Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/December 12 2013"

(New Topics)
 
(2 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 29: Line 29:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''BIRT:'''  
 
| '''BIRT:'''  
| Wenfeng Li
+
| <strike>Wenfeng Li</strike>
| Wenbin He
+
| <strike>Wenbin He</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''DTP:'''  
 
| '''DTP:'''  
| Brian Payton
+
| <strike>Brian Payton</strike>
 
| Linda Chan
 
| Linda Chan
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Eclipse:'''  
 
| '''Eclipse:'''  
| Mike Wilson
+
| <strike>Mike Wilson</strike>
| John Arthorne
+
| <strike>John Arthorne</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Modeling:'''  
 
| '''Modeling:'''  
| Ed Merks
+
| <strike>Ed Merks</strike>
| Cédric Brun<br>Eike Stepper
+
| <strike>Cédric Brun</strike><br>Eike Stepper
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Mylyn:'''  
 
| '''Mylyn:'''  
| Steffen Pingel
+
| <strike>Steffen Pingel</strike>
| Mik Kersten
+
| <strike>Mik Kersten</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''RT:'''  
 
| '''RT:'''  
 
| Christian Campo
 
| Christian Campo
| Tom Watson<br>Doug Clarke<br>Ian Bull
+
| <strike>Tom Watson</strike><br><strike>Doug Clarke</strike><br>Ian Bull
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''SOA:'''  
 
| '''SOA:'''  
| Adrian Mos
+
| <strike>Adrian Mos</strike>
| Marc Dutoo
+
| <strike>Marc Dutoo</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Technology:'''  
 
| '''Technology:'''  
| Gunnar Wagenknecht
+
| <strike>Gunnar Wagenknecht</strike>
 
| Wayne Beaton
 
| Wayne Beaton
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Tools:'''  
 
| '''Tools:'''  
| Doug Schaefer  
+
| <strike>Doug Schaefer</strike>
 
| <br>
 
| <br>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''WTP:'''  
 
| '''WTP:'''  
| Chuck Bridgham
+
| <strike>Chuck Bridgham</strike>
| Neil Hauge
+
| <strike>Neil Hauge</strike>
 
|}
 
|}
  
 
===All Attendees===
 
===All Attendees===
 +
 +
* '''Signed-Up:''' Wayne Beaton, Marcel Bruch, Ian Bull, Christian Campo, Linda Chan, Martin O, Denis Roy, Michael Scharf, Eike Stepper,
 +
* '''Special Guest:''' Ian Skerret
 +
* '''Regrets:''' Chuck Bridgham, Benjamin Cabé, Neil Hauge, Jonas Helming, Achim Lörke, Markus Knauer, Maximilian Kögel, Ed Merks, Andrew Overholt, Steffen Pingel, Doug Schaefer, Krum Tsvetkov, Gunnar Wagenknecht
 +
* '''No-Show:''' Chris Aniszczyk, John Arthorne, Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Doug Clarke, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Mike Milinkovich, Kim Moir, Adrian Mos, Brian Payton, Tom Watson, David Williams
  
 
<!--
 
<!--
* '''Signed-Up:''' Wayne Beaton, Ian Bull, Neil Hauge, Jonas Helming, Achim Lörke, Adrian Mos, Martin O, Brian Payton, Steffen Pingel, Denis Roy, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Eike Stepper, Krum Tsvetkov, David Williams
+
* '''Dormant?''' Dave Carver, Mike Wilson
* '''Regrets:''' Chuck Bridgham, Markus Knauer, Andrew Overholt
+
* '''Dormant?''' Boris Bokowski, Dave Carver, Linda Chan, Mary Ruddy, Mike Wilson, Tom Schindl
+
* '''No-Show:''' Chris Aniszczyk, John Arthorne, Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Benjamin Cabé, Christian Campo, Doug Clarke, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Maximilian Kögel, Ed Merks, Mike Milinkovich, Kim Moir, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Watson
+
 
-->
 
-->
  
'''Regrets:'''
 
  
 
== Agenda / Notes  ==
 
== Agenda / Notes  ==
Line 90: Line 91:
  
 
=== New Topics ===
 
=== New Topics ===
 +
 +
* Welcome Marcel Bruch
 +
 +
=== Ian: New Logo ===
  
 
* Review design concepts of a new Eclipse logo  [Ian Skerrett will participate]
 
* Review design concepts of a new Eclipse logo  [Ian Skerrett will participate]
 +
** Technical Feedback - Example: Platform team said "We also need it monochrome"
 +
*** Martin, Ian B: Color in Designs C and D looks so different than current logo - might cause issues with "derived" logos eg Modeling, Tools: {{bug|370021}}, [http://git.eclipse.org/c/www.eclipse.org/tools.git/tree/EclipseToolsLogos EclipseToolsLogos]
 +
*** Platform and EPP logos need to be in line; also RT, ...
 +
** Design A
 +
*** Marcel: Favorite most - easy to print etc
 +
*** Appreciate the new color, new font - looks very clean
 +
** Design B
 +
*** Not sure how it addresses original goals - lot going on (radiance, ...)
 +
** Design C
 +
*** Reminds of a logo expected when typing Eclipse.org wrong and hitting a "foreign" site ... too different than what we have today
 +
*** Maybe try again the idea, but with different colors eg orange and purple
 +
** Design D
 +
*** Font OK, but the Logo doesn't appeal .. too much going on, too busy
 +
** "If you had to Pick One?"
 +
*** Responses: A,A,A (maybe slight variation in color eg colors from C) though B is almost as good
 +
 +
* Will there be a Web Redesign as part of the Logo Redesign ?
 +
** Yes, want to be done in time for Luna
 +
 +
=== Marcel: Logging at Eclipse ===
 +
 +
* See {{bug|358968}}: Different log providers in use at various projects ... commons.logging, log4j, slf4j, ...
 +
** Makes it hard for product builders to configure global logging
 +
** Makes it hard to properly wire up components
 +
** Looking for advice for new projects
 +
** See also [[Architecture_Council/Meetings/June_14_2012]], [http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/eclipse.org-architecture-council/msg01864.html AC ML Archive]
 +
** '''NEXT STEPS:''' Marcel agrees to drive this, preparing material for a discussion in Jan or Feb
 +
 +
=== Denis: Code Signing ===
 +
 +
* Simrel participation requires code signing - request all Eclipse.org projects to sign their release builds ?
 +
** Would need to have operation super easy ... description,
 +
** Would need to have VALUE to projects / community very clear. Usually, we make projects responsible for their own communities... what is the
 +
 +
* The less clear the value, the more easy must be the operation
 +
** Suggestion by Marcel : Will ask releng, could be super easy for Maven
 +
** '''NEXT STEPS:''' Marcel reach out to Releng, "how to sign in Maven" Blog Post
  
 
=== General Topics ===
 
=== General Topics ===

Latest revision as of 12:09, 12 December 2013

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday December 12, 2013 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: Let's use the Foundation's Asterisk setup for this call:
  • North America (toll free) 1-866-569-4992
  • Germany (local call anywhere in Germany) 49-692-2224-6059
  • France (local call anywhere in France) 33-17-070-8535
  • Switzerland, Spain, Sweden, others - see Asterisk/Numbers

Participant conference extension: 701 then enter pin: 51968

  • SIP clients can call 701@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 51968.

Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Wenbin He
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Eike Stepper
Mylyn: Steffen Pingel Mik Kersten
RT: Christian Campo Tom Watson
Doug Clarke
Ian Bull
SOA: Adrian Mos Marc Dutoo
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
WTP: Chuck Bridgham Neil Hauge

All Attendees

  • Signed-Up: Wayne Beaton, Marcel Bruch, Ian Bull, Christian Campo, Linda Chan, Martin O, Denis Roy, Michael Scharf, Eike Stepper,
  • Special Guest: Ian Skerret
  • Regrets: Chuck Bridgham, Benjamin Cabé, Neil Hauge, Jonas Helming, Achim Lörke, Markus Knauer, Maximilian Kögel, Ed Merks, Andrew Overholt, Steffen Pingel, Doug Schaefer, Krum Tsvetkov, Gunnar Wagenknecht
  • No-Show: Chris Aniszczyk, John Arthorne, Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Doug Clarke, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Mike Milinkovich, Kim Moir, Adrian Mos, Brian Payton, Tom Watson, David Williams


Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

New Topics

  • Welcome Marcel Bruch

  • Review design concepts of a new Eclipse logo [Ian Skerrett will participate]
    • Technical Feedback - Example: Platform team said "We also need it monochrome"
      • Martin, Ian B: Color in Designs C and D looks so different than current logo - might cause issues with "derived" logos eg Modeling, Tools: bug 370021, EclipseToolsLogos
      • Platform and EPP logos need to be in line; also RT, ...
    • Design A
      • Marcel: Favorite most - easy to print etc
      • Appreciate the new color, new font - looks very clean
    • Design B
      • Not sure how it addresses original goals - lot going on (radiance, ...)
    • Design C
      • Reminds of a logo expected when typing Eclipse.org wrong and hitting a "foreign" site ... too different than what we have today
      • Maybe try again the idea, but with different colors eg orange and purple
    • Design D
      • Font OK, but the Logo doesn't appeal .. too much going on, too busy
    • "If you had to Pick One?"
      • Responses: A,A,A (maybe slight variation in color eg colors from C) though B is almost as good
  • Will there be a Web Redesign as part of the Logo Redesign ?
    • Yes, want to be done in time for Luna

Marcel: Logging at Eclipse

  • See bug 358968: Different log providers in use at various projects ... commons.logging, log4j, slf4j, ...
    • Makes it hard for product builders to configure global logging
    • Makes it hard to properly wire up components
    • Looking for advice for new projects
    • See also Architecture_Council/Meetings/June_14_2012, AC ML Archive
    • NEXT STEPS: Marcel agrees to drive this, preparing material for a discussion in Jan or Feb

Denis: Code Signing

  • Simrel participation requires code signing - request all Eclipse.org projects to sign their release builds ?
    • Would need to have operation super easy ... description,
    • Would need to have VALUE to projects / community very clear. Usually, we make projects responsible for their own communities... what is the
  • The less clear the value, the more easy must be the operation
    • Suggestion by Marcel : Will ask releng, could be super easy for Maven
    • NEXT STEPS: Marcel reach out to Releng, "how to sign in Maven" Blog Post

General Topics

  • Eclipse Infrastructure - git, Gerrit, Maven, Hudson, Bugzilla, ...
  • Updates from the Board or the EMO

Action Items

  • Cleaned up old action items, see Architecture Council/Meetings/February 10 2011 for old stuff
  • (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • (old) Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • (old) Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated

Next Meeting