Jump to: navigation, search

Architecture Council/Meetings/April 9 2009

< Architecture Council‎ | Meetings
Revision as of 13:47, 9 April 2009 by D a carver.yahoo.com (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday April 9, 2009 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: (+1) 613.287.8000 (Ottawa and international) or
866.362.7064 (toll-free North America)
passcode 464440#

Attendees

  • Use the Doodle Attendance Tracking Poll to confirm attendance or send regrets for this meeting. See this message for how to use it. All AC Members are invited.
  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Gary Xue
DTP: Brian Fitzpatrick Linda Chan
DSDP: Doug Gaff Martin Oberhuber
Eclipse: Philippe Mulet Mike Wilson
Modeling: Richard Gronback Ed Merks
Cédric Brun
RT: Jeff McAffer Jochen Krause
Tom Watson
STP: Oisin Hurley Antoine Toulme
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
TPTP: Eugene Chan Oliver Cole
Joanna Kubasta
WTP: Tim deBoer Dave Carver
  • Signed-up: John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Boris Bokowski, David Carver, Eugene Chan, Linda Chan, Brian Fitzpatrick, Neil Hauge, Mik Kersten, Martin Oberhuber, Andrew Overholt, Antoine Toulme, Tom Watson, Mike Wilson
  • Regrets: Chris Aniszczyk, Oliver Cole, Tim deBoer, Sven Efftinge, Markus Knauer, Darin Swanson, Mark VandenBrink, Sebastian Voigt, Darin Wright,
  • No-Show: Doug Clarke, Adrian Colyer, Naci Dai, Bjorn Freeman-Benson, Doug Gaff, John Graham, Richard Gronback, Jochen Krause, Wenfeng Li, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Philippe Mulet, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Georg Schmidt, Karsten Schmidt, David Williams, Ed Merks, Mary Ruddy, Gunnar Wagenknecht

Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

New Topics

  • Bugzilla Best Practices: Boris - New Platform UI/Bug Triage
    • AI Martin summarize recommendations on Wiki, Dave to add hyperlinks
    • David Carver XSL_Release_Plan contains the milestones and what bugs are planed to be worked on during particular milestones and which have been completed during those milestones. Also for more information in regards to how we triage and plan using bugzilla see Agile Bugzilla Triaging


Old items

  • API Deprecation: Architecture Council/Meetings/API Deprecation 20080119 follow-up
    • Boris - thought experiments ("What ripple effects would it cause if EMF broke XX")
    • McQ: API Dep. is important in order to get innovation without busting existing projects
    • Need to get a Policy written down ... and eventually make that a must-do for the Train. For example
      • Say ahead of time that we intend to remove some function (that has been superseded)
      • Make sure that people can respond to that
      • Deprecate in release N --> Give 2 releases to get off
      • Proactively prove that it is possible to get off
    • When can e4 be on the release train? If anything is broken, we need to give 2 years before people can switch
    • Martin: soft deprecation ("not rercommended") vs hard deprecation ("strongly discouraged") : add a "best before" date to deprecation tag
    • Talking about a list of tags and their meaning
      • Work on recommendations right now, allow projects to use them
      • McQ thinks it only makes sense if the recommendation "has teeth" as a must-have
      • We won't be able to get it in as a must-have for 3.5, but start working on it and bring it up next call.
  • See also Architecture Council/Open Issues for overflow items that were not discussed
  • PMC Representation for Tools, WTP?
  • Mike/Bjorn on the AC?
  • News from the EMO and Councils ?

Action Items

  • (old) Martin to follow up with the m2eclipse and IAM projects regarding duplication
  • (old) Martin to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
  • (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
    • While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
  • (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
  • (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
  • (old) Tools and Tech PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor
  • (old) Cedric, Tom talk to their PMCs about making AC representation official (can be 2 backup reps)
  • Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • Martin to create AC bugzilla best practices page
  • Dave to add hyperlinks to that page
  • Mik to send E-Mail with "how to use bug reporting wizarrd" to ac mailing list
  • Linda to send E-Mail with screenshots of portal to define Wiki Navbar to the ac mailing list

Next Meeting