Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "Architecture Council/Meetings/April 8 2010"

(New page: {|border=1 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=4 | Meeting Title: | '''Architecture Council Monthly Meeting''' |- | Date & Time: | Thursday April 8, 2010 at [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclo...)
 
 
(10 intermediate revisions by 6 users not shown)
Line 16: Line 16:
 
{|border=1 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=1
 
{|border=1 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=1
 
| '''BIRT:'''
 
| '''BIRT:'''
| Wenfeng Li
+
| <strike>Wenfeng Li</strike>
| Gary Xue
+
| <strike>Gary Xue</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''DTP:'''
 
| '''DTP:'''
Line 33: Line 33:
 
| '''Modeling:'''
 
| '''Modeling:'''
 
| Ed Merks
 
| Ed Merks
| Cédric Brun<br/>Sven Efftinge
+
| <strike>Cédric Brun</strike><br/><strike>Sven Efftinge</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''RT:'''
 
| '''RT:'''
Line 40: Line 40:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''STP:'''
 
| '''STP:'''
| Antoine Toulme
+
| <strike>Antoine Toulme</strike>
| Oisin Hurley
+
| <strike>Oisin Hurley</strike>
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''Technology:'''
 
| '''Technology:'''
| Gunnar Wagenknecht
+
| <strike>Gunnar Wagenknecht</strike>
 
| Wayne Beaton
 
| Wayne Beaton
 
|-
 
|-
Line 52: Line 52:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''TPTP:'''
 
| '''TPTP:'''
| Eugene Chan
+
| <strike>Eugene Chan</strike>
| Joanna Kubasta (unofficial)
+
| <strike>Joanna Kubasta</strike> (unofficial)
 
|-
 
|-
 
| '''WTP:'''
 
| '''WTP:'''
| Tim deBoer
+
| <strike>Tim deBoer</strike>
 
| Dave Carver<br/>Neil Hauge
 
| Dave Carver<br/>Neil Hauge
 
|}
 
|}
  
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict)
+
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Mik Kersten (travelling), Markus Knauer (travelling)
  
 
<!--
 
<!--
* '''Signed-up:''' John Arthorne, Boris Bokowski, Eugene Chan, Linda Chan, Doug Clarke, Tim deBoer, Oisin Hurley, Andrew Overholt, Martin O, Brian Payton, Mary Ruddy, Doug Schaefer, Mike Wilson, Darin Wright
+
* '''Signed-up:''' Chris Aniszczyk, John Arthorne, Wayne Beaton, Boris Bokowski, Cédric Brun, Dave Carver, Eugene Chan, Linda Chan, Tim deBoer, Neil Hauge, Mik Kersten, Andrew Overholt, Martin O, Doug Schaefer, Tom Schindl, Mike Wilson, Darin Wright, Gary Xue
* '''Regrets:''' Wayne Beaton, Nick Boldt (phone problems), Cédric Brun (conflict), Dave Carver, Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Mik Kersten (conflict), Markus Knauer (travelling), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Ed Merks (travelling), Michael Scharf, Tom Schindl (travelling), Darin Swanson, Sebastian Voigt, Gunnar Wagenknecht (vacation), Tom Watson (travelling), Oliver Wolf
+
* '''Regrets:''' Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Darin Swanson (China time zone), Markus Knauer (travelling)
* '''No-Show:''' Chris Aniszczyk, Adrian Colyer, Sven Efftinge, Neil Hauge, Bernd Kolb, Jeff McAffer, Mike Milinkovich, Antoine Toulme, Dave Williams, Gary Xue
+
* '''No-Show:''' Nick Boldt, Doug Clarke, Oisin Hurley, Bernd Kolb, Jeff McAffer, Ed Merks, Mike Milinkovich, Brian Payton, Mary Ruddy, Michael Scharf, Antoine Toulme, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Tom Watson, Dave Williams, Oliver Wolf
* '''Pending Dormant:''' Adrian Colyer, Sven Efftinge
+
 
-->
 
-->
  
Line 73: Line 72:
  
 
=== Review of Last Meeting ===
 
=== Review of Last Meeting ===
* [[Architecture Council/Meetings/January 14 2010]]
+
* [[Architecture Council/Meetings/March 11 2010]]
* (''old'') '''Wayne''' to ask EclipseCon PC/Donald if we can get a room for e4 Hack-a-thon (migration, creating plug-ins, etc.)
+
 
* (''old'') '''Wayne''' to discuss "e4 ready" marketing campaign with Ian.
 
* (''old'') '''Wayne''' to discuss "e4 ready" marketing campaign with Ian.
* (''old'') '''Ed''' to tell Cloudsmith about {{bug|283745}} Maven
+
* [[Image:Ok_green.gif]] '''Ed''' to tell Cloudsmith about {{bug|283745}} Maven -> Idea is an aggregator to republish p2 as Maven
 +
** Dave W does not see this happening for Helios .. work in progress, people know what needs to be done
 
* (''old'') '''Martin''' to file bug for asking Mik hyperlink Wikitext / crowdsourcing Docs handbook on the [[Architecture Council/Top Ten Project Development Practices]] page
 
* (''old'') '''Martin''' to file bug for asking Mik hyperlink Wikitext / crowdsourcing Docs handbook on the [[Architecture Council/Top Ten Project Development Practices]] page
 
* '''Tim''' write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
 
* '''Tim''' write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
Line 84: Line 83:
  
 
* Tom S '''Common Builder Cookbook?'''
 
* Tom S '''Common Builder Cookbook?'''
* Chris A: Shortening the new committer process? Eg Orbit requires 7 days... '''AI Martin/Wayne''' schedule for next call
+
** been on vacation, still on the list
  
==== e4 - current state of affairs ====
+
* Chris A: {{bug|305544}} '''Shortening the new committer process'''? Eg Orbit requires 7 days
 +
** Wayne: Essence of the bug is allowing PMC's to shorten the new committer process
 +
** Martin: Do some "parallel IP" like thing eg allow repository access immediately but have the full
 +
** Tom: More in favor of reducing time rather than adding more complexity
 +
** Dave C: Provisioning / Paperwork is often more time than getting the voting done
 +
** Jeff: Wants to keep 1 week voting, but still make it faster allow people to commit code
 +
** Wayne: Start paperwork process at the time of nomination in parallel to voting
 +
** '''Resolution:''' continue discussion on the bug, Wayne to talk to IP team / Webmaster
  
 +
* Jeff: '''Structuring of SDK, runtime and tooling''' features: '''meeting your consumer's needs.'''
 +
** In RT, a number of projects ship runtimes + sources + tooling, these are often lumped together e.g. target platform as part of the tooling.
 +
** Proposal: EclipseRT projects (including EMF, GEF, ...) to contribute features to show up in the Helios category for "Target Platforms"
 +
** Introducing some guidelines for doing this ... talked about this on RT PMC
 +
** Antoine: Going to create an RT download?
 +
*** Jeff: yes, but challenge is what is it and how is it positioned? Stack or Demo App? - Similar problem like RCP download, which doesn't run by itself.
 +
*** There's tons of possibilities, what to pick? More than 3 packages is probably too much
 +
*** Jeff invites interested parties to participate on the '''RT PMC Mailinglist Discussion''' join conversation about guidelines, packages etc
 +
*** Discussion focused "what are the boxes"
 +
 +
* Martin: '''New AC Members Process'''
 +
** (a) the process: published Wiki criteria for ac members, phonecall nomination, then mailinglist discussion
 +
** (b) nominating people into the AC vs creating workgroups for jobs to be done - people agree that AC membership is more than just "work to be done"
 +
** (c) Kim and Kenn are approved -> '''AI Martin''' follow up with Mike to check paperwork
 +
** (d) How the process is documented on the Wiki -- John: Main landing page should link to documents like that; Categories are useful, add AC Category to Process -- '''AI Martin''' revise the Wiki
 +
 +
* Antoine T.: discuss '''new TLP for languages''' http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/eclipse.org-architecture-council/msg01272.html
 +
** Dave C agrees; Jeff: Board needs to approve TLP's - Board will want a very clear scope; '''AI Antoine''' file a bug for asking Community input
 +
** Jeff, Wayne - people interested in languages should perhaps just take over the Tools PMC.
 +
** Perhaps there isn't much coherence and discussion required in Tools? - In RT there is much more common goals
 +
** Wayne: Why is it hard to get any response about tools related questions? - Doug S: There is nobody with a vetted interest
 +
** Wayne: A new TLP doesn't make a Community magically appear... Community must be developed; Jeff: Structure is not going to fix the Problem.
 +
** Dave C: Concept of Tools needs a review - it's just a dumping ground now
 +
** Merge into '''Tools and Technology''' to have ONE dumping ground?
 +
** Dave C: "Eclipse Labs Project" .. Wayne: Eclipse Labs is a different way of getting into the Eclipse Community
 +
** Jeff: Historically, Tools and Tech were separate in order to clearly indicate to consumers the state of a project
 +
*** Doug S: Consumers don't go to the TLP pages, they go right to the area they are interested in
 +
*** '''AI Wayne''' file a bug for further discussion
 +
 +
'''Overflow items not yet discussed'''
 +
 +
* Antoine T.: discuss Technology project lifecycle http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/eclipse.org-architecture-council/msg01272.html
 +
* Antoine T.: discuss PMC organization and approval lags http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/eclipse.org-architecture-council/msg01272.html
 +
* Martin: AC Calendar / Scheduling
 +
* Martin: Follow-up action items from Eclipsecon Breakfast
 +
 +
==== e4 - current state of affairs ====
  
 
=== Items for next meeting ===
 
=== Items for next meeting ===

Latest revision as of 11:04, 8 April 2010

Meeting Title: Architecture Council Monthly Meeting
Date & Time: Thursday April 8, 2010 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change
Html.gifHTML | Ical.gifiCal
Dial-in: NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063

Attendees

All AC Members are invited.

  • PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
BIRT: Wenfeng Li Gary Xue
DTP: Brian Payton Linda Chan
DSDP: Martin Oberhuber TBD (DSDP-PMC)
Eclipse: Mike Wilson John Arthorne
Boris Bokowski
Modeling: Ed Merks Cédric Brun
Sven Efftinge
RT: Jeff McAffer Tom Watson
STP: Antoine Toulme Oisin Hurley
Technology: Gunnar Wagenknecht Wayne Beaton
Tools: Doug Schaefer
TPTP: Eugene Chan Joanna Kubasta (unofficial)
WTP: Tim deBoer Dave Carver
Neil Hauge
  • Regrets: Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Mik Kersten (travelling), Markus Knauer (travelling)


Agenda / Notes

  • Feel free to edit, but not during the call!

Review of Last Meeting

New Topics

  • Tom S Common Builder Cookbook?
    • been on vacation, still on the list
  • Chris A: bug 305544 Shortening the new committer process? Eg Orbit requires 7 days
    • Wayne: Essence of the bug is allowing PMC's to shorten the new committer process
    • Martin: Do some "parallel IP" like thing eg allow repository access immediately but have the full
    • Tom: More in favor of reducing time rather than adding more complexity
    • Dave C: Provisioning / Paperwork is often more time than getting the voting done
    • Jeff: Wants to keep 1 week voting, but still make it faster allow people to commit code
    • Wayne: Start paperwork process at the time of nomination in parallel to voting
    • Resolution: continue discussion on the bug, Wayne to talk to IP team / Webmaster
  • Jeff: Structuring of SDK, runtime and tooling features: meeting your consumer's needs.
    • In RT, a number of projects ship runtimes + sources + tooling, these are often lumped together e.g. target platform as part of the tooling.
    • Proposal: EclipseRT projects (including EMF, GEF, ...) to contribute features to show up in the Helios category for "Target Platforms"
    • Introducing some guidelines for doing this ... talked about this on RT PMC
    • Antoine: Going to create an RT download?
      • Jeff: yes, but challenge is what is it and how is it positioned? Stack or Demo App? - Similar problem like RCP download, which doesn't run by itself.
      • There's tons of possibilities, what to pick? More than 3 packages is probably too much
      • Jeff invites interested parties to participate on the RT PMC Mailinglist Discussion join conversation about guidelines, packages etc
      • Discussion focused "what are the boxes"
  • Martin: New AC Members Process
    • (a) the process: published Wiki criteria for ac members, phonecall nomination, then mailinglist discussion
    • (b) nominating people into the AC vs creating workgroups for jobs to be done - people agree that AC membership is more than just "work to be done"
    • (c) Kim and Kenn are approved -> AI Martin follow up with Mike to check paperwork
    • (d) How the process is documented on the Wiki -- John: Main landing page should link to documents like that; Categories are useful, add AC Category to Process -- AI Martin revise the Wiki
  • Antoine T.: discuss new TLP for languages http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/eclipse.org-architecture-council/msg01272.html
    • Dave C agrees; Jeff: Board needs to approve TLP's - Board will want a very clear scope; AI Antoine file a bug for asking Community input
    • Jeff, Wayne - people interested in languages should perhaps just take over the Tools PMC.
    • Perhaps there isn't much coherence and discussion required in Tools? - In RT there is much more common goals
    • Wayne: Why is it hard to get any response about tools related questions? - Doug S: There is nobody with a vetted interest
    • Wayne: A new TLP doesn't make a Community magically appear... Community must be developed; Jeff: Structure is not going to fix the Problem.
    • Dave C: Concept of Tools needs a review - it's just a dumping ground now
    • Merge into Tools and Technology to have ONE dumping ground?
    • Dave C: "Eclipse Labs Project" .. Wayne: Eclipse Labs is a different way of getting into the Eclipse Community
    • Jeff: Historically, Tools and Tech were separate in order to clearly indicate to consumers the state of a project
      • Doug S: Consumers don't go to the TLP pages, they go right to the area they are interested in
      • AI Wayne file a bug for further discussion

Overflow items not yet discussed

e4 - current state of affairs

Items for next meeting

Regular briefing on the status of e4.

Old Topics

We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:

  • DaveC would like to discuss New Committer Guidelines; Scrum / Agile techniques
  • bug 285074 - Dave Carver - Hudsonbuilder and write access to the cvs / svn repo
  • bug 283745 - Maven Repository at Eclipse
  • bug 288393 - Denis - Bugzilla Best Practices
  • The art of project release naming - no bug yet ?!?

Action Items

  • (old) Martin to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
  • (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
    • While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
  • (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
  • (old) Tools and Tech PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor; mentorless projects due to AC members quitting or falling dormant
  • (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
  • (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
  • (old) Dave C work with Wayne on a "handbook" for project criteria for becoming a committer (referencing committer guidelines)
  • (old) Dave C come up with a document how to save build resources
  • (old) Dave C to try bugzilla UNCONFIRMED state
  • (old) Wayne to ask Sonatype about Nexus test installation
  • (old) Wayne to try doing a 3.6m2 API Report on Helios m2

Next Meeting