Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/December 9 2010"

From Eclipsepedia

Jump to: navigation, search
 
(6 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 17: Line 17:
 
| '''BIRT:'''
 
| '''BIRT:'''
 
| <strike>Wenfeng Li</strike>
 
| <strike>Wenfeng Li</strike>
| Gary Xue
+
| <strike>Gary Xue</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''DTP:'''
 
| '''DTP:'''
Line 24: Line 24:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Eclipse:'''
 
| '''Eclipse:'''
| Mike Wilson
+
| <strike>Mike Wilson</strike>
 
| John Arthorne<br/>Boris Bokowski
 
| John Arthorne<br/>Boris Bokowski
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Modeling:'''
 
| '''Modeling:'''
| Ed Merks
+
| <strike>Ed Merks</strike>
| Cédric Brun<br/>Sven Efftinge
+
| <strike>Cédric Brun</strike><br/><strike>Sven Efftinge</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''RT:'''
 
| '''RT:'''
 
| Jeff McAffer
 
| Jeff McAffer
| Tom Watson
+
| <strike>Tom Watson</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''STP:'''
 
| '''STP:'''
| Antoine Toulme
+
| <strike>Antoine Toulme</strike>
| Oisin Hurley
+
| <strike>Oisin Hurley</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Technology:'''
 
| '''Technology:'''
| Gunnar Wagenknecht
+
| <strike>Gunnar Wagenknecht</strike>
 
| Wayne Beaton
 
| Wayne Beaton
 
|-
 
|-
Line 52: Line 52:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''WTP:'''
 
| '''WTP:'''
| Tim deBoer
+
| <strike>Tim deBoer</strike>
| Dave Carver<br/>Neil Hauge
+
| <strike>Dave Carver</strike><br/>Neil Hauge
 
|}
 
|}
  
 +
* '''Signed-up:''' John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Boris Bokowski, Linda Chan, Doug Clarke, Neil Hauge, Kenn Hussey, Jeff McAffer, Kim Moir, Martin O, Pascal Rapicault, Brian Payton, Doug Schaefer, Jonathan West, David Williams 
 
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Andrew Overholt (sabbatical), Darin Wright (conflict), Tom Watson (conflict), Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Schindl (Travelling)
 
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Andrew Overholt (sabbatical), Darin Wright (conflict), Tom Watson (conflict), Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Schindl (Travelling)
 
+
* '''No-Show:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Eugene Chan, Tim deBoer, Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Ed Merks, Mike Milinkovich, Mary Ruddy, Michael Scharf, Darin Swanson, Antoine Toulme, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf, Gary Xue
* '''Signed-up:''' Martin O, Kim Moir, Jeff, David Williams, Pascal Rapicault, Doug Clarke, Neil Hauge, Johnathan Walsh,
+
 
+
<!--
+
* '''Signed-up:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Wayne Beaton, Linda Chan, Jeff McAffer, Ed Merks, Kim Moir, Martin O, Brian Payton, Jonathan West, Dave Williams, Gary Xue
+
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Andrew Overholt (sabbatical), Darin Wright (conflict)
+
* '''No-Show:''' John Arthorne, Nick Boldt, Boris Bokowski, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Eugene Chan, Doug Clarke, Tim deBoer, Neil Hauge, Oisin Hurley, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Mike Milinkovich, Mary Ruddy, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Darin Swanson, Antoine Toulme, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf
+
-->
+
  
 
== Agenda / Notes ==
 
== Agenda / Notes ==
Line 77: Line 71:
 
=== New Topics ===
 
=== New Topics ===
  
* {{bug|283745}} Maven @ Eclipse progress, workinggroup? (Along with {{bug|288644}} naming)
+
* Welcome '''Pascal Rapicault''' to the council as Strategic Member representative for Sonatype
* Pascal's {{bug|331385}} naming conventions for p2 Repos
+
  
