Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/August 11 2011"

(Add Ketan's bug about DVCS/websites to the agenda)
(make note that globally setting pull strategy only affects future clones/branches)
 
(4 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 17: Line 17:
 
| '''BIRT:'''
 
| '''BIRT:'''
 
| <strike>Wenfeng Li</strike>
 
| <strike>Wenfeng Li</strike>
| Gary Xue
+
| <strike>Gary Xue</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''DTP:'''
 
| '''DTP:'''
Line 24: Line 24:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Eclipse:'''
 
| '''Eclipse:'''
| Mike Wilson
+
| <strike>Mike Wilson</strike>
| John Arthorne<br/>Boris Bokowski
+
| John Arthorne<br/><strike>Boris Bokowski</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Modeling:'''
 
| '''Modeling:'''
 
| Ed Merks
 
| Ed Merks
| Cédric Brun<br/>Sven Efftinge
+
| <strike>Cédric Brun</strike><br/><strike>Sven Efftinge</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Mylyn:'''
 
| '''Mylyn:'''
 
| Steffen Pingel
 
| Steffen Pingel
| Mik Kersten
+
| <strike>Mik Kersten</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''RT:'''
 
| '''RT:'''
| Jeff McAffer
+
| <strike>Jeff McAffer</strike>
| Tom Watson
+
| <strike>Tom Watson</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''SOA:'''
 
| '''SOA:'''
| Adrian Mos
+
| <strike>Adrian Mos</strike>
 
|  
 
|  
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Technology:'''
 
| '''Technology:'''
| Gunnar Wagenknecht
+
| <strike>Gunnar Wagenknecht</strike>
| Wayne Beaton
+
| <strike>Wayne Beaton</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Tools:'''
 
| '''Tools:'''
| Doug Schaefer
+
| <strike>Doug Schaefer</strike>
 
|
 
|
 
|-
 
|-
Line 56: Line 56:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''WTP:'''
 
| '''WTP:'''
| Chuck Bridgham
+
| <strike>Chuck Bridgham</strike>
| Dave Carver<br/>Neil Hauge
+
| <strike>Dave Carver</strike><br/>Neil Hauge
 
|}
 
|}
  
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict)
 
  
<!--
+
* '''Signed-up:''' John Arthorne, Linda Chan, Doug Clarke, Neil Hauge, Kenn Hussey, Achim Loerke, Ed Merks, Kim Moir, Martin O, Andrew Overholt, Brian Payton, Steffen Pingel, Mary Ruddy
* '''Signed-up:''' Chris Aniszczyk, John Arthorne, Boris Bokowski, Christian Campo, Dave Carver, Linda Chan, Doug Clarke, Neil Hauge, Ed Merks, Martin O, Brian Payton, Rapicault, Mary Ruddy, Steffen Pingel, Rapicault, Mary Ruddy, Doug Schaefer, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Gary Xue
+
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Christian Campo (conflict), Adrian Mos, Wayne Beaton
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Adrian Mos (public holiday)
+
* '''No-Show:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Chuck Bridgham, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Pascal Rapicault, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Darin Swanson, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Watson, David Williams, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf, Gary Xue
* '''No-Show:''' Wayne Beaton, Nick Boldt, Chuck Bridgham, Cédric Brun, Oisin Hurley, Kenn Hussey, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Achim Loerke, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Kim Moir, Andrew Overholt, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Darin Swanson, Tom Watson, David Williams, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf
+
-->
+
  
 
== Agenda / Notes ==
 
== Agenda / Notes ==
Line 78: Line 75:
 
=== New Topics ===
 
=== New Topics ===
  
=== General Topics ===
+
==== Simplify Project Mgmt ====
 +
* {{bug|261408}} - '''Simplify Project Mgmt'''
 +
** Andrew O: Looking through the backlog, I saw {{bug|261408}} from Ketan and would like to discuss progress on moving away from the PHP-based websites (or at least clarify that there's no requirement to use them)
 +
** DVCS - available now; simplified website - available now (Wayne working on data-driven website, but not quite )
 +
** Martin: automated builds are a 3rd ingredient for making it easy to run a project - do we have simple instructions for Tycho / Minerva already?
 +
** Andrew: Ideally, have like "congrats, your project is provisioned... here's git, here's hudson, here's tycho, here's bugzilla, here's website; mailinglist, newsgroup"
 +
*** Contributor's Guide ... Martin likes the [[Linux_Tools_Project/Getting_Involved]], [http://eclipse.org/egit/developers/ egit getting involved], [http://eclipse.org/cdt/developers.php CDT one] - all are terse but helpful, using a common format on their homepage ([http://eclipse.org/egit egit], [http://eclipse.org/cdt cdt])
 +
*** Pointer to Wiki Development_Resources
 +
*** Remy's article "how to fix a bug in Eclipse": http://www.eclipse.org/resources/resource.php?id=514
 +
** John: Just set up a project - maintaining the portal metadata is still difficult, some 30 fields available but only have to fill 10
 +
*** Andrew: Wayne might be working on getting rid of the portal and doing Drupal instead...
 +
*** John: Metadata is helpful, but doing the 1st pass was daunting ... especially where it asks for URL's it keeps couple questions open (where should the URL point to?)
 +
** John: Process for making contributions is different between projects ... common place for the Contributors Guide ... maybe a template Contributor Guide for default infrastructure
 +
*** Moving to common infrastructure helps ... OK learning once how to contribute but don't want to learn over again
  
