
  • (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
  • (old) Dave C work with Wayne on a "handbook" for project criteria for becoming a committer (referencing committer guidelines)
  • (old) Dave C come up with a document how to save build resources
  • (old) Dave C to try bugzilla UNCONFIRMED state
  • (old) Wayne to ask Sonatype about Nexus test installation
  • (old) Wayne to try doing a 3.6m2 API Report on Helios m2
  • (old) Martin to file bug for asking Mik hyperlink Wikitext / crowdsourcing Docs handbook on the Architecture Council/Top Ten Project Development Practices page
  • (old) Tom S Athena Common Builder Cookbook
  • (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated
  • Antoine / Dave C bug 316642 Requirements Wiki for build systems

Next Meeting