Linux Packaging Tasks
This page contains a list of packaging tasks need some love. Feel free to add tasks for your own distro, creating common tasks where appropriate.
- Create an Extension Point to the JDT for contributing source foramatting configurations. This would allow the various linux distros to include GNU formatting conventions without the need for patches.
- Investigate and create a way for src zips to be automatically attached to external jars when they are added to the build path of a project. These src zips are useful for debugging and browsing the source of these external jars. See this thread for some more information: https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-java-list/2006-November/msg00023.html
- get update site in homedir patch applied to Eclipse https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=90630
- specfile template generator application. Andrew Overholt has started working on this but if you would like to help, feel free to contact him.
- update package build for 3.2 and see if we can automatically build native code with it. Ben Konrath is planning to do this but feel free to contact him if you'd like to help.
- build cairo JNI bits
- see this patch we carried in Fedora Core 5
- we think the above patch may be an incorrect approach for getting it upstream, but it's a starting point
- Investigate why plugins cannot be built if they are already installed on the build system. In Fedora, we use a shell script to copy over the SDK and required plugins without copying the plugin that is being built.
- Get an upstream source for the FileInitializer
- Investigate support for building native code as part of pde.build
- see patches in https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=71637
- also, see Ben's proposed solution (which may need some updating) here
- example: right now in Fedora, we carry a patch to build liblocalfile and libupdate in the main SDK build.xml
- get rid of cyclic build dependency between icu4j Eclipse plugins and the Eclipse SDK
- need to file bug
- Ben: update and submit package build for upstream inclusion
- investigate building of swttools.jar during SDK build
- investigate building of launcher. Why unzip launchersrc.zip? This makes us have to unzip, patch, and re-zip.
- make a patch to not redirect javadoc generation output to .txt files (rather than what Fedora (and others?) does with sed lines)
- conventions for tagging distribution specific bug reports
- Fix the various TODOs on the FHS_Compliant_Packages page
- Fix bug #162798
- It would be nice if the launcher source zip could be removed from org.eclipse.platform.source_3.2.1 or the patch could be made in such a way that it would not produce arch-dependent source code. This might not be possible.
- Investigate why the resources in the icu4j plugin are generated differently on different architectures. If the icu4j build is removed from the Eclipse package and Eclipse merely requires the icu4j plugins, this shouldn't be a problem anymore.
- Investigate why the HTML is generated differently on different architectures by gjdoc in org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv_3.2.1.
- Investigate why WEB-INF/web.xml is generated differently on different architectures in org.eclipse.help.webapp_3.2.1.
- Investigate http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/rpms/eclipse/devel/eclipse-ecj-rpmdebuginfo.patch for getEnv changes in the JDK.
- Investigate why Fedora doesn't build ant-apache-bsf. When it does, add it to the BuildRequires and symlink sections.
- Help out with the various Fedora Eclipse bugs
- Move the OSGi-ified jsch manifest to the jsch jar. Will upstream take this?