Architecture Council/Meetings/API Deprecation 20080119
< Architecture Council | Meetings
Revision as of 11:20, 19 January 2009 by Mober.at+eclipse.gmail.com (Architecture Council/Minutes API Deprecation 20080122 moved to Architecture Council/Meetings/API Deprecation 20080119: Meeting time changed)
|Meeting Title:||AC Call on API Deprecation|
|Date & Time:|| Thursday January 22, 2009 at 1700 UTC / 0900 SFO / 1200 Ottawa / 1800 Berlin|
HTML | iCal
|Dial-in:|| (+1) 613.287.8000 (Ottawa and international) or|
866.362.7064 (toll-free North America)
- Doodle Poll for scheduling
- See Architecture Council/Minutes January 15 2009#New Topics for previous discussions
- Part of the larger story on Eclipse Adoption.
- Goal is to
- Define the questions that we'd like to get answered
- come up with enough agreement to create initial rules / guidelines for review
- Eclipse APIs become ever more complicated and duplicated, making it harder and harder to understand.
- For e4 at least, we should make it simpler to code against Eclipse. We should get rid of unnecessary burden to make ourselves ready for the future.
- Consider other technologies:
- Deprecation in Java
- Evolution of glibc
- Should the deprecation rules be the same for all projects, or different from project to project?
- By what channels can the Community be informed about deprecating API?
- How long does deprecated API need to stay around? Does it depend from case to case?