Monitoring User Interface use cases
Started some general brainstorming about the Monitor UI component of COSMOS. Started off with a general set of questions to help flush out the requirements.
Monitoring UI Workgroup: Meeting Minutes
- The Monitor UI is primarily a reporting user interface on top of the aggregated and normalized collected data for the purpose of health monitoring.
- The User Interface needs to be "model aware", understand the thing it's monitoring (SML)
- What reports to provide?
- What templates should we provided?
- What report libraries should be provided?
- “Auto update” on reports, e.g. refresh the view every “n” seconds/minutes?
- Support the idea of “drill down” reporting or only top level?
- What about linking/referencing external information from reports, e.g. to a run book? Could be an extension point of some sort?
- Simplified view for levels of sensitivity, e.g. a “sensitivity” filter. Response time may be an example where this would be appropriate.
- JDBC and/or XML data sources?
- What about login/security? JDBC connection only?
- Ad hoc reporting
- How do we expect these reports to be consumed by other management applications, e.g. re-use in commercial applications?
Use Case 1: Check the health of a resource
In this use case, the user would run a canned report that looks at the health of a particular resource. The report should have some saved parameters that can applied, e.g. show me all the servers where CPU utilization if above 80%. The 80% should be customizable.
The System Admin can quickly determine and evaluate the health of the system by studying a generated report. This information will help resolve issues such as service disruption and performance, and help determine what priority to place on the problem.
- The report the System Admin is executing has been pre-built.
- The report is deployed as a web application and can be accessed through a well known URL
- The System Admin opens the url associated with a pre-defined report
- When prompted, the System Admin enters the report parameters
Use Case 2: Test/Debug resource instrumentation