Jump to: navigation, search

Planning Council/March 04 2015

Logistics

Meeting Title: Planning Council Conference Call
Date & Time: Wednesday, March 4, 2015, at 1200 Noon Eastern
Dial in: (See Asterisk service for complete details on SIP, potential new numbers, phone mute commands, etc.)

Phone Numbers: (Check Asterisk/Numbers for more or current phone numbers.)

For all phone lines: Participant conference extension: 710 then enter pin 35498
  • Ottawa (local call in Ottawa) 1-613-454-1403
  • North America (toll free) 1-866-569-4992
  • Germany (local call anywhere in Germany) +49-692-2224-6059
  • France (local call anywhere in France) +33-17-070-8535
  • UK (toll free) 0800-033-7806
  • Switzerland (local call anywhere in Switzerland) +41-44-580-2115
  • SIP clients:
call 710@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 35498.

Members and Attendees

PMC (and Strategic) Reps
Chris Aniszczyk Technology (PMC) Y
Dani Megert Eclipse (PMC) Y
Steffen Pingel Mylyn (ALM) PMC
Brian Payton Datatools (PMC) Y
Doug Schaefer Tools (PMC) Y
Adrian Mos (Marc Dutoo ) SOA (PMC)
Ed Merks Modeling (PMC)
Ian Bull Rt (PMC) Y
Chuck Bridgham WTP (PMC) R
Wayne Beaton Eclipse Foundation (appointed) Y
David Williams (appointed Chair) Y
Strategic Reps
Cedric Brun OBEO (Strategic Developer)
Neil Hauge Oracle (Strategic Developer) Y
Stephan Merker SAP AG (Strategic Developer) Y
Markus Knauer Innoopract (Strategic Developer) R
Rajeev Dayal Google (Strategic Developer)
(PMC rep) Actuate (Strategic Developer) X
(PMC rep) IBM (Strategic Developer) X
Inactive
[no name] CA Inc. (Strategic Consumer) X
[no name] Birt (PMC) X

Note: "Inactive" refers to Strategic Members or PMCs we have not heard from for a while, and have been unable to convince to participate. Those members can become active again at any time. Contact David Williams if questions.

Note: feel free to correct any errors/omissions in above attendance record.
Y = Yes, attended
N = No, did not
R = regrets sent ahead of time
D = delegated
X = not expected

Announcements

  • bug 453927 - Naming Mars+1 (2016 Eclipse Simultaneous Release)
    • 'Neptune' and 'Nova' and 'Neo' are dead in the water due to trademarks; Took a new poll of remaining "N-words".
Decision was made to "start over", on accelerated cycle, expanding "letters" to "O and P" in addition to "N", and then having voting at "EclipseCon".
We would try to "vet" the names a little better ourselves ... at least a web-search to see if the name of any other "software product".
Will also including asking community about using "numbers". Seemed the consensus of Planning Council was to use "Year" such as "16" for "2016 June Release" (as a "backup plan") but wasn't that clear on what to do with "Service Releases" ... especially since they are not strictly "Service Releases" as they used to be. One alternative was to use "year and month", such as 16.6, 16.9, but that would make the second "service release" be 17.2 (which, sounds confusing, since sounded like a "major release") so, presumably, if we go the "numbered route", we'd stick with "16" (for 16.0) and then 16.1, 16.2, etc.
The notion of using "years of Eclipse" or "years of Simultaneous Release" (especially the former) was thought to be confusing since could be confused with "year", such as 2016 will be release "15" of Eclipse (which started in 2001).
There was concern expressed (by me :) for full disclosure) about continuing 'the naming process' as we do, since by definition it gravitates towards "popular names" which are the ones most likely to lead to "legal issues". (So, IMHO, we need to be prepared to change the process? Or, use a numbering system?)
Was also suggested to get more guidance from "lawyers", but in the end, does not seem they could give that much guidance, at least in an economical way.
An interesting observation was made that going "the numbered route" sounded more "product-like" than the clever "code names" which sounds more "open source community like" ... but, admittedly, that's not necessarily a bad thing.


Previous meeting minutes

Luna SR2

  • Congratulations!
  • Any thing to document in retrospect?

Mars Planning

Wayne reports that focus will likely change on an improved presentation of "Eclipse Projects" in the "Market Place Client". bug 460564
  • Moving "Sim Release Aggregation" to "HIPP Instance". (I hope in time for M6) (dw)
- Besides being "HIPP" jobs will be restructured to have a "validation-only job", a "build with cache" job, and (still) a "clean build") job.

Progress on Action Items

  • Improve "aggregator examples/doc". (dw -- in progress).

New Business

Next Meeting

  • April 1, 2015 - No Fooling! Regular First Wednesday Meeting.

Reference

2013 EclipseCon face-to-face follow-through action items. For original meeting notes, see Planning_Council/March_24_2013 and for discussion leading to action items, see Planning_Council/April_10_2013. For last status update, see Planning_Council/May_8_2013.
Luna Wiki page
Kepler Wiki page
Planning Council/Kepler retrospective
Planning Council Members
Simultaneous Release Roles and Simultaneous Release Roles/EMO