Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/December 13 2012"

From Eclipsepedia

Jump to: navigation, search
 
(10 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 31: Line 31:
 
| '''BIRT:'''  
 
| '''BIRT:'''  
 
| <strike>Wenfeng Li</strike>
 
| <strike>Wenfeng Li</strike>
| Wenbin He
+
| <strike>Wenbin He</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''DTP:'''  
 
| '''DTP:'''  
| Brian Payton
+
| <strike>Brian Payton</strike>
| Linda Chan
+
| <strike>Linda Chan</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Eclipse:'''  
 
| '''Eclipse:'''  
| Mike Wilson
+
| <strike>Mike Wilson</strike>
| John Arthorne<br>Boris Bokowski
+
| John Arthorne<br><strike>Boris Bokowski</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Modeling:'''  
 
| '''Modeling:'''  
| Ed Merks
+
| <strike>Ed Merks</strike>
| Cédric Brun<br>Sven Efftinge
+
| <strike>Cédric Brun</strike><br><strike>Sven Efftinge</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Mylyn:'''  
 
| '''Mylyn:'''  
| Steffen Pingel
+
| <strike>Steffen Pingel</strike>
| Mik Kersten
+
| <strike>Mik Kersten</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''RT:'''  
 
| '''RT:'''  
 
| Christian Campo  
 
| Christian Campo  
| Tom Watson
+
| <strike>Tom Watson</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''SOA:'''  
 
| '''SOA:'''  
| Adrian Mos
+
| <strike>Adrian Mos</strike>
 
| Sebastien Gandon
 
| Sebastien Gandon
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Technology:'''  
 
| '''Technology:'''  
| Gunnar Wagenknecht
+
| <strike>Gunnar Wagenknecht</strike>
 
| Wayne Beaton
 
| Wayne Beaton
 
|-
 
|-
Line 67: Line 67:
 
| '''WTP:'''  
 
| '''WTP:'''  
 
| Chuck Bridgham
 
| Chuck Bridgham
| Dave Carver<br>Neil Hauge
+
| <strike>Dave Carver</strike><br>Neil Hauge
 
|}
 
|}
  
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict)
+
* '''Signed-Up:''' John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Chuck Bridgham, Ian Bull, Christian Campo, Doug Clarke, Sebastien Gandon, Neil Hauge, Kenn Hussey, Markus Knauer, Achim Loerke, Martin O, Doug Schaefer, Eike Stepper, Krum Tsvetkov
 
+
* '''Regrets:''' Dave Carver, Benjamin Cabé, Ed Merks, Adrian Mos, Andrew Overholt, Brian Payton, Mary Ruddy
<!--
+
* '''No-Show:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Linda Chan, Mik Kersten, Mike Milinkovich, Kim Moir, Steffen Pingel, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Watson, David Williams, Mike Wilson
* '''Signed-Up:''' John Arthorne, Ian Bull, Benjamin Cabe, Kenn Hussey, Achim Loerke, Ed Merks, Martin O, Steffen Pingel, Doug Schaefer, Eike Stepper, Gunnar Wagenknecht, David Williams, Krum Zvetkov (SAP)
+
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Christian Campo (conflict)
+
* '''No-Show:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Wayne Beaton, Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Chuck Bridgham, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Linda Chan, Doug Clarke, Igor Fedorenko, Sebastien Gandon, Neil Hauge, Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Kim Moir, Adrian Mos, Andrew Overholt, Brian Payton, Pascal Rapicault, Mary Ruddy, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Darin Swanson, Tom Watson, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf, Gary Xue
+
-->
+
  
 
== Agenda / Notes  ==
 
== Agenda / Notes  ==
Line 88: Line 84:
  
 
=== New Topics ===
 
=== New Topics ===
 +
 +
* Welcome Krum Tsvetkov (Strategic, SAP)
 +
** Eclipse since 2008, MAT project lead, interested in troubleshooting tools, performance analysis, persistence
 +
 +
* [[Architecture Council/Members and Mentors]] cleanup - please review your Bio (link on name), affiliation and "home projects"
 +
 +
* Benjamin: Eclipse project SHOULD HAVE explicit '''target definition'''? (see thread on cross-project-issues ML http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/cross-project-issues-dev/msg08372.html)
 +
** Eike: Build uses buckminster, there is no target definition - would hate to maintain two redundant artifacts
 +
*** Buckminster requires constant maintenance - 20 foreign repositories mentioned ! Could see auto-generation
 +
** Martin: If target def is manually generated, it could be against older versions of dependencies ?
 +
** Ian: The trick is really about where to publish the target def ... related to other docs about how to contribute
 +
** Recommend projects to have some sort of "How to Contribute", and suggest using target def as one ingredient.
 +
*** Link to some "good examples" of existing projects eg Linuxtools, Egit, CDT
 +
* '''AI Krum''' put together an initial recommendation on Wiki, send to AC ML for feedback
 +
 +
* Wayne: '''Mentor responsibilities'''
 +
** AC members please look at mentored projects and check their status ... some might just need a nudge getting to 1.0, some might just not undestand their opportunities
 +
** Clean up candidates for termination
 +
** List of Mentor assignments in the Portal should mostly be OK at this point
 +
*** Some projects are still in incubation but pre-date the requirement for Mentors
  
 
=== General Topics ===
 
=== General Topics ===
  
 
* '''Eclipse Infrastructure''' - git, Gerrit, Maven, Hudson, Bugzilla, ...
 