* Updates from the Board
+
==== git @ Eclipse progress ====
 
* git @ Eclipse progress
 
* git @ Eclipse progress
* Maven @ Eclipse progress
+
** AC to recommend Best Practice for common workflows ... rather than every project running into the same issues
 +
** Ed: people still using commandline, tools are still buggy... wizards require a lot of understanding
 +
*** Eg when Pull runs into a conflict there's NPE's, traces... have to copy files...
 +
*** Commandline tools just work, it's easy to get lost in the UI
 +
*** John: Merge on commandline can be dauting too... commit after a merge there's lots of changes I didn't do
 +
*** Kenn: Always commit to a local branch before attempting to merge
 +
** Andrew: Things became a lot clearer when changing pull strategy to "rebase" from "merge" (also get linear history)
 +
*** '''Fetch + Rebase instead of Pull'''... or globally set the pull strategy to rebase (''only affects future clones/branches'' - see {{bug|345504}}
 +
** Ed: Common Recipe, Q&A for Simple Things
 +
*** John: [[Platform-releng/Git_Workflows]] is closest (from committer's point of view) - Contributor Guides for Contributor Level
 +
*** Maintenance Streams: In CVS, branched single plugins only... in git, branch is at the repository level... wouldn't have branched jface, but now have to deliver to both branches
 +
** Martin: '''Simple Recipe for Contributors''' (1) create local branch, (2) commit, (3) create patch from History View
 +
** Kim: Builds picking up incorrect versions... no common root cause (wrong builder, user error... egit fetch factory was a problem - applies to PDE build)
 +
*** Platform migrated 9 of 25 repos so far - migrating larger repos is very time consuming (1 day per repo) - just adding .gitignore files took 9 hours
  
=== Old Topics ===
+
=== General Topics ===
* Henrik Lindberg ESE proceedings are now online [[WhatIsInABuildESE2010]]
+
** '''AI zx''' Create Indigo report
+
  
* {{bug|324125}} architecture diagrams - [http://www.eclipse.org/org/councils/roadmap_v2_0/AC_v2_0/index.php 2006 version] - relationship to e4 ?
+
* Updates from the Board
* '''IP Logs''' - Martin and Wayne - [http://eclipse.org/woolsey/ project woolsey] exists and open for community, Wayne hopes get soemthing downloadable by Christmas
+
** Ed: Not much technical happening ... some discussions around Long-Term Support (10, 15 Years or more)
** Allow projects to file bugs which list collections of libraries that are used for testing (and mark these collectively as exemt prereqs)
+
*** One of the biggest issues is how to do builds
*** Couldn't distribute those libs or put them in scm, but could have them on the build server
+
*** Package the sources along with the build infra (decouple from public repos)
  
We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:
+
* Maven @ Eclipse progress
 
+
** Tycho and source bundle generation - can't auto-generate source bundles today (Maybe a tycho bug) - any shortcut?
* DaveC would like to discuss New Committer Guidelines; Scrum / Agile techniques
+
** Workaround: manually generate container features, the source bundles will be auto-generated by Tycho
* {{bug|288393}} - Denis - Bugzilla Best Practices
+
  
* '''[[Architecture Council/Open Issues|AC Bugzilla]]''' backlog
+
* AC Backlog
* See also [[Architecture Council/Open Issues]] for overflow items that were not discussed
+
** Andrew looked through it - 55 as of today - commented on some asking to close
* Looking through the backlog, I saw {{bug|261408}} from Ketan and would like to discuss progress on moving away from the PHP-based websites (or at least clarify that there's no requirement to use them) -- Andrew Overholt
+
** Any AC member can close bugs, the mailing list is auto-notified when a bug is closed
* News from the EMO and Councils ?
+
  
 
== Action Items ==
 
== Action Items ==

Latest revision as of 12:35, 11 August 2011

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday August 11, 2011 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063

Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Gary Xue
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Boris Bokowski
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Sven Efftinge
Mylyn: Steffen Pingel Mik Kersten
RT: Jeff McAffer Tom Watson
SOA: Adrian Mos
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
TPTP: (TBA)
WTP: Chuck Bridgham Dave Carver
Neil Hauge


  • Signed-up: John Arthorne, Linda Chan, Doug Clarke, Neil Hauge, Kenn Hussey, Achim Loerke, Ed Merks, Kim Moir, Martin O, Andrew Overholt, Brian Payton, Steffen Pingel, Mary Ruddy
  • Regrets: Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Christian Campo (conflict), Adrian Mos, Wayne Beaton
  • No-Show: Chris Aniszczyk, Boris Bokowski, Nick Boldt, Chuck Bridgham, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Oisin Hurley, Mik Kersten, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Pascal Rapicault, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Darin Swanson, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Watson, David Williams, Mike Wilson, Oliver Wolf, Gary Xue

Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

New Topics

Simplify Project Mgmt

  • bug 261408 - Simplify Project Mgmt
    • Andrew O: Looking through the backlog, I saw bug 261408 from Ketan and would like to discuss progress on moving away from the PHP-based websites (or at least clarify that there's no requirement to use them)
    • DVCS - available now; simplified website - available now (Wayne working on data-driven website, but not quite )
    • Martin: automated builds are a 3rd ingredient for making it easy to run a project - do we have simple instructions for Tycho / Minerva already?
    • Andrew: Ideally, have like "congrats, your project is provisioned... here's git, here's hudson, here's tycho, here's bugzilla, here's website; mailinglist, newsgroup"
    • John: Just set up a project - maintaining the portal metadata is still difficult, some 30 fields available but only have to fill 10
      • Andrew: Wayne might be working on getting rid of the portal and doing Drupal instead...
      • John: Metadata is helpful, but doing the 1st pass was daunting ... especially where it asks for URL's it keeps couple questions open (where should the URL point to?)
    • John: Process for making contributions is different between projects ... common place for the Contributors Guide ... maybe a template Contributor Guide for default infrastructure
      • Moving to common infrastructure helps ... OK learning once how to contribute but don't want to learn over again

git @ Eclipse progress

  • git @ Eclipse progress
    • AC to recommend Best Practice for common workflows ... rather than every project running into the same issues
    • Ed: people still using commandline, tools are still buggy... wizards require a lot of understanding
      • Eg when Pull runs into a conflict there's NPE's, traces... have to copy files...
      • Commandline tools just work, it's easy to get lost in the UI
      • John: Merge on commandline can be dauting too... commit after a merge there's lots of changes I didn't do
      • Kenn: Always commit to a local branch before attempting to merge
    • Andrew: Things became a lot clearer when changing pull strategy to "rebase" from "merge" (also get linear history)
      • Fetch + Rebase instead of Pull... or globally set the pull strategy to rebase (only affects future clones/branches - see bug 345504
    • Ed: Common Recipe, Q&A for Simple Things
      • John: Platform-releng/Git_Workflows is closest (from committer's point of view) - Contributor Guides for Contributor Level
      • Maintenance Streams: In CVS, branched single plugins only... in git, branch is at the repository level... wouldn't have branched jface, but now have to deliver to both branches
    • Martin: Simple Recipe for Contributors (1) create local branch, (2) commit, (3) create patch from History View
    • Kim: Builds picking up incorrect versions... no common root cause (wrong builder, user error... egit fetch factory was a problem - applies to PDE build)
      • Platform migrated 9 of 25 repos so far - migrating larger repos is very time consuming (1 day per repo) - just adding .gitignore files took 9 hours

General Topics

  • Updates from the Board
    • Ed: Not much technical happening ... some discussions around Long-Term Support (10, 15 Years or more)
      • One of the biggest issues is how to do builds
      • Package the sources along with the build infra (decouple from public repos)
  • Maven @ Eclipse progress
    • Tycho and source bundle generation - can't auto-generate source bundles today (Maybe a tycho bug) - any shortcut?
    • Workaround: manually generate container features, the source bundles will be auto-generated by Tycho
  • AC Backlog
    • Andrew looked through it - 55 as of today - commented on some asking to close
    • Any AC member can close bugs, the mailing list is auto-notified when a bug is closed

Action Items

  • Cleaned up old action items, see Architecture Council/Meetings/February 10 2011 for old stuff
  • (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • (old) Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
  • Martin revise the AC Wiki to make it easier to find the New Member Process. More links on homepage. More usage of categories.
  • Martin bug 315210 Make the AC mailing list open / moderated

Next Meeting