- From the Eclipse Bylaws section 7.2: "responsible for the development, articulation, and maintenance of the Eclipse Platform Architecture" (as defined in the then current Eclipse Development Process).
- From the Development Process: "... and ensuring the Principles of the Development Process through mentorship."
The EAC is responsible for the long-term technical health of the Eclipse platforms and frameworks. It involves itself in inter- and intra-project architecture and open source process through discussion during its meetings, mentoring and consultation. The AC is involved in both technical and process aspects because the social and process structure of a project has been shown to have a direct impact on the technical quality of its extensible frameworks and exemplary tools. See also Darin Swanson's Blog about the EAC. This role for the Architecture Council represents a new (revitalized?) role for the Architecture Council and thus there is not a lot of history to build on. The Council will be as effective and useful as we make it. Here is a recent presentation (PDF, 120K) about what the AC is and what it does in practice.
- Architecture Council/Membership Qualifications for members, and how to become a member
- The councils page has the official members list
- The Members and Mentors includes information about dormant members and proposed mentors of new projects
Discussions and Recommendations
- Top Ten Recommendations for Architecture (work in progress)
- Top Ten Process Practices (work in progress)
- Things Committers Should Know
- Development Resources, top advice for everyone including Community Development for Eclipse Projects
- Performance Bloopers
- Links Collection to architecture-related interesting blog posts, articles and the like
- Bugs on the AC component, or CC'd to the EAC
- Architecture Council/Open Issues lists overflow topics that have been brought up but not yet been discussed
EAC conference calls are every month on the second Thursday at 8am Pacific, 11am Eastern, 5pm European time. A reminder email will be sent to the list in advance of the calls. The call-in number is on each Agenda page (usually the standard Eclipse Foundation Conference Bridge for Project Reviews, as per the MyFoundation Portal page).
Resources (from the "old" EAC for now)
- EAC Mailing List Archives
- Eclipse (EMO) Architecture Council Index