Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/August 12 2010"

(Corrected spelling of QtJambi)
 
(One intermediate revision by one other user not shown)
Line 86: Line 86:
 
** This is an Executive Director's thing... Mike M to look at when back from vacation
 
** This is an Executive Director's thing... Mike M to look at when back from vacation
 
** Doug S thinks there's only one option (Nokia licensing it)
 
** Doug S thinks there's only one option (Nokia licensing it)
** Wayne thinks the QT / Janbee dual-license could be used.
+
** Wayne thinks the QT / QtJambi dual-license could be used.
  
 
=== IP Policy ===
 
=== IP Policy ===
Line 141: Line 141:
 
* (''old'') '''Martin''' to file bug for asking Mik hyperlink Wikitext / crowdsourcing Docs handbook on the [[Architecture Council/Top Ten Project Development Practices]] page
 
* (''old'') '''Martin''' to file bug for asking Mik hyperlink Wikitext / crowdsourcing Docs handbook on the [[Architecture Council/Top Ten Project Development Practices]] page
 
* (''old'') '''Tom S''' Athena Common Builder Cookbook
 
* (''old'') '''Tom S''' Athena Common Builder Cookbook
* '''Tim''' write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
+
* (''old'') '''Tim''' write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
 
* '''Martin''' revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
 
* '''Martin''' revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
 
* '''Martin''' {{bug|315210}} Make the AC mailing list open / moderated
 
* '''Martin''' {{bug|315210}} Make the AC mailing list open / moderated
* '''Antoine / Dave C''' Requirements Wiki for build systems
+
* '''Antoine / Dave C''' {{bug|316642}} Requirements Wiki for build systems
  
 
== Next Meeting ==
 
== Next Meeting ==

Latest revision as of 12:37, 12 August 2010

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday August 12, 2010 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063

Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Gary Xue
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
DSDP: Martin Oberhuber
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Boris Bokowski
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Sven Efftinge
RT: Jeff McAffer Tom Watson
STP: Antoine Toulme Oisin Hurley
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
TPTP: Jonathan West
WTP: Tim deBoer Dave Carver
Neil Hauge
  • Signed-up: Chris Aniszczyk, Wayne Beaton, Linda Chan, Neil Hauge, Jeff McAffer, Ed Merks, Andrew Overholt, Martin O, Brian Payton, Doug Schaefer, Jonathan West,
  • Regrets: Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Antoine Toulme, Gunnar Wagenknecht (conflicting appointment), Mik Kersten (at Agile conference), Darin Wright (conflict)
  • No-Show: John Arthorne, Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Eugene Chan, Doug Clarke, Tim deBoer, Oisin Hurley, Kenn Hussey, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Mike Milinkovich, Kim Moir, Mary Ruddy, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Darin Swanson, Tom Watson, Dave Williams, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf, Gary Xue

Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

  • Architecture Council/Meetings/July 8 2010
  • Ok green.gif zx Helios API Tooling Report
  • Ok green.gif AI Boris, Ed ask Mike to more frequently publish board minutes
    • Mike replies - it's a big tedious effort which only Mike can do, complains about backlog
    • Will try again at a face-to-face meeting
  • Still open items moved to #Action Items

SWT and QT

  • Doug S: bug 318484 SWT using LGPL Javalib for talking to QT
    • Wayne: non-exempt pre-req / works-with: we cannot ship QT but we can use it
    • GTK is similar .. pre-dates current wording of the IP policy
    • Cannot expect QT to be installed on average user's workstation
    • This is an Executive Director's thing... Mike M to look at when back from vacation
    • Doug S thinks there's only one option (Nokia licensing it)
    • Wayne thinks the QT / QtJambi dual-license could be used.

IP Policy

  • Wayne: Appeal to Mentors evangelize the Eclipse IP Policy with their projects
    • IP Policy is one of the key benefits of Eclipse
    • One goal is avoid situation where end users "have to get lib X from Y or otherwise nothing works"
    • Jeff thinks that some of the Policy is too hard ... on Equinox PMC, there's some CQ's where they just don't know what to do
    • Wayne wants Mentors to help ... and Janet to help out where Mentors are overwhelmed (schedule something with the RT PMC)
  • There's a couple of simple things:
    • iplog+ the attachment, not the bug
    • Code is copyrightable, ideas are not
      • There's corner cases, e.g. is the Manifest of a lib copyrightable? Bundling does seem like an act of creativity .. but IP team in the end concluded it's not IP

e4 - current state of affairs

  • Eclipse 4.0 has shipped - not seen much buzz or feedback yet, neither positive nor negative
  • Maybe a good sign that it's taken as what it is - an Early Adopter's Release, but not for end users

Feature Inclusions / Ranges

  • Jeff: Feature inclusions vs. requires (came up at end of Helios):
    • Buckminster allows converting "feature inclusions" to "ranges" - this has a lot of wide and nontrivial implications
    • Referred people to the AC - see the cross-project Thread from Jun 2, and bug 315276
    • Jeff tends to have Projects drive this (ie file questions / bugs against the AC) - preferredly not at the end of Indigo

News from the EMO

  • Wayne: BPEL leadership has been replaced
  • Wayne: Tycho approved - yet another build technology

Portal Replacement

  • Eclipse desires to replace the Portal ... looking at Drupal, like to hear alternative suggestions
    • Jeff: Consider running as RAP app?
    • Wayne thinks it's a content management app and not just frontend to databases


Action Items

  • (old) Martin to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
  • (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
    • While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
  • (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
  • (old) Tools and Tech PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor; mentorless projects due to AC members quitting or falling dormant
  • (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
  • (old) Dave C work with Wayne on a "handbook" for project criteria for becoming a committer (referencing committer guidelines)
  • (old) Dave C come up with a document how to save build resources
  • (old) Dave C to try bugzilla UNCONFIRMED state
  • (old) Wayne to ask Sonatype about Nexus test installation
  • (old) Wayne to try doing a 3.6m2 API Report on Helios m2
  • (old) Martin to file bug for asking Mik hyperlink Wikitext / crowdsourcing Docs handbook on the Architecture Council/Top Ten Project Development Practices page
  • (old) Tom S Athena Common Builder Cookbook
  • (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated
  • Antoine / Dave C bug 316642 Requirements Wiki for build systems

Next Meeting