* '''Eclipse Infrastructure''' - git, Gerrit, Maven, Hudson, Bugzilla, ...
 +
** Wayne: Lost 4 hard drives yesterday, might have had some impact on Hudson, Webmaster working on it
 +
** Wayne: Git migration looks good (Orbit will remain on CVS)
 +
*** Looking for AC input :how to re-sync / re-image / re-design Orbit ?
 +
*** EMO knows that maven needs to be put in focus (related to CBI)
 +
*** Would like to get Orbit off CVS by end 2013 ... potentially drive from CBI requirements. Maybe discuss at EclipseCon
 +
 +
* John: '''EclipseCon'''
 +
** AC meeting on Sunday ?
 +
** Session schedule now posted, still some empty spots to be filled
 +
*** '''AI Martin''' initiate AC meeting (room, time, invitation) - might need a different chair since Martin might not be able to attend in person
 +
 
* '''Updates from the Board or the EMO'''
 
* '''Updates from the Board or the EMO'''
 +
  
 
== Action Items  ==
 
== Action Items  ==
Line 104: Line 132:
 
== Next Meeting  ==
 
== Next Meeting  ==
  
*[[Architecture Council/Meetings/January 10 20131]]
+
*[[Architecture Council/Meetings/January 10 2013]]
  
 
[[Category:Architecture_Council_Meeting_Minutes]]
 
[[Category:Architecture_Council_Meeting_Minutes]]

Latest revision as of 06:12, 21 December 2012

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday December 13, 2012 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: Let's use the Foundation's Asterisk setup for this call:
  • Ottawa (local call in Ottawa) 1-613-454-1403
  • North America (toll free) 1-877-369-7806
  • Germany (local call anywhere in Germany) 49-692-2224-6059
  • France (local call anywhere in France) 33-17-070-8535
  • UK (toll free) 0800-033-7806

Participant conference extension: 701 then enter pin: 51968

  • SIP clients can call 701@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 51968.

Contents

[edit] Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Wenbin He
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Boris Bokowski
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Sven Efftinge
Mylyn: Steffen Pingel Mik Kersten
RT: Christian Campo Tom Watson
SOA: Adrian Mos Sebastien Gandon
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
WTP: Chuck Bridgham Dave Carver
Neil Hauge
  • Signed-Up: John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Chuck Bridgham, Ian Bull, Christian Campo, Doug Clarke, Sebastien Gandon, Neil Hauge, Kenn Hussey, Markus Knauer, Achim Loerke, Martin O, Doug Schaefer, Eike Stepper, Krum Tsvetkov
  • Regrets: Dave Carver, Benjamin Cabé, Ed Merks, Adrian Mos, Andrew Overholt, Brian Payton, Mary Ruddy
  • No-Show: Chris Aniszczyk, Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Linda Chan, Mik Kersten, Mike Milinkovich, Kim Moir, Steffen Pingel, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Watson, David Williams, Mike Wilson

[edit] Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

[edit] Review of Last Meeting

[edit] New Topics

  • Welcome Krum Tsvetkov (Strategic, SAP)
    • Eclipse since 2008, MAT project lead, interested in troubleshooting tools, performance analysis, persistence
  • Benjamin: Eclipse project SHOULD HAVE explicit target definition? (see thread on cross-project-issues ML http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/cross-project-issues-dev/msg08372.html)
    • Eike: Build uses buckminster, there is no target definition - would hate to maintain two redundant artifacts
      • Buckminster requires constant maintenance - 20 foreign repositories mentioned ! Could see auto-generation
    • Martin: If target def is manually generated, it could be against older versions of dependencies ?
    • Ian: The trick is really about where to publish the target def ... related to other docs about how to contribute
    • Recommend projects to have some sort of "How to Contribute", and suggest using target def as one ingredient.
      • Link to some "good examples" of existing projects eg Linuxtools, Egit, CDT
  • AI Krum put together an initial recommendation on Wiki, send to AC ML for feedback
  • Wayne: Mentor responsibilities
    • AC members please look at mentored projects and check their status ... some might just need a nudge getting to 1.0, some might just not undestand their opportunities
    • Clean up candidates for termination
    • List of Mentor assignments in the Portal should mostly be OK at this point
      • Some projects are still in incubation but pre-date the requirement for Mentors

[edit] General Topics

  • Eclipse Infrastructure - git, Gerrit, Maven, Hudson, Bugzilla, ...
    • Wayne: Lost 4 hard drives yesterday, might have had some impact on Hudson, Webmaster working on it
    • Wayne: Git migration looks good (Orbit will remain on CVS)
      • Looking for AC input :how to re-sync / re-image / re-design Orbit ?
      • EMO knows that maven needs to be put in focus (related to CBI)
      • Would like to get Orbit off CVS by end 2013 ... potentially drive from CBI requirements. Maybe discuss at EclipseCon
  • John: EclipseCon
    • AC meeting on Sunday ?
    • Session schedule now posted, still some empty spots to be filled
      • AI Martin initiate AC meeting (room, time, invitation) - might need a different chair since Martin might not be able to attend in person
  • Updates from the Board or the EMO


[edit] Action Items

  • Cleaned up old action items, see Architecture Council/Meetings/February 10 2011 for old stuff
  • (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • (old) Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • (old) Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated

[edit] Next Meeting