 +
==== Naming conventions for p2 repos ====
 +
* Pascal's {{bug|331385}} '''naming conventions for p2 Repos'''
 +
** Need better ways for Eclipse stuff to be consumed - coalesce all repos into a single page
 +
** Might need more Fields (multiple Repo's per project)
 +
** Might need data pre-filled for new projects (release, milestone, I-builds, ...)
 +
** Wayne would like some discussion within a diverse group of people ("working group") - need a definitive suggestion of what the items should look like
 +
** '''AI Pascal''' write a concrete proposal to discuss on the bug
 +
 +
==== Maven at Eclipse ====
 +
* {{bug|283745}} '''Maven @ Eclipse''' progress, workinggroup? (Along with {{bug|288644}} naming)
 +
** Discussion stalled, couple interested parties, but no leadership
 +
** Wayne feels this is a great opportunity for the AC
 +
** Pascal feels like there's 2 things being asked: (a) convert Release train repo into a Maven repo;
 +
** Do a first simple approach and see whether people want more; for Maven Central, there's a lot of Requirements that cannot be filled automatically
 +
** Some concept disconnect - eg Maven explicit versions for reproducability, vs Eclipse/p2 version ranges
 +
*** --&gt; in Eclipse, a reproducable build is a function of products + repo-list
 +
*** Pascal proposes locking up ranges
 +
** David W: b3 aggregator can produce hybrid repo, but just on build.e.o and never promoted
 +
*** Some problems were detected, no owner, thus stalled
 +
*** Pascal would only promote pieces (to Central) - each component to check what could be used outside an OSGi container
 +
*** '''AI David''' to close the "mechanical bug" ({{bug|312656}})
 +
*** Community wants released stuff easily consumable; get that by manually importing pieces into their own private repos
 +
*** Could we enable the Community of people who import stuff to share their efforts?
 +
 +
==== News from the EMO ====
 
* '''News from the Board, EMO and Councils'''
 
* '''News from the Board, EMO and Councils'''
 +
** Had some project terminations - DSDP needs some actual mechanics (archival) done
 +
** STP in the process of terminating
 +
** Mylyn restructuring progressing very well tough at a very measured pace
 +
** TPTP intends to archive after Helios Winter SR .. some other project might absorb pieces
 +
** Trend .. still getting new projects in, healthy project landscape, no concern for now
  
 
=== e4 - current state of affairs ===
 
=== e4 - current state of affairs ===
  
=== Items for next meeting ===
+
==== Injection Discussions ====
 +
* John A - some interesting '''e4 discussions about Injection'''
 +
** how to handle multiple injection frameworks within the same application, e.g. Google Guice vs Eclipse 4.0
 +
** who owns the injection, how to avoid frameworks stepping on each other
 +
** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=331235 bug 331235]
 +
** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=330865 bug 330865]
 +
** [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=330866 bug 330866]
 +
 
 +
==== Eclipse 4.1 status ====
 +
* '''Eclipse 4.1 status'''
 +
** Eric Moffat requested {{bug|330957}} community testing and feedback - some results but underwhelming, only few projects on Eclipse 4.1 for now
 +
** Pascal: Community still unsure about how it fits in the global picture - still an EAR (Early Adopter Release)
 +
** Boris: Focusing on other Eclipse projects for now because projects need dependencies to work
 +
** Martin: might be some small things making perception, eg splashscreen, make downloads more easily findable
  
Regular briefing on the status of e4.
+
* New '''e4 Work area for generalizing JDT''' for non-Java VM languages
 +
** OT/J, AspectJ, Groovy/Eclipse, and bunch of JDT committers
  
 
=== Old Topics ===
 
=== Old Topics ===
  
 
* {{bug|324125}} architecture diagrams - [http://www.eclipse.org/org/councils/roadmap_v2_0/AC_v2_0/index.php 2006 version] - relationship to e4 ?
 
* {{bug|324125}} architecture diagrams - [http://www.eclipse.org/org/councils/roadmap_v2_0/AC_v2_0/index.php 2006 version] - relationship to e4 ?
* Build systems requirements - Antoine, Dave C
+
* '''Build systems requirements''' - Antoine, Dave C
* IP Logs - Martin and Wayne
+
** Martin in touch with Nick and Henrik
 +
* '''IP Logs''' - Martin and Wayne - [http://eclipse.org/woolsey/ project woolsey] exists and open for community, Wayne hopes get soemthing downloadable by Christmas
 +
** Allow projects to file bugs which list collections of libraries that are used for testing (and mark these collectively as exemt prereqs)
 +
*** Couldn't distribute those libs or put them in scm, but could have them on the build server
  
 
We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:
 
We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:

Latest revision as of 15:06, 9 December 2010

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday December 9, 2010 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063

Contents

[edit] Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Gary Xue
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Boris Bokowski
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Sven Efftinge
RT: Jeff McAffer Tom Watson
STP: Antoine Toulme Oisin Hurley
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
TPTP: Jonathan West
WTP: Tim deBoer Dave Carver
Neil Hauge
  • Signed-up: John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Boris Bokowski, Linda Chan, Doug Clarke, Neil Hauge, Kenn Hussey, Jeff McAffer, Kim Moir, Martin O, Pascal Rapicault, Brian Payton, Doug Schaefer, Jonathan West, David Williams
  • Regrets: Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Andrew Overholt (sabbatical), Darin Wright (conflict), Tom Watson (conflict), Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Schindl (Travelling)
  • No-Show: Chris Aniszczyk, Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Eugene Chan, Tim deBoer, Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Ed Merks, Mike Milinkovich, Mary Ruddy, Michael Scharf, Darin Swanson, Antoine Toulme, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf, Gary Xue

[edit] Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

[edit] Review of Last Meeting

[edit] New Topics

  • Welcome Pascal Rapicault to the council as Strategic Member representative for Sonatype

[edit] Naming conventions for p2 repos

  • Pascal's bug 331385 naming conventions for p2 Repos
    • Need better ways for Eclipse stuff to be consumed - coalesce all repos into a single page
    • Might need more Fields (multiple Repo's per project)
    • Might need data pre-filled for new projects (release, milestone, I-builds, ...)
    • Wayne would like some discussion within a diverse group of people ("working group") - need a definitive suggestion of what the items should look like
    • AI Pascal write a concrete proposal to discuss on the bug

[edit] Maven at Eclipse

  • bug 283745 Maven @ Eclipse progress, workinggroup? (Along with bug 288644 naming)
    • Discussion stalled, couple interested parties, but no leadership
    • Wayne feels this is a great opportunity for the AC
    • Pascal feels like there's 2 things being asked: (a) convert Release train repo into a Maven repo;
    • Do a first simple approach and see whether people want more; for Maven Central, there's a lot of Requirements that cannot be filled automatically
    • Some concept disconnect - eg Maven explicit versions for reproducability, vs Eclipse/p2 version ranges
      • --> in Eclipse, a reproducable build is a function of products + repo-list
      • Pascal proposes locking up ranges
    • David W: b3 aggregator can produce hybrid repo, but just on build.e.o and never promoted
      • Some problems were detected, no owner, thus stalled
      • Pascal would only promote pieces (to Central) - each component to check what could be used outside an OSGi container
      • AI David to close the "mechanical bug" (bug 312656)
      • Community wants released stuff easily consumable; get that by manually importing pieces into their own private repos
      • Could we enable the Community of people who import stuff to share their efforts?

[edit] News from the EMO

  • News from the Board, EMO and Councils
    • Had some project terminations - DSDP needs some actual mechanics (archival) done
    • STP in the process of terminating
    • Mylyn restructuring progressing very well tough at a very measured pace
    • TPTP intends to archive after Helios Winter SR .. some other project might absorb pieces
    • Trend .. still getting new projects in, healthy project landscape, no concern for now

[edit] e4 - current state of affairs

[edit] Injection Discussions

  • John A - some interesting e4 discussions about Injection
    • how to handle multiple injection frameworks within the same application, e.g. Google Guice vs Eclipse 4.0
    • who owns the injection, how to avoid frameworks stepping on each other
    • bug 331235
    • bug 330865
    • bug 330866

[edit] Eclipse 4.1 status

  • Eclipse 4.1 status
    • Eric Moffat requested bug 330957 community testing and feedback - some results but underwhelming, only few projects on Eclipse 4.1 for now
    • Pascal: Community still unsure about how it fits in the global picture - still an EAR (Early Adopter Release)
    • Boris: Focusing on other Eclipse projects for now because projects need dependencies to work
    • Martin: might be some small things making perception, eg splashscreen, make downloads more easily findable
  • New e4 Work area for generalizing JDT for non-Java VM languages
    • OT/J, AspectJ, Groovy/Eclipse, and bunch of JDT committers

[edit] Old Topics

  • bug 324125 architecture diagrams - 2006 version - relationship to e4 ?
  • Build systems requirements - Antoine, Dave C
    • Martin in touch with Nick and Henrik
  • IP Logs - Martin and Wayne - project woolsey exists and open for community, Wayne hopes get soemthing downloadable by Christmas
    • Allow projects to file bugs which list collections of libraries that are used for testing (and mark these collectively as exemt prereqs)
      • Couldn't distribute those libs or put them in scm, but could have them on the build server

We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:

  • DaveC would like to discuss New Committer Guidelines; Scrum / Agile techniques
  • bug 285074 - Dave Carver - Hudsonbuilder and write access to the cvs / svn repo
  • bug 288393 - Denis - Bugzilla Best Practices

[edit] Action Items

  • (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
    • While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
  • (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
  • (old) Tools and Tech PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor; mentorless projects due to AC members quitting or falling dormant
  • (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
  • (old) Dave C work with Wayne on a "handbook" for project criteria for becoming a committer (referencing committer guidelines)
  • (old) Dave C come up with a document how to save build resources
  • (old) Dave C to try bugzilla UNCONFIRMED state
  • (old) Wayne to ask Sonatype about Nexus test installation
  • (old) Wayne to try doing a 3.6m2 API Report on Helios m2
  • (old) Martin to file bug for asking Mik hyperlink Wikitext / crowdsourcing Docs handbook on the Architecture Council/Top Ten Project Development Practices page
  • (old) Tom S Athena Common Builder Cookbook
  • (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated
  • Antoine / Dave C bug 316642 Requirements Wiki for build systems

[edit] Next Meeting