Architecture Council/Meetings/April 8 2010
|Meeting Title:||Architecture Council Monthly Meeting|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday April 8, 2010 at 1500 UTC / 0800 SFO / 1100 Ottawa / 1600 London / 1700 Berlin attention DST change|
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| NEW Canada 1-877-727-8553 toll free / 1-416-840-9801 caller paid|
NEW U.S. 1-866-394-4146 toll free / 1-480-629-1624 caller paid
NEW passcode 428029063
All AC Members are invited.
- PMC Reps please confirm attendance or list your delegate below. Every PMC is required to name a primary and backup delegate, and to ensure that one delegate attends the meeting.
|DTP:||Brian Payton||Linda Chan|
|DSDP:||Martin Oberhuber||TBD (DSDP-PMC)|
|Eclipse:||Mike Wilson|| John Arthorne|
|Modeling:||Ed Merks|| |
|RT:||Jeff McAffer||Tom Watson|
|| Dave Carver|
- Regrets: Oliver Cole (standing conflict), Wenfeng Li (standing conflict), Mik Kersten (travelling), Markus Knauer (travelling)
Agenda / Notes
- Feel free to edit, but not during the call!
Review of Last Meeting
- Architecture Council/Meetings/March 11 2010
- (old) Wayne to discuss "e4 ready" marketing campaign with Ian.
- Ed to tell Cloudsmith about bug 283745 Maven -> Idea is an aggregator to republish p2 as Maven
- Dave W does not see this happening for Helios .. work in progress, people know what needs to be done
- (old) Martin to file bug for asking Mik hyperlink Wikitext / crowdsourcing Docs handbook on the Architecture Council/Top Ten Project Development Practices page
- Tim write up an initial wiki page with information for people to standardize on the tracing API
- Still open items moved to #Action Items
- Tom S Common Builder Cookbook?
- been on vacation, still on the list
- Chris A: bug 305544 Shortening the new committer process? Eg Orbit requires 7 days
- Wayne: Essence of the bug is allowing PMC's to shorten the new committer process
- Martin: Do some "parallel IP" like thing eg allow repository access immediately but have the full
- Tom: More in favor of reducing time rather than adding more complexity
- Dave C: Provisioning / Paperwork is often more time than getting the voting done
- Jeff: Wants to keep 1 week voting, but still make it faster allow people to commit code
- Wayne: Start paperwork process at the time of nomination in parallel to voting
- Resolution: continue discussion on the bug, Wayne to talk to IP team / Webmaster
- Jeff: Structuring of SDK, runtime and tooling features: meeting your consumer's needs.
- In RT, a number of projects ship runtimes + sources + tooling, these are often lumped together e.g. target platform as part of the tooling.
- Proposal: EclipseRT projects (including EMF, GEF, ...) to contribute features to show up in the Helios category for "Target Platforms"
- Introducing some guidelines for doing this ... talked about this on RT PMC
- Antoine: Going to create an RT download?
- Jeff: yes, but challenge is what is it and how is it positioned? Stack or Demo App? - Similar problem like RCP download, which doesn't run by itself.
- There's tons of possibilities, what to pick? More than 3 packages is probably too much
- Jeff invites interested parties to participate on the RT PMC Mailinglist Discussion join conversation about guidelines, packages etc
- Discussion focused "what are the boxes"
- Martin: New AC Members Process
- (a) the process: published Wiki criteria for ac members, phonecall nomination, then mailinglist discussion
- (b) nominating people into the AC vs creating workgroups for jobs to be done - people agree that AC membership is more than just "work to be done"
- (c) Kim and Kenn are approved -> AI Martin follow up with Mike to check paperwork
- (d) How the process is documented on the Wiki -- John: Main landing page should link to documents like that; Categories are useful, add AC Category to Process -- AI Martin revise the Wiki
- Antoine T.: discuss new TLP for languages http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/eclipse.org-architecture-council/msg01272.html
- Dave C agrees; Jeff: Board needs to approve TLP's - Board will want a very clear scope; AI Antoine file a bug for asking Community input
- Jeff, Wayne - people interested in languages should perhaps just take over the Tools PMC.
- Perhaps there isn't much coherence and discussion required in Tools? - In RT there is much more common goals
- Wayne: Why is it hard to get any response about tools related questions? - Doug S: There is nobody with a vetted interest
- Wayne: A new TLP doesn't make a Community magically appear... Community must be developed; Jeff: Structure is not going to fix the Problem.
- Dave C: Concept of Tools needs a review - it's just a dumping ground now
- Merge into Tools and Technology to have ONE dumping ground?
- Dave C: "Eclipse Labs Project" .. Wayne: Eclipse Labs is a different way of getting into the Eclipse Community
- Jeff: Historically, Tools and Tech were separate in order to clearly indicate to consumers the state of a project
- Doug S: Consumers don't go to the TLP pages, they go right to the area they are interested in
- AI Wayne file a bug for further discussion
Overflow items not yet discussed
- Antoine T.: discuss Technology project lifecycle http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/eclipse.org-architecture-council/msg01272.html
- Antoine T.: discuss PMC organization and approval lags http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/eclipse.org-architecture-council/msg01272.html
- Martin: AC Calendar / Scheduling
- Martin: Follow-up action items from Eclipsecon Breakfast
e4 - current state of affairs
Items for next meeting
Regular briefing on the status of e4.
We need to reduce our bug backlog, by actually coming to a common resolution on some. Here are the most recent ones:
- DaveC would like to discuss New Committer Guidelines; Scrum / Agile techniques
- bug 285074 - Dave Carver - Hudsonbuilder and write access to the cvs / svn repo
- bug 283745 - Maven Repository at Eclipse
- bug 288393 - Denis - Bugzilla Best Practices
- The art of project release naming - no bug yet ?!?
- AC Bugzilla backlog
- See also Architecture Council/Open Issues for overflow items that were not discussed
- News from the EMO and Councils ?
- (old) Martin to follow up on Architecture Diagrams idea
- (old) Michael to flesh out the Patterns idea and remind the EAC -- started Architecture Council/Top Ten Recommendations#Design Patterns, backed by EclipseCon tutorial proposals
- While these show how well-known GoF patterns are applied in Eclipse, Michael's idea was more to find and describe new patterns which are specific to Eclipse
- (old) Michael to draft an E-Mail about the "plugin granularity" idea, searching for people to lead the effort
- (old) Tools and Tech PMC's to encourage incubating grandfathered projects find a mentor; mentorless projects due to AC members quitting or falling dormant
- (old) Martin to add Eclipsecon meeting notes onto the wiki
- (old) Mik to create initial "architectural walkthrough" material for Mylyn -- 1 wiki page not too large, send link to the mailing list
- (old) Dave C work with Wayne on a "handbook" for project criteria for becoming a committer (referencing committer guidelines)
- (old) Dave C come up with a document how to save build resources
- (old) Dave C to try bugzilla UNCONFIRMED state
- (old) Wayne to ask Sonatype about Nexus test installation
- (old) Wayne to try doing a 3.6m2 API Report on Helios m2
- Architecture Council/Meetings/May 13 2010