- 1 Eclipse Juno (3.8/4.2) Release Review - Mylyn Intent 0.7
- 2 Introduction
- 3 Features
- 4 Code Aspects
- 5 Non-Code Aspects
Eclipse Juno (3.8/4.2) Release Review - Mylyn Intent 0.7
Alex Lagarde (email@example.com)
Release Review : June, 2012
Process Documentation : http://www.eclipse.org/projects/dev_process/development_process.php
Intent is a tool allowing developers to easily write a documentation up-to-date with any development artifact (models, code, environment...).
The documentation, integrated with other Eclipse tools, then becomes truly useful and is no longer a burden that developer have to carry to please their customers or their project manager.
Based on Donald Knuth's Literate Programming concepts and allowing collaborative work around design tasks, Intent will try to reconcile developers with Documentation.
Fore more details about Intent scope, please refer to Intent Project mission statements
As listed in the Project Plan, Intent 0.7 provides the following features :
- Mylyn Intent IDE integration : An authoring environment allowing to create, manage and author Intent projects through the Eclipse IDE (editor, wizards...)
- Doc generators For Wikitext : A set of generators for Wikitext documents (Latex, html...)
- Doc generators For Intent document : A set of generators allowing to export an Intent Project to several formats (HTML Bootstrap...)
Notice that another (yet completely optionnal) feature provides an exemple of contribution to Intent. However, this feature is not included inside the juno update site, as it is targetting a contributor audience (available on the http://download.eclipse.org/intent/updates/milestones/0.7 update site).
3 Committers from Obeo, and 2 individual committers.
Mylyn Intent 0.7 is still in incubation, and moreover this is its first release. We have made effort to make the API as complete as possible, but we do not forbid ourselves to make minor breaks in the API for the next year release. We do not plan to graduate next year: next release will be Intent 0.8 and will stay in incubation phase.
The about files and use licenses are in place as per the Guidelines to Legal Documentation.
|5305||Google Collections Version: 1.0 (PB Orbit CQ3679)||Apache License, 2.0||unmodified binary|
|6301||junit Version: 4.8.1 (PB Orbit CQ3678)||Common Public License 1.0||unmodified binary|
|6311||Guava Version: 10.0.1 (PB Orbit CQ6121)||Apache License, 2.0||unmodified binary|
All other contributions (code, documentation, images, etc) have been committed by individuals who are either Members of the Foundation, or have signed the appropriate Committer Agreement. In either case, these are individuals who have signed, and are abiding by, the Eclipse IP Policy. The other contributions of the IP log are not significant or are written 100% by employees of the same employer (Obeo) as the Submitting Committer (http://www.eclipse.org/legal/EclipseLegalProcessPoster.pdf).
The "provider" field of each plugin is set to "Eclipse Mylyn".
The "copyright" field of each plugin is set to the copyright owner.
Any third-party logos or trademarks included in the distribution (icons, logos, etc) have been licensed under the EPL.
The Intent 0.7 IP log is located at http://www.eclipse.org/projects/ip_log.php?projectid=mylyn.docs.intent
150 unit and integration tests are launched every day. We plan to improve this number to increase stability in the next releases.
Checkstyle activated on each distinct plug-in.
The Intent hudson builds relies on JaCoCo to provide code-coverage informations automatically, and it is very easy to use Sonar to have informations about Intent code quality. Intent Sonar report is regulary refreshed by Nemo (although we still have to work on the code coverage, which is not correctly calculated).
Javadoc and comments represents more than 45% of the Intent Java source code.
Metamodel definitions and interfaces are considered APIs.
For the Intent 0.7 release, Intent documentation is being centralised on Intent wiki, as it is going to be regulary improved and completed. For the 0.8 release, we plan to provide an Eclipse Help plugin.
Note : these figures are subject to changes as the whole team is in the process of fixing bugs until the final release (this snapshot has been taken on Mai 22, 2011)
The UI follows the Eclipse user interface guidelines, if applicable.
End of Life
There are no specific end of life concerns for this release.
- Website: The Website has been reworked for the release and reflects the latest information
- User documentation: Intent Wiki includes Getting Started Tutorials and some more detailed documentation.
- Full talk transcripts: every talk gave at technical conferences (like EclipseCon) are made available to readers Agile ALM Connect 2012 and EclipseConEurope 2011
- Video demonstrations : representative Intent video demonstrations are available on wiki
Basically, any relevant informations (new blog bost, getting started guides...) is listed in the useful links wiki page
Talks have been given on the following events:
- Mylyn Intent at EclipseCon Europe 2011 : https://www.eclipsecon.org/submissions/2011/view_talk.php?id=2199
- Mylyn Intent at Agile ALM Connect 2012 (EclipseCon 2012) : http://www.eclipsecon.org/2012/sessions/create-useful-documentation-mylyn-intent-step-further-application-life-cycle-management.
- Activity on the intent newsgroup (eclipse.intent): 28 messages on Intent from June 2011 to May 2012
- Twitter account of the Intent project: https://twitter.com/#!/Intent_project
Intent 0.7 Release Plan
- RC1 Wenesday, May 23
- RC2 Wenesday, May 30
- Final Wenesday, May 30
Intent 0.7 project plan is available at http://www.eclipse.org/projects/project-plan.php?projectid=mylyn.docs.intent