Architecture Council/Dormant Status
The Architecture Council is comprised by a very big number of people, not all of which are participating with the same amount of dedication and energy. In order to keep our meeting and voting processes functional, we define a dormant status for members as follows:
- The "EAC Member (dormant)" status is different than the Committer Emeritus status. Dormant members retain their full right to take part in the AC (because they represent a Strategic Member Company or a PMC, or have been appointed but don't currently have time), but we're tracking the fact that they are currently not active. Dormant members get separately listed on the members and mentors page, as well as the councils page pending technical feasibility.
- Members enter the dormant status after 3 months of inactivity (counting meeting attendance, mailing list and bugzilla submissions, and responsiveness to group action items agreed on by the EAC), or at their personal request (such as a person taking a sabbatical, for instance).
- Meeting attendance and mailing list activity will be tracked manually, until better tooling is available. Members will be informed by private E-Mail (based on an E-Mail template) when they are about to move to the dormant status. Members can veto that change (since this would show a sign of activity) and argue why they think they are active. They can also return from dormant status at any time at their request (by E-Mail to the mailing list). PMC representatives and Strategic Members are informed that they can designate a different person to represent their respective bodies as per the Bylaws.
- Since a dormant member is not considered as well-informed and plugged-in to the Community as a mentor should be, any project(s) currently being mentored by the member entering dormant status are asked whether they'd like to pick a different mentor. Actually changing mentors, however, is at the project's disposal.
- The goal of the dormant status is to streamline the operation of active members. Therefore, dormant members are not asked for a suitable time when scheduling meetings, and are not waited for in a vote. This means, that in case all active members have voted on a topic before the official 1-week voting period is over, the vote is considered complete. For the sake of computing a simple majority, dormant members who have not voted are not considered.
- For appointed members, we will ask them to resign or request the Executive Director to remove them after 1 year in the dormant status (members representing a strategic member, or PMC can not be removed).