Agenda and minutes for Community meeting May 1, 2008

From Eclipsepedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Aperi Wiki Home Aperi Community Meetings

Contents

Agenda

  1. Marketing - Spring SNW Feedback
  2. Development - Review items and timelines for Aperi M0.5 Slides
  3. Workgroup Update - Slides
    Summary of where we are for the workgroups: Launch in Context Standardisation, Production Ready Task Force and CMDB Integration. In each section we will discuss a quick status, describe the current activities, and provide insight into the next steps that we'll be taking (along with rough milestones)

Key Documents Under Discussion

Aperi Workgroup Status

SNW Planning Dashboard

SNW Sponsorship Agreement

Benefit Charts for Recruiting Vendors

Attendees:

Company Attendees
Brocade Absent
CA Absent
Cisco Absent
Emulex Absent
LSI Absent
Fujitsu Hiroshi Yoshida
IBM Russ Warren, Allen Marin, Martine Wedlake, Al Heitman
NetApp Absent
Novell Absent
YottaYotta Absent

Minutes

Marketing - Spring SNW Feedback – Russ Warren and Allen Marin

  • Allen Marin will be leaving the Aperi project. Russ thanked Allen for his contributions. Allen indicated that he has enjoyed working on Aperi for the last 2 years.
  • Spring SNW, overall was a good show. Representatives of IBM, NetApp and Yotta Yotta manned the Spring SNW Aperi booth. Russ and Allen indicated that they had talked to 100’s of folks during the conference. They received 40 leads from SNW spring show where Russ mentioned that 7 of the 40 leads were international companies. One interesting statistic from the survey results showed 13 of the 40 leads are currently using open source. It was thought that attendance wasn’t as large as SNW in previous years. Allen hasn’t seen the official attendance numbers yet but will post them once he receives them. Russ also gave a presentation on a introduction to storage management. Allen mentioned that some governments, like Germany, are requiring Open Source based solutions for government contracts. Russ mentioned that interest in the SAN Simulator is also growing. Allen is working on a tutorial for the Simulator which will be put on the Aperi website. Russ plans to work with Javier on a proposal from Javier to set up a user community. He wants to set up a forum so it’s easier to find solutions to common problems. There is a perception that lots of Aperi users have trouble getting started if they don’t read the documentation. It is hard to find solutions to common problems in the mail logs.

Development - Review items and timelines for Aperi M0.5 - Al Heitman

  • Refer to Slides
  • Al mentioned to improve interoperability between the Aperi SRM framework and vendor product management applications, the Aperi community is developing Launch In Context (LIC) and Single Sign On (SSO) capabilities. This development is broken into a 3 phased approach. Al mentioned that there are also updates for other desired functions coming, like Linux HA Cluster support, SAN Simulator updates, help system changes and a virtual fabric and fibre channel security spec. in the works.
  • Slide 2. This shows a high level overview of the major milestones with respect to the timeline. The first block on the left side of the diagram represents the SAN Simulator 0.2 milestone. IBM is working on an update for the SAN Simulator and is expected to be available in the 3rd quarter of this year. Then, after the SAN Simulator, Aperi has the 3 phased approach for the Aperi SRM framework milestone 0.5. The first phase includes Launch In Context architecture and specifications and support for Linux HA Cluster support. This will allow members of the community to start their designs to enable their element managers for LIC/SSO. Phase 2 is to provide a working framework for the Aperi community to use to enable their element managers for Launch In Context and Single Sign On and to test them in a standalone environment. And, finally, the ultimate goal of all this effort is an updated Aperi SRM release. Phase 3 is the integration of LIC/SSO into the Aperi SRM framework along with the other work items planned for this release.
  • Slide 3 shows the key milestones for the updated roadmap. The roadmap was approved back in March. IBM is currently working on a SAN Simulator update and is writing the test plan. Al still needs the updated milestones from the Novell folks for the Linux HA Cluster support. The availability of this function is subject to change. The Launch In Context and Single Sign On architecture and specifications are expected by the end of 2008. Phase 2 is to provide the Aperi community with a LIC/SSO framework and sample application. Phase 3 is to integrate the LIC/SSO framework into the Aperi SRM framework. The other key milestones are for legal approval, formal test and publish the milestone release. Let us know your plans for using SSO and LIC. We will need to plan for the integration of them into the Aperi SRM framework. You can either let Russ or Al know what your plans are. LIC/SSO isn’t very exciting if there is nothing to launch into!
  • Slide 4 shows the SAN Simulator milestones. The next release will include support for ESS CIM control calls rather than just the querying type calls. Support is also being added for Apache Derby database and support for multiple database instances. We are also adding support for the latest versions of DS 6000 and 8000. The rest of the milestones are for install updates, a code review, the help and publication updates and, finally, a formal test cycle. We are on track with these items and expect to have them complete in the 3rd quarter of this year.
  • Slide 5 shows the Aperi 0.5 phase 1 milestone dates. Al indicated he still needs the schedule milestones for the Linux HA Cluster Support from the Novell folks. He worked with Novell folks last month and they indicated they would be able to provide the schedule details sometime in May. So stay tuned! This item may move either in or out, pending the comeback from Novell. The other items are the design and specifications for the Launch In Context and Single Sign On framework. We expect to complete this phase by the end of the year or sooner.
  • Slide 6 shows the Aperi 0.5 phase 2 milestone dates. The main items in this phase are the prototype of the Launch In Context and Single Sign On framework and Sample Application and test environment. We will run this through a test cycle before publishing and write up a “How To” guide for the community.
  • Slide 7 shows the Aperi 0.5 phase 3 milestone dates. This is the 3rd and final phase to integrate the LIC/SSO framework into the SRM framework. We also want to remove the Java Help dependency by switching to an Eclipse based help system. Brocade is providing a Virtual Fabric and Fibre Channel security spec. Al met with Brocade last month and they indicated they will provide a schedule for this work soon. And lastly, there will be help and publication updates and a formal test cycle to verify all the new functions before publishing the Aperi SRM 0.5 release.
  • Slide 9 shows the Aperi downloads by country. There were 4 new countries that downloaded Aperi for the first time in March and April.
  • Slide 10 shows the April totals and running total. In April, there were 241 total downloads. There were 108 downloads of the SAN Simulator and 133 for the SRM framework. To date there have been 2,759 downloads of the Aperi open source products.

Workgroup Update - Slides - Martine Wedlake

  • Martin indicated that LIC enablement meeting meets every other Wednesday and the next meeting is scheduled for May 14. The group now has the model understood, ready to start on standards documents for SNIA. Martine plans to write a SCR (spec. change request) and start working through the SNIA process. He also indicated that there was interest in the last call to start prototyping. It helps for SNIA to have real world implementation to demonstrate proposal feasibility. Martine is on track to have a proposal to SNIA for their June meeting.
  • For the SMIS production ready task force, the group has cataloged the list of Aperi suggestions. Aperi tried to put as much value into the list of where Aperi can help. The next step is to take the info in the wiki page and put it into a presentation. Martine plans to do that by May 9. He contacted the production ready task force to present the results on May 12. Martine said the presentation isn’t the end game – he would like to see action items for the Aperi project as the result.
  • For the CIM DB/ COSMOS interaction, Martine created a prototype and integrated it into the bundle. The next steps are to clean up loose. He would also like to integrate that into Aperi. Martine indicated that there is lots of interest in SML for queries. If Aperi uses SML, we would fit in nicely with Cosmos. Martine is working on checking this in. Once that is complete, this workitem will be complete. Martine would like the Cosmos folks to join the LIC workgroup for the next phase.

Action items:

  • Al to add Martine’s items into the project plan.
  • Russ will set up next meeting and send out invitations