Here is what the Bylaws of the Eclipse Foundation (2008-07-24) say about the Architecture Council on page 17:
Section 7.2 Architecture Council. The Eclipse Management Organization shall establish an Architecture Council responsible for the development, articulation, and maintenance of the Eclipse Platform Architecture (as defined in the then current Eclipse Development Process). The Architecture Council shall be comprised of
- one (1) representative designated by each Project Management Committee and
- other individuals as described below or designated from time to time by the Executive Director,
- and shall be chaired by a person designated by the Executive Director.
- Strategic Consumer Members as a group are entitled to designate one (1) representative on the Architecture Council, to be selected by a vote of all Strategic Consumer Members.
- Any Strategic Consumer Member that is not leading a PMC, and has eight (8) or more developers assigned to work full-time on Eclipse Platform development projects is entitled to designate one (1) representative to the Architecture Council unless an employee, officer, director, or consultant of the Member has already been appointed to the Council.
- Any Strategic Developer Member that is not leading a PMC is entitled to designate one (1) representative to the Architecture Council unless an employee, officer, director, or consultant of the Member has already been appointed to the Council.
The Architecture Council will accomplish its objectives by working closely with the development teams.