Eclipse Kepler (4.3) Release Review - Mylyn Intent 0.8
Alex Lagarde (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Release Review : June, 2013
Process Documentation : http://www.eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/development_process.php
Intent is a tool allowing developers to easily write a documentation up-to-date with any development artifact (models, code, environment...).
The documentation, integrated with other Eclipse tools, then becomes truly useful and is no longer a burden that developer have to carry to please their customers or their project manager.
Based on Donald Knuth's Literate Programming concepts and allowing collaborative work around design tasks, Intent will try to reconcile developers with Documentation.
Fore more details about Intent scope, please refer to Intent Project mission statements
As listed in the Project Plan, Intent 0.8 provides the following features :
- Mylyn Intent : Intent generic components and authoring environment (editor, compiler, synchronizer...). Notice that it can be used in RCP mode as it is independant from core.resources
- Mylyn Intent - Workspace support: Required to make Intent work on an Eclipse workspace (specific views, project wizards...)
- Mylyn Intent - CDO support: Required to make Intent work on a CDO repository (specific views, project wizards...)
- Mylyn Intent Connector: Java: allows to directly drop java files/classes/methods inside an Intent doc an synchronize them
- Doc generators For Wikitext: A set of generators for Wikitext documents (Latex, html...)
- Doc generators For Intent document: A set of generators allowing to export an Intent Project to several formats (HTML Bootstrap...)
3 Committers from Obeo, and 2 individual committers.
Mylyn Intent 0.8 is still in incubation. When required for good reasons, we did break the previous 0.7 API (espicially because of model refactorings). We have made effort to make the API as complete as possible, but we do not forbid ourselves to make minor breaks in the API for the next year release. We may plan to graduate (move out from incubation phase) next year, and in that case we will define a stric policy in regards to API breaks.
The about files and use licenses are in place as per the Guidelines to Legal Documentation.
Here are the CQ still used by Intent 0.8 :
|6301||junit Version: 4.8.1 (PB Orbit CQ3678)||Common Public License 1.0||unmodified binary|
|6311||Guava Version: 11.0.2 (PB CQ7056)||Apache License, 2.0||unmodified binary|
And older CQs (for Intent 0.7)
|5305||Google Collections Version: 1.0 (PB Orbit CQ3679)||Apache License, 2.0||unmodified binary|
|6311||Guava Version: 10.0.1 (PB Orbit CQ6121)||Apache License, 2.0||unmodified binary|
All other contributions (code, documentation, images, etc) have been committed by individuals who are either Members of the Foundation, or have signed the appropriate Committer Agreement. In either case, these are individuals who have signed, and are abiding by, the Eclipse IP Policy. The other contributions of the IP log are not significant or are written 100% by employees of the same employer (Obeo) as the Submitting Committer (http://www.eclipse.org/legal/EclipseLegalProcessPoster.pdf).
The "provider" field of each plugin is set to "Eclipse Mylyn".
The "copyright" field of each plugin is set to the copyright owner.
Any third-party logos or trademarks included in the distribution (icons, logos, etc) have been licensed under the EPL.
The Intent 0.8 IP log is located at http://www.eclipse.org/projects/ip_log.php?projectid=mylyn.docs.intent
216 unit and integration tests are launched every day. We plan to improve this number to increase stability in the next releases.
Checkstyle activated on each distinct plug-in.
The Intent hudson builds relies on Jacoco to provide code-coverage informations automatically, and it is very easy to use Sonar to have informations about Intent code quality. Intent Sonar report is regulary refreshed by Nemo (although we still have to work on the code coverage, which is not correctly calculated).
Javadoc and comments represents more than 42% of the Intent Java source code.
Metamodel definitions and interfaces are considered APIs.
Although we plan to drastically improve Intent documentation (using Intent itself), here are the documentation available for Intent 0.8 : - an eclipse Help plugin providing a simple Getting Started Guide (under Mylyn User Guide) - a cheat sheet (automatically opened when creating an Intent project, this can be changed from preferences) allowing to easilly get started with Intent - the Intent wiki, that we try to make as complete as possible
Note: a "Closed" issue means that the issue has been validated on an official milestone. Hence there is no Intent issue that is "resolved" without being "closed", as all resolved issues have been validated on one of Intent RCs.
Bugzilla issues (all releases combined)
Bugzilla issues (only for Intent 0.8: issues created or resolved since Intent 0.7 release)
The UI follows the Eclipse user interface guidelines, if applicable.
End of Life
There are no specific end of life concerns for this release.
- Website: The Website has been reworked for the release and reflects the latest information
- User documentation: from eclipse help, in cheat sheets and from the Intent Wiki (which includes Getting Started Tutorials and some more detailed documentation).
- Full talk transcripts: every talk gave at technical conferences (like EclipseCon) are made available to readers Agile ALM Connect 2012 and EclipseConEurope 2011
- Video demonstrations : representative Intent video demonstrations are available on wiki
Basically, any relevant informations (new blog bost, getting started guides...) is listed in the useful links wiki page
Talks have been given on the following events:
- Mylyn Intent at EclipseCon France 2013 (coming in June 2013)
- Mylyn Intent at Agile ALM Connect 2013(EclipseCon 2013): http://www.eclipse.org/intent/pages/transcripts/2013_EclipseConBoston/Intent_EConBoston2013.html#1
- Documentation Driven Testing (approach based on Intent) at EclipseCon 2013 : http://www.eclipse.org/intent/pages/transcripts/2013_EclipseConBoston_DDT/DocDrivenTesting_EconBoston2013.html#1
- Interview about Intent on JAXenter http://jaxenter.com/eclipse-intent-being-agile-does-not-mean-being-short-sighted-45856.html
- Mylyn Intent at EclipseCon Europe 2012: http://www.eclipse.org/intent/pages/transcripts/2012_EclipseConEurope/Intent_EConEurope2012.html#1
- Mylyn Intent at Agile ALM Connect 2012 (EclipseCon 2012): http://www.eclipsecon.org/2012/sessions/create-useful-documentation-mylyn-intent-step-further-application-life-cycle-management.
- Mylyn Intent at EclipseCon Europe 2011: https://www.eclipsecon.org/submissions/2011/view_talk.php?id=2199
- Activity on the intent newsgroup (eclipse.intent): 40 messages on Intent from July 2012 to May 2013
- Twitter account of the Intent project: https://twitter.com/#!/Intent_project
Intent 0.8 Release Plan
- RC1 Wenesday, May 22
- RC2 Wenesday, May 28
- RC3 Wenesday, June 05
- RC4 Wenesday, June 12
- Final Wenesday, June 12
Intent 0.8 project plan is available at http://www.eclipse.org/projects/project-plan.php?projectid=mylyn.docs.intent