Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/December 10 2009"

Line 90: Line 90:
 
*Communicate that innovation on 3.x stream will slowly drop as 4.0 gains momentum.
 
*Communicate that innovation on 3.x stream will slowly drop as 4.0 gains momentum.
 
**Might be a little early to do this. Wait until e4 proves itself.
 
**Might be a little early to do this. Wait until e4 proves itself.
 +
**When is the right time to start porting (Eclipse) projects onto e4?
 
**We cannot dictate what's going into e3.x or not -- it's open source and the community decides. The only way of beating the adoption problem is for e4 to be really good
 
**We cannot dictate what's going into e3.x or not -- it's open source and the community decides. The only way of beating the adoption problem is for e4 to be really good
 
*Packages require e4 in 2011
 
*Packages require e4 in 2011

Revision as of 08:35, 15 December 2009

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday December 10, 2009 at 1600 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063

Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Gary Xue
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
DSDP: Martin Oberhuber
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Bernd Kolb (unofficial)
RT: Jeff McAffer Jochen Krause
Tom Watson
STP: Oisin Hurley Antoine Toulme
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
TPTP: Eugene Chan Oliver Cole
Joanna Kubasta
WTP: Tim deBoer Dave Carver
  • Signed-up: John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Cedric Brun, Dave Carver, Eugene Chan, Tim deBoer, Bernd Kolb, Andrew Overholt, Martin O, Brian Payton, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Tom Watson, Gary Xue
  • Regrets: Boris Bokowski (Board Meeting Conflict), Ed Merks (Board Meeting Conflict), Mike Wilson
  • No-Show: Chris Aniszczyk, Nick Boldt, Linda Chan, Doug Clarke, Adrian Colyer, Sven Efftinge, Neil Hauge, Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Wenfeng Li, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Mary Ruddy, Tom Schindl, Darin Swanson, Antoine Toulme, Sebastian Voigt, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Dave Williams, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf, Darin Wright

Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

  • Architecture Council/Meetings/November 12 2009
  • (old) Tools and Tech PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor; mentorless projects due to AC members quitting or falling dormant
  • (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • (old) Dave C work with Wayne on a "handbook" for project criteria for becoming a committer (referencing committer guidelines)
  • (old) Dave C come up with a document how to save build resources
  • (old) Dave C to try bugzilla UNCONFIRMED state
  • Martin to file bug for asking Mik hyperlink Wikitext / crowdsourcing Docs handbook on the Architecture Council/Top Ten Project Development Practices page
  • Wayne to ask Sonatype about Nexus test installation
  • Wayne to try doing a 3.6m2 API Report on Helios m2
  • 'Ed to tell Cloudsmith about bug 283745 Maven
  • Still open items moved to #Action Items

e4 - current state of affairs

  • AC should be taking a leadership role in e4.
  • Work with projects we mentor to make sure that they are aware of e4 and that decisions they're making are compatible with the future of Eclipse.
  • Need to spend more time developing mindshare around e4.
  • Consider driving future compatibility into the 3.x stream to assist with migration strategy.
  • Inform Planning Council that we would like them to base the 2011 release train on Eclipse 4.0
    • The Helios marketing buzz end June is a great opportunity for getting the message out that "Next year's train is going to run on e4"
  • Communicate that innovation on 3.x stream will slowly drop as 4.0 gains momentum.
    • Might be a little early to do this. Wait until e4 proves itself.
    • When is the right time to start porting (Eclipse) projects onto e4?
    • We cannot dictate what's going into e3.x or not -- it's open source and the community decides. The only way of beating the adoption problem is for e4 to be really good
  • Packages require e4 in 2011
    • With or without a compatibility layer
    • A great chance for e4 features to prove useful in "product scope" in the packages... and start adopting features which "only work on e4 but not on e3.x"

Action Items

  • (old) Martin to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
  • (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
    • While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
  • (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
  • (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
  • Ask e4 team to pitch a migration talk at EclipseCon.
  • Wayne to ask EclipseCon PC/Donald if we can get a room for e4 Hack-a-thon (migration, creating plug-ins, etc.)
  • Wayne to discuss "e4 ready" marketing campaign with Ian.

Next Meeting