LargeEMFModels is a proposed open source component in the Eclipse Modeling Framework Technology (EMFT) project whose goal is to improve EMF's behavior when working with large models, large numbers of concurrent users or large numbers metamodels, potentially under different ownership domains, and a variety of tools for these models. This component will provide a large model as well as APIs to query, manipulate, store and process it. Form the experiences made when working on this model, this project will try to help make EMF more scalable for such kind of scenarios.
This proposal is in the Project Proposal Phase (as defined in the Eclipse Development Process document) and is written to declare its intent and scope. This proposal is written to solicit additional participation and input from the Eclipse community. You are invited to comment on and/or join the component. Please send all feedback to the eclipse.technology.emft newsgroup (please prefix the subject with [largeModel]).
At this year's (2007) Eclipse Summit Europe there was a workshop on this topic. For this workshop we had different position papers illustrating the different scalability issues people run into when working with EMF under the conditions outlined above. Some of these issues may be addressable by putting up guidelines for EMF usage. Some, however, may require changes or extensions to EMF and/or EMFT. It is in this project's interest to find this out.
- TODO add stuff from position papers here?
- (Axel:) Could we try to adhere to the style requested in the CfP (What are we trying to do with EMF? Why doesn't EMF currently let us do this? What would need to be done?)
The goal of this component is
- illustrating what is possible with today's emf facilities
- illustrating how to use these facilities
- provide input for EMF what has to be changed or added to make EMF more scalable for such large-scale models
- Axel Uhl (SAP) (Lead?)
- Simon Helsen (SAP)
- Bernd Kolb (Independent)
- Markus Voelter (Independent)
- Ed Merks (IBM)