Jump to: navigation, search

Planning Council/December 03 2014

Logistics

Meeting Title: Planning Council Conference Call
Date & Time: Wednesday, December 3, 2014, at 1200 Noon Eastern
Dial in: (See Asterisk service for complete details on SIP, potential new numbers, phone mute commands, etc.)

Phone Numbers: (Check Asterisk/Numbers for more or current phone numbers.)

For all phone lines: Participant conference extension: 710 then enter pin 35498
  • Ottawa (local call in Ottawa) 1-613-454-1403
  • North America (toll free) 1-866-569-4992
  • Germany (local call anywhere in Germany) +49-692-2224-6059
  • France (local call anywhere in France) +33-17-070-8535
  • UK (toll free) 0800-033-7806
  • Switzerland (local call anywhere in Switzerland) +41-44-580-2115
  • SIP clients:
call 710@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 35498.

Members and Attendees

PMC (and Strategic) Reps
Chris Aniszczyk Technology (PMC) Y
Dani Megert Eclipse (PMC) Y
Steffen Pingel Mylyn (ALM) PMC
Brian Payton Datatools (PMC)
Doug Schaefer Tools (PMC) Y
Adrian Mos (Marc Dutoo ) SOA (PMC)
Ed Merks Modeling (PMC)
Ian Bull Rt (PMC) Y
Chuck Bridgham WTP (PMC) Y
Wayne Beaton Eclipse Foundation (appointed) Y
David Williams (appointed Chair) Y
Strategic Reps
Cedric Brun OBEO (Strategic Developer)
Neil Hauge Oracle (Strategic Developer) Y
Stephan Merker SAP AG (Strategic Developer) Y
Markus Knauer Innoopract (Strategic Developer)
Rajeev Dayal Google (Strategic Developer)
(PMC rep) Actuate (Strategic Developer) X
(PMC rep) IBM (Strategic Developer) X
Inactive
[no name] CA Inc. (Strategic Consumer) X
[no name] Birt (PMC) X

Note: "Inactive" refers to Strategic Members or PMCs we have not heard from for a while, and have been unable to convince to participate. Those members can become active again at any time. Contact David Williams if questions.

Note: feel free to correct any errors/omissions in above attendance record.
Y = Yes, attended
N = No, did not
R = regrets sent ahead of time
D = delegated
X = not expected

Announcements

  • Thanks goes to Chris for staring the yearly "name that release" process:
bug 453927 - Naming Mars+1 (2016 Eclipse Simultaneous Release)
  •  ?

Previous meeting minutes

Luna SR2

  • Any issues?
  • Should we change "signing certificate" as soon as possible? Or wait until right after Luna ships? Please see bug 450783.
The issue is that there are cases, usually not related to the "IDE", where Java checks that "split packages" were signed by "same certificate", and it is unclear exactly what counts as "same certificate". According to Denis, it is the "same certificate", just "resigned and re-keyed". But, I would not be surprised if Java doesn't count that as "different".
Ian reminded us that if certificate is changed, but nothing else, then many projects will continue to use "old, previously signed bundle", since the qualifier did not change, and normally no harm in that (since they have TSA timestamp) but if the goal is to "find all problematic cases" and "touch them" so their qualifier changes, then Luna SR2 is not a good time to do that. Too little time, resources, etc. and starting to get close to "rampdown" for Luna SR2, and most desire to "keep changes to a minimum, for maintenance stream ... so, would be better to change after Luna SR2 so even if there are issues in Mars stream (due to this same-qualifier principle) then they will likely be found "naturally" over the last few months of Mars, instead of needing any sort of last minute "fire drill".
  • A different signing issue: I suspect there is some risk that the "signing of Mac executable" will not be working for SR2. Any business impact?
bug 445050 - Need to update "Mac signing service"
bug 446390 - Change location of eclipse.ini (for Max OS X signing)

Mars Planning

Ready to consider these final?
No issues, so considered final.
  • Categories for Sim. Release Repo: Any comments/objections to adding a category as described in bug 451241?
A few voiced concern over the state of the categories as a whole. And Wayne volunteered to "take a step back", look at them holistically, think about the purpose and audience they are to serve, and come up with a proposal -- by our January meeting.
I'll capture the work in progress here: SimRel/Feature Categories -- Wayne

Progress on Action Items

  • Prune "callisto-dev" group soon bug 450186. nearly done.
  • Improve "aggregator examples/doc". (dw -- no progress).

New Business

  •  ?

Next Meeting

  • January 7, 2015 - Regular First Wednesday Meeting.

Reference

2013 EclipseCon face-to-face follow-through action items. For original meeting notes, see Planning_Council/March_24_2013 and for discussion leading to action items, see Planning_Council/April_10_2013. For last status update, see Planning_Council/May_8_2013.
Luna Wiki page
Kepler Wiki page
Planning Council/Kepler retrospective
Planning Council Members
Simultaneous Release Roles and Simultaneous Release Roles/EMO