Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/April 9 2009"

From Eclipsepedia

Jump to: navigation, search
Line 16: Line 16:
 
{|border=1 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=1
 
{|border=1 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=1
 
| '''BIRT:'''
 
| '''BIRT:'''
| Wenfeng Li
+
| <strike>Wenfeng Li</strike>
| Gary Xue
+
| <strike>Gary Xue</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''DTP:'''
 
| '''DTP:'''
Line 24: Line 24:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''DSDP:'''
 
| '''DSDP:'''
| Doug Gaff
+
| <strike>Doug Gaff</strike>
 
| Martin Oberhuber
 
| Martin Oberhuber
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Eclipse:'''
 
| '''Eclipse:'''
| Philippe Mulet
+
| <strike>Philippe Mulet</strike>
 
| Mike Wilson
 
| Mike Wilson
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Modeling:'''
 
| '''Modeling:'''
| Richard Gronback
+
| <strike>Richard Gronback</strike>
| Ed Merks<br/>Cédric Brun
+
| <strike>Ed Merks</strike><br/><strike>Cédric Brun</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''RT:'''
 
| '''RT:'''
| Jeff McAffer
+
| <strike>Jeff McAffer</strike>
| Jochen Krause<br/>Tom Watson
+
| <strike>Jochen Krause</strike><br/>Tom Watson
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''STP:'''
 
| '''STP:'''
| Oisin Hurley
+
| <strike>Oisin Hurley</strike>
 
| Antoine Toulme
 
| Antoine Toulme
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Technology:'''
 
| '''Technology:'''
| Gunnar Wagenknecht
+
| <strike>Gunnar Wagenknecht</strike>
 
| Wayne Beaton
 
| Wayne Beaton
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Tools:'''
 
| '''Tools:'''
| Doug Schaefer
+
| <strike>Doug Schaefer</strike>
 
|
 
|
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''TPTP:'''
 
| '''TPTP:'''
 
| Eugene Chan
 
| Eugene Chan
| Oliver Cole<br/>Joanna Kubasta
+
| <strike>Oliver Cole</strike><br/><strike>Joanna Kubasta</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''WTP:'''
 
| '''WTP:'''
| Tim deBoer
+
| <strike>Tim deBoer</strike>
 
| Dave Carver
 
| Dave Carver
 
|}
 
|}
  
<!--
+
* '''Signed-up:''' John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Boris Bokowski, David Carver, Eugene Chan, Linda Chan, Brian Fitzpatrick, Neil Hauge, Mik Kersten, Martin Oberhuber, Andrew Overholt, Antoine Toulme, Tom Watson, Mike Wilson
* '''Signed-up:''' John Arthorne, Boris Bokowski, Neil Hauge, Markus Knauer, Bernd Kolb (for Karsten Schmidt), Andrew Overholt, Michael Scharf, Mark VandenBrink
+
* '''Regrets:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Oliver Cole, Tim deBoer, Sven Efftinge, Markus Knauer, Darin Swanson, Mark VandenBrink, Sebastian Voigt, Darin Wright,
* '''Regrets:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Oliver Cole, Ed Merks, Mary Ruddy, Darin Swanson, Gunnar Wagenknecht
+
* '''No-Show:''' Doug Clarke, Adrian Colyer, Naci Dai, Bjorn Freeman-Benson, Doug Gaff, John Graham, Richard Gronback, Jochen Krause, Wenfeng Li, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Philippe Mulet, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Georg Schmidt, Karsten Schmidt, David Williams, Ed Merks, Mary Ruddy, Gunnar Wagenknecht
* '''No-Show:''' David Carver, Doug Clarke, Adrian Colyer, Tim deBoer, Naci Dai, Sven Efftinge, Bjorn Freeman-Benson, Doug Gaff, John Graham, Richard Gronback, Mik Kersten, Jochen Krause, Wenfeng Li, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Philippe Mulet, Doug Schaefer, Tom Schindl, Georg Schmidt, David Williams, Darin Wright
+
-->
+
  
 
== Agenda / Notes ==
 
== Agenda / Notes ==
Line 71: Line 69:
 
=== Review of Last Meeting ===
 
=== Review of Last Meeting ===
 
* [[Architecture Council/Meetings/March 12 2009]]
 
* [[Architecture Council/Meetings/March 12 2009]]
* (''old'') '''Martin''' to follow up with the m2eclipse and IAM projects regarding duplication
 
* (''old'') '''Martin''' to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
 
* (''old'') '''Michael''' to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started [[Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns]], backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
 
** While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
 
* (''old'') '''Michael''' to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
 
* (''old'') '''Mik''' to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
 
* (''old'') '''Tools and Tech PMC's''' to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor
 
* '''Cedric, Tom''' talk to their PMCs about making AC representation official (can be 2 backup reps)
 
 
* [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] '''AC Panelists''' review the [[Architecture Council/Ask the AC]] Q&A wiki
 
* [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] '''AC Panelists''' review the [[Architecture Council/Ask the AC]] Q&A wiki
 
* [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] '''Everyone''' add to the [[Architecture Council/Meetings/March 22 F2F EclipseCon 2009]] agenda
 
* [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] '''Everyone''' add to the [[Architecture Council/Meetings/March 22 F2F EclipseCon 2009]] agenda
Line 85: Line 75:
  
 
=== New Topics ===
 
=== New Topics ===
* '''EclipseCon''' follow-up from [[Architecture Council/Meetings/March 22 F2F EclipseCon 2009]]
 
** [[Architecture Council/Ask the AC]] panel:
 
 
 
* Boris - New [[Platform UI/Bug Triage]] - can we come up with a common Best Practice for bug triage?
 
* Boris - New [[Platform UI/Bug Triage]] - can we come up with a common Best Practice for bug triage?
 +
** '''AI Martin''' summarize recommendations on Wiki, Dave to add hyperlinks
  
 
* [[Git for Committers]] - any news?
 
* [[Git for Committers]] - any news?
 +
** Egit in proposal phase, Doug Gaff put notes from EclipseCon Git BOF on the Wiki
 +
 +
* '''EclipseCon''' follow-up from [[Architecture Council/Meetings/March 22 F2F EclipseCon 2009]]
 +
** [[Architecture Council/Ask the AC]] panel:
 +
** '''AI Martin''' put notes onto the Wiki
  
 
=== Old items ===
 
=== Old items ===
Line 96: Line 89:
 
* [[Architecture Council/Meetings/API Deprecation 20080119]] follow-up
 
* [[Architecture Council/Meetings/API Deprecation 20080119]] follow-up
 
** Boris - thought experiments ("What ripple effects would it cause if EMF broke XX")
 
** Boris - thought experiments ("What ripple effects would it cause if EMF broke XX")
 +
** McQ: API Dep. is important in order to get innovation without busting existing projects
 +
** Need to get a Policy written down ... and eventually make that a must-do for the Train. For example
 +
*** Say ahead of time that we intend to remove some function (that has been superseded)
 +
*** Make sure that people can respond to that
 +
*** Deprecate in release N --> Give 2 releases to get off
 +
*** Proactively prove that it is possible to get off
 +
** When can e4 be on the release train? If anything is broken, we need to give 2 years before people can switch
 +
** '''Martin:''' soft deprecation ("not rercommended") vs hard deprecation ("strongly discouraged") : add a "best before" date to deprecation tag
 +
** Talking about a list of tags and their meaning
 +
*** Work on recommendations right now, allow projects to use them
 +
*** McQ thinks it only makes sense if the recommendation "has teeth" as a must-have
 +
*** We won't be able to get it in as a must-have for 3.5, but start working on it and bring it up next call.
  
 
* See also [[Architecture Council/Open Issues]] for overflow items that were not discussed
 
* See also [[Architecture Council/Open Issues]] for overflow items that were not discussed
Line 103: Line 108:
  
 
== Action Items ==
 
== Action Items ==
 
+
* (''old'') '''Martin''' to follow up with the m2eclipse and IAM projects regarding duplication
 +
* (''old'') '''Martin''' to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
 +
* (''old'') '''Michael''' to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started [[Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns]], backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
 +
** While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
 +
* (''old'') '''Michael''' to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
 +
* (''old'') '''Mik''' to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
 +
* (''old'') '''Tools and Tech PMC's''' to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor
 +
* (''old'') '''Cedric, Tom''' talk to their PMCs about making AC representation official (can be 2 backup reps)
 +
* '''Martin''' to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
 +
* '''Martin''' to create AC bugzilla best practices page
 +
* '''Dave''' to add hyperlinks to that page
 +
* '''Mik''' to send E-Mail with "how to use bug reporting wizarrd" to ac mailing list
 +
* '''Linda''' to send E-Mail with screenshots of portal to define Wiki Navbar to the ac mailing list
  
 
== Next Meeting ==
 
== Next Meeting ==

Revision as of 12:27, 9 April 2009

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday April 9, 2009 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: (+1) 613.287.8000 (Ottawa and international) or
866.362.7064 (toll-free North America)
passcode 464440#

Contents

Attendees

  • Use the Doodle Attendance Tracking Poll to confirm attendance or send regrets for this meeting. See this message for how to use it. All AC Members are invited.
  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Gary Xue
DTP: Brian Fitzpatrick Linda Chan
DSDP: Doug Gaff Martin Oberhuber
Eclipse: Philippe Mulet Mike Wilson
Modeling: Richard Gronback Ed Merks
Cédric Brun
RT: Jeff McAffer Jochen Krause
Tom Watson
STP: Oisin Hurley Antoine Toulme
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
TPTP: Eugene Chan Oliver Cole
Joanna Kubasta
WTP: Tim deBoer Dave Carver
  • Signed-up: John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Boris Bokowski, David Carver, Eugene Chan, Linda Chan, Brian Fitzpatrick, Neil Hauge, Mik Kersten, Martin Oberhuber, Andrew Overholt, Antoine Toulme, Tom Watson, Mike Wilson
  • Regrets: Chris Aniszczyk, Oliver Cole, Tim deBoer, Sven Efftinge, Markus Knauer, Darin Swanson, Mark VandenBrink, Sebastian Voigt, Darin Wright,
  • No-Show: Doug Clarke, Adrian Colyer, Naci Dai, Bjorn Freeman-Benson, Doug Gaff, John Graham, Richard Gronback, Jochen Krause, Wenfeng Li, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Philippe Mulet, Doug Schaefer, Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl, Georg Schmidt, Karsten Schmidt, David Williams, Ed Merks, Mary Ruddy, Gunnar Wagenknecht

Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

New Topics

  • Boris - New Platform UI/Bug Triage - can we come up with a common Best Practice for bug triage?
    • AI Martin summarize recommendations on Wiki, Dave to add hyperlinks
  • Git for Committers - any news?
    • Egit in proposal phase, Doug Gaff put notes from EclipseCon Git BOF on the Wiki

Old items

  • Architecture Council/Meetings/API Deprecation 20080119 follow-up
    • Boris - thought experiments ("What ripple effects would it cause if EMF broke XX")
    • McQ: API Dep. is important in order to get innovation without busting existing projects
    • Need to get a Policy written down ... and eventually make that a must-do for the Train. For example
      • Say ahead of time that we intend to remove some function (that has been superseded)
      • Make sure that people can respond to that
      • Deprecate in release N --> Give 2 releases to get off
      • Proactively prove that it is possible to get off
    • When can e4 be on the release train? If anything is broken, we need to give 2 years before people can switch
    • Martin: soft deprecation ("not rercommended") vs hard deprecation ("strongly discouraged") : add a "best before" date to deprecation tag
    • Talking about a list of tags and their meaning
      • Work on recommendations right now, allow projects to use them
      • McQ thinks it only makes sense if the recommendation "has teeth" as a must-have
      • We won't be able to get it in as a must-have for 3.5, but start working on it and bring it up next call.
  • See also Architecture Council/Open Issues for overflow items that were not discussed
  • PMC Representation for Tools, WTP?
  • Mike/Bjorn on the AC?
  • News from the EMO and Councils ?

Action Items

  • (old) Martin to follow up with the m2eclipse and IAM projects regarding duplication
  • (old) Martin to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
  • (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
    • While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
  • (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
  • (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
  • (old) Tools and Tech PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor
  • (old) Cedric, Tom talk to their PMCs about making AC representation official (can be 2 backup reps)
  • Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • Martin to create AC bugzilla best practices page
  • Dave to add hyperlinks to that page
  • Mik to send E-Mail with "how to use bug reporting wizarrd" to ac mailing list
  • Linda to send E-Mail with screenshots of portal to define Wiki Navbar to the ac mailing list

Next Meeting