IoT/M2MIWG/TLP Charter Draft
The Eclipse IoT Top Level project has been created.
This charter was developed in accordance with the Eclipse Development Process and will outline the mission, scope, organization, and development process for the Eclipse Internet of Things Project. This document extends the Eclipse Standard Top-Level Charter v1.1, and includes the required content and overrides which follow. It is anticipated that as the standard charter is updated, this charter will incorporate the changes and make adjustments as seen fit by the PMC, and with approval from the EMO and board of directors.
- Descriptive name: Eclipse Internet of Things
- Nickname: Eclipse IoT
The mission of the top-level project is to provide open source technology that will be used to build IoT solutions for industry and consumers. It will focus on:
- Standards and Protocols implementations that can easily be consumed by end solution developers as well as framework developers
- Frameworks and Services that abstract the complexity of hardware, communication and data stack manipulation
- Tools that facilitate the development of connected systems
- Solutions that build ready-to-run solutions based on the other building blocks
This document describes the composition and organization of the project, roles and responsibilities of the participants, and development process for the project.
The scope of Eclipse IoT is as follows:
- Implementation of standards and protocols applicable to IoT communications due to their nature (bandwidth efficiency, security, ...) This will include investigation and research related to future IoT standards and protocols.
- Implementation of low-level services (application management, device management, data management...) needed for enabling and simplifying the connection of systems with each other. It is expected these low-level services will enable cross-domain connectivity between different vertical/industry solutions. For example, the ability to connect vehicles on the road with homes, homes with energy services, energy services with wind mills, wind mills with weather forecast, etc.
- Implementation of high-level services that enable vertical applications whose primary goal is to connect devices, sensors and actuators.
- Tooling to enable the development and the operation of connected systems. Some of the tooling will be specific to the standards, protocols, frameworks and services but some tooling will also be specific to the requirements of embedded software development, ex (remote debug, deployment, test)
- Provide default builds for popular open hardware platforms
- Providing complete industry-oriented software solutions based on these building blocks
The projects under this top-level project will be implemented in a variety of programming languages. These projects will also target many different hardware and OS environments that are commonly used in different industries, such as embedded, SCADA, manufacturing, etc. However, all projects will be encourage to ensure their software is available for open hardware (ex. BeagleBone) and easily accessible hardware environments (ex. Raspberry Pi).
Projects under the IoT Top-Level Project are permitted to use one of the following two options:
- Eclipse Public License v1.0
- Eclipse Public License v1.0 and Eclipse Distribution License v1